Last reply 3 months ago
Will it ever get easier?

I grew up without family and was forced to fend for myself, and I did. Before I knew it, I was in my early twenties working as a paramedic (living my dream!). Finally all of my hard work paid off and then I lost all feeling in my hands.

After a year of being poked and prodded I was finally diagnosed with RRMS. Goodbye career and goodbye fiancé. I figured that it is too easy to throw myself a pity party and rebuild instead. Tecfidera will help me continue to bodybuild and I will find a new source of income.

4 years pass and I am doing better. It’s not easy but the dogs and I finally found a new partner who accepts me for who I am (phew!).

Life is great, I have two dogs that make me happier than life itself, I was lucky enough to find the woman of my dreams and I am making more money than I ever thought that this disease would allow me to.

In January 2018, my neurologist tells me that I am to come off my medications as he would now like me to take Mavenclad. I oblige. Fast forward to the summer (and the extreme heat that it brought). I have a relapse. I’m unable to walk and my tongue feels as if it is too large for my mouth. Now I’m not eating or drinking.

After several months and a trip to the ED. My neurologist begrudgingly gives me a script for prednisone but it comes with another script and a warning that I would be further prone to infection and I would likely develop Shingles. He tells me that the steroids will not heal me but will help to accelerate the healing.

…..Worth it. I just want to walk again (and return to work so I can pay my bills).

The next day, my tongue felt normal and I could stand. This minor success was met with a neural itch that could not be satiated without gabapentin.

Long story short, it is now six months later and I still can’t walk. I have now lost two more jobs due to my gait and am struggling to survive.

It’s terrifying but I figure that all I can do is try…..

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

supermum1983
3 months ago

@homer29 you seem so brave, do they want to try any other treatment, or do you feel wary?? I’m new to this site and to been diagnosed as well.

stumbler
3 months ago

@homer29 , you’ve come so far since the initial diagnosis, you didn’t deserve this knockback.

You’ve recovered once, you can do it again.

grandma
3 months ago

@homer29, I’m really surprised that you have lost your employment, I always thought that Canada was a foreword thinking, modern country. I’m really surprised that they allow such treatment. I won’t be buying any more maple syrup🥊👹😜

homer29
3 months ago

@stumbler thanks so much for the kind words. It can feel very discouraging at times!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.