avrilt 26/02/17
Last reply 11 months ago
Work Adjustments

Hey

Ok so I put in a request in July 2016 to reduce my working hours – only to cut down by one day a week. I was told at the time that as our service was being reviewed it would be considered later. Anyway, I have heard nothing but on Friday I was feeling strangely brave so I asked my boss for a meeting to discuss.

Now I am feelin soooo much less brave and am now dreading my meeting with her. She is a pretty scary and excessively tall woman! Eeek, I am supposed to be good at dealing with situations like this and any confrontation- it’s my job! But I am so worried about meeting her. So my question is how do I put my point across – I don’t want to sound like an idiot. I just want an extract day of rest a week. I feel all I do just now is work then home with little energy for anything else. I reckon this will improve my whole work/life balance. I will be more alert for work and hopefully put me in a better place as I will have time to do some of the things I like. Plus I could use this time for appointments.

Anyway – anyone done this, how did it go? Any managers out there – how could I convince you?
Also, should say I work for a big organisation and Work in a team of about 10 so I’m not the only one doing the job, so I don’t have any special or special skills.

Please help!

Avril
X

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
11 months ago

@avrilt , if she knows about your MS then she is legally obliged to consider “reasonable adjustments” to help you keep working. The Equalities Act 2010 covers this.

But, don’t go in there quoting legislation. Just put forward your case as you have done above, i.e. that you’d like to cut your hours, as you’re finding it difficult to maintain a decent work/life balance.

You’re doing nothing wrong. You’re trying to resolve a problem before it has an impact……..

cameron
11 months ago

I was about to say that making the rest day the day you keep appointments would be a good point to bring up, as it would prevent you having to ask for time off – but of course you won’t be able to guarantee this, will you? Hospital appts can be any day of the week. So, it might be better to say that this is an aim. Perhaps concentrate more on the fact that you want to bring more energy to the days you’re in the office. Just my thoughts. x

naomih
11 months ago

There is a link between reduced hours and increased productivity. Figure out how the situation could be a positive for the company and frame it this way. I hope It goes well for you

stephz
11 months ago

Go into the meeting well prepared to make sure you stay on point – easy to get sidetracked and overwhelmed. List all your points you said above. I also suggest to ask if someone impartial can be there and send an email summary of the meeting to make sure when you first asked about reasonable adjustments and how this meeting went.

I did go to my HR manager – I work at a univeristy – and I actually discussed adjustments with occupational health. At no point was I required to talk to my direct supervisor (I did but it was nice to know I didn’t need to).

Good luck.

laineym
11 months ago

Do you have good quality long- term disability benefits? I do and the best advice I was given whilst working was don’t cut your hours as it will diminish the amount of LTD benefits you are eligible for later. I LOVED my job and never thought I would have to accept benefits, but I did and I am eternally grateful for that advice.

hels99
11 months ago

Speaking from a manager’s perspective, most are just interested in getting the work done. So, thinking about how the job could be covered might be helpful. That isn’t about saying you’ll do it all on the days you are in. If you’re reducing your days further than one day a week, they may be able to get another member of staff in part time or perhaps some of your role could be delegated to a junior member of staff as a development opportunity (I have done this following a requests to reduce hours from a team member (before my diagnosis!), I didn’t bite them and it worked out fine 🙂 ).
I know exactly how you feel, I’ve just started a new job and am straight back to working and sleeping and not a lot else. Need the income at the moment so have asked for flexibility (I did talk to occupational health who put that in their recommendations) around some working from home which makes a massive difference.
Good luck!

uptoeleven
11 months ago

I can’t advise you on what to do in terms of what to say. But I can say this:

Get a piece of paper NOW – and when you think of a salient point that would help – that would make it look positive from their perspective – write it down.

Carry a pen and this paper with you everywhere and whenever you think of something to bring up in the meeting – write it down.

In the meeting – it doesn’t matter if you go to pieces – you have the piece of paper with YOUR agenda on it.

avrilt
11 months ago

Hey!

That you all for your advice it’s really helpful and much appreciated I will take on board all your comments as I prepare for this meeting.

Avril x

kea21
11 months ago

Hi Avril,

To be honest I would have kept my mouth shut!
Be there done that,even had a letter from my doctor to request reduced hours! I was still putting in 50+ hours for my 40 hour pay.
They are always nice as pie to your face,But management can NEVER been trusted,
To cut a long story, Unless you are very saleable?
I was kicked out after 26 years! Wonder why?
I took them to court_Nothing to loose and did get compensation,But obviously they denied that it had anything to do with my MS???
If they persieve you won’t or can’t be up to scratch they will find an excuse no matter the law!
Tread carefully!

John

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.