Last reply 6 years ago
Why not at home?

Im fine walking at home and most time at work though sometimes I use a stick. Today walking around Chester i used my stick. My eyes seem to struggle tracking people in town. Why is that? It also really annoyed me today paople were stating at me. I felt like shouting yes i am a young man with a walking stick how f*****g strange. Sorry rent time over 🙂

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

scotkiwi
6 years ago

Yup I agree. I have a crutch that I use, instead of a stick.
Managing perception I guess – not that I particularly care what people think – but it makes me look like I have hurt my leg playing sport rather than a 30yr-something using a walking stick…
Male pride maybe….? Hmm…

carolyn22
6 years ago

Yeah I feel the same about my stick….. I feel it add another 10yrs on me so I guess there’s a bit of pride going on there!!!

Anonymous
6 years ago

I just recently got a stick…and have had the hardest time bringing myself to use it outside where people can see me. I know its ridiculous to an extent…but I just haven’t been able to will myself to do it. Thankfully the last day or two I’ve been walking much much better (my gait/limp issues seem to come and go a lot. One day I can barely walk at all the next I’m walking with barely a limp. *shrug*).

CClaire
6 years ago

Hi Dan,

Maybe people were staring – maybe they were being very rude, maybe you had heightened awareness of everyone else. I went to talk to a neuropsychologist. I said I felt that everyone was staring if I wobbled. He talked about something called the ‘bell curve’ theory.

Imagine the curve of a bell – at one side are some people, who couldn’t give a damn, at the other side are other people, who carry very much, and are very concerned to see a young man walking with a stick – most people are on the curve, and are somewhere in the middle. If I go to have a self-consious moment, i take a deep breath and say ‘Bell curve’ myself.

The benefit of a stick is that it could be used as an offensive weapon if necessary. Forget the world, think of the world of Dan.

danrb80
6 years ago

CClaire thanks for that i will remember that it is a potential weapon. Haha thnx

brick
6 years ago

LOL Ive just read the post and couldnt stop laughing because of all the rude innuendo. Sorry.

I’ve had my stick for over 2 years now and it was odd at first to use it in public but you do get used to it, after a while. Im only 30 so its a bit of a novelty to others and i find it a good ice breaker. Im still reasonably stable on my legs but at times when im not concetrating on walking/standing; my legs just give way and if I didnt have the stick, i’d be on the floor. Whats worse is im quite a big lad (19stone) so its slightly harder for others to catch me.

I love being asked by strangers ‘How did you hurt yourself ?’
As I retort quickly “Ive got MS”
I love watching them squirm trying to think of the next question or they shut the F*$£ up. If they are genuinely interested in me then they will want to know more.
I think its good to spread the knowledge of MS and what it is
as too many people dont know about it.
In night clubs it has been used as a lap dancing pole so it can be quite amusing as well.

look people stare but fuck it your

brick
6 years ago

LOL Ive just read the post and couldnt stop laughing because of all the rude innuendo. Sorry.

I\’ve had my stick for over 2 years now and it was odd at first to use it in public but you do get used to it, after a while. Im only 30 so its a bit of a novelty to others and i find it a good ice breaker. Im still reasonably stable on my legs but at times when im not concetrating on walking/standing; my legs just give way and if I didnt have the stick, i\’d be on the floor. Whats worse is im quite a big lad (19stone) so its slightly harder for others to catch me.

I love being asked by strangers \’How did you hurt yourself ?\’
As I retort quickly \”Ive got MS\”
I love watching them squirm trying to think of the next question or they shut the F*$£ up. If they are genuinely interested in me then they will want to know more.
I think its good to spread the knowledge of MS and what it is
as too many people dont know about it.
In night clubs it has been used as a lap dancing pole so it can be quite amusing as well.

look people stare but f$£k it your still you dont be put off by it engage with them and spread the word about MS

reddivine
6 years ago

Yep, I usually say – “I have a stick and I know how to use it”. Plus there are other uses….demolishing display in shops, when attempting to pay, stopping lift doors or automatice doors from closing on you. Shoving annoying little dogs out of your way. PLUS people are more likely to give up their seat in a bus/train/undergroud………
Customise it. Get funky paints or transfers. And as @brick says…there is always the Lapdancing angle!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.