chicolini910 19/11/17
Last reply 5 months ago
Wheelchair transition

Is there anyone out there that has had to transition (slowly) to a wheelchair? How hard was it for you?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

bok2bjan
5 months ago

Hi @chicolini910 – I’m at that place in my MS journey. I use canes, arm crutch, and walker – but have made an appointment with the wheelchair clinic. First available is in January. I’m struggling with the fact that I can still walk – most of the time – but sometimes the numbness and weakness in my right leg and foot are too bad to bear weight. Plus balance problems cause falls (and tripping over stuff). I can’t walk any distance without severe back, hip, and leg/ foot pain.

I only qualify on my US Medicaid – for a wheelchair used in the home. That’s where I need it the least – altho even in this tiny home, I dread having to “walk” to the kitchen from my bedroom! I really need it when out having to walk any distance – but getting it to my car, in and out of the car – in and out of the house (with stairs) – seems impossible! I live alone, so it’s up to me. Basically – I fear losing my independence. Plus I’m trying to train my own service dog, so would love to have a motorized chair to take her for walks.

SO – it’s a tough time. What’s your situation? I assume you too are facing this as well. What type chair do you qualify for? Questions, questions, lol. But it’s nice to not feel alone when facing change. I hope we can chat about it. Blessings, Jan

bok2bjan
5 months ago

Hi again – just saw your profile – I paint as well. I started with oil, but now do watercolor. Specifically – watercolor portraits of pets. I love doing pencil drawings as well. I got my first symptoms and lesions in 2000 – but wasn’t dx until 08. Crazy thing – I had so many other autoimmune diseases – my doctor never suspected MS – even tho I had obvious neurological events – TN, foot drop, and several other strange things. Mine is SPMS – is your neuro sure yours is still RR? Blessings

Anonymous
5 months ago

@chicolini910 hi I’m at a very similar place to you & @bok2bjan I can still walk but it’s painful & the distances before the pains too much is getting shorter. I got a wheelchair in April this year. I primarily got this so my partner & daughter could get out more easily & I could go further with on my own. I didn’t get on with it as my arms are very weak. I’m looking into a mobility scooter now.

All the best,
Craig

mmhhpp
5 months ago

Hi @chicolini910 i am in a mobility scooter user full time and i am really happy about it. The transition was awful. Walking slowly with a walker , arms getting tired going into panic mode and unable to walk few steps to sofa made my life miserable. I have 2 kids we barely did go out and when out I would stay inside car while them in the park.

Now it is great! They are on bikes and me on a scooter we can do and go to so many places!

I regret not have taken decision earlier!

It’s not the end being on a wheelchair there are other aspects of ms more challenging and upsetting believe me!

I hope you find the best solution!

Take care xxx

mmhhpp
5 months ago

Oh! And like you i have been on gilenya from the start and it has not stopped progression 😒

grahamjk
5 months ago

Hi @chicolini910 I can’t speak regarding a wheelchair but if I go anywhere that requires walking any distance I use a scooter and although sometimes I feel a bit of a prat, I know I have to use it so if I look silly on it, tough.

bok2bjan
5 months ago

I totally agree that it actually helps those we’re with too – since they don’t have to go slow, or not do things with you. I wish I could get a scooter or electric wheelchair. But alone, I don’t think I could get it in and out of the van. Can’t afford all the fancy equipment unfortunately. Makes me sad. I want to be able to go to the zoo or walks with my grandkids and kids. And walk my dog! Sigh..

edgarleroy
5 months ago

It’s a tool to help you get around. It can be a big help as well as being necessary.

spooney
5 months ago

spooney
5 months ago

The only good thing about being in a wheelchair is that a pair of shoes now really do last a life time.

chicolini910
5 months ago

Thanks for all the feedback on wheelchair necessity. I suppose I should make more use of my scooter and make my husband carry it around in and out of the car.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.