Last reply 8 months ago
Why I'm here

After I was diagnosed, I asked the same questions that I’m sure all, or at least most will ask…now what?! I was on the path to becoming a police officer and that came to an abrupt end. After several years of “trying to find where I fit” I became a financial advisor. I love it! I am currently talking to everyone I can find who has a chronic medical condition, ms or otherwise, who doesn’t think they can get life insurance (Canadian specific). I received a new policy 11 years after my diagnosis. It CAN be done! Also, if you have the disability tax credit, have you heard about the RDSP? Most people either don’t have the tax credit and even if they do, they have never heard of the RDSP. Its a government funded savings program that includes grants for low income families. Its something that everyone with a chronic condition should have or at least know about. It makes a huge difference for many peoples future.
After several years of searching, I found out why I’m here.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

wjgregg
8 months ago

Good man, yourself, Marcus. Well done for putting that information out there.

I was very lucky in that I kept paying my premiums, even when it was tough to do so, and my critical illness cover came through for me. It has made a massive difference to the level of stress that I would have experienced, since I am no longer able to work.

Best wishes,

Jon

marcus
8 months ago

Im glad you were able to take advantage of one of the least used insurances out there. I, unfortunately didn’t have it before I was diagnosed. That’s ok though, I consider myself very fortunate as I am still pretty healthy 12 years in.
All the best to you Jon.

wjgregg
8 months ago

Thanks Marcus. I was a self-employed criminal barrister for 27 years. I took it out at the same time as my pension. It was the best decision I ever made (unlike the pension, which is very disappointing…).

My mobility has been shot to hell, and I find writing very difficult. When I add that to the cognitive/memory problems, the career at the Bar had to come to an abrupt end, sadly.

Jon

Cheers

edmontonalberta
8 months ago

@marcus

I am losing track here… Ten years ago you were a Zrii distributor (multi-level marketing). Six years ago you were a Reiki Master apprentice. Less than two years ago you started working for someone who has the same last name as you in a small investment / financial planning company he owns. Am I correct?

Regarding the financial advisor aspect, can you name a stock that pays 10% annually that is listed on the TSE / TSX? Paying 10% annually in cash; broken down into monthly dividends?

marcus
8 months ago

Thanks for asking. Yes to all of those. As I said, I was trying to find where I fit. My brother has been in the financial world for 20 years and, because his business is growing, asked if I would like to join him. I did, and here I am.
I don’t trade stocks on the exchange so I wont be able to answer your questions, although if anyone could guarantee a 10% return, run away.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.