Last reply 3 years ago
wheelchair advice

Is an expensive lightweight wheelchair easier to manoeuvre and manipulate than the one supplied by the NHS? Or would I need to work on and beef up upper body strength? The wheelchair models I’m looking at are made by Quickie, RGK or DaVinci. I need a folding chair to stick it in the boot of the car and stash away. Experience/thoughts most welcome.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@samuelmanual , you need to be able to try these out before you commit to buying them.

I have a “lightweight” self-propelled Karma 115. I’m no slouch, a regular swimmer and Pilates, but any incline is very laborious!

Also, I’m having problems getting it in and out of the car. It’s not so much the weight, more my lack of balance! So, I’m going for a small hoist in the back of my car (it’ll manage my fishing chair too!).

reddivine
3 years ago

Trying hiring first. This helped me realise i needed back brakes. I have a Karma Ergo, weigh 6kg, and like you needed it to go in car.

i had to realise my upper body strength was none existent and get a power pack to turn it in to a power chair.

good place to go is the mobility roadshow….http://www.mobilityroadshow.co.uk/

hoytfreak
3 years ago

I am using a motion composites veloce. It’s very light and with the pneumatic tires I am able to go anywhere except through mud. Lol

bobster
3 years ago

I use one occasionally, I didn’t go for the NHS model as it was too heavy, I got vouchers from the hospital for the price of the one they were offering and bough the Quickie Life, its great. Fairly light and can be put in and out of car boot quite easily.

bobster
3 years ago

much easier to manoeuvre

Anonymous
3 years ago

hi I bought mine from angel mobility on the internet very light weight easy too move plastic wheels nice and light didn’t wait for nhs to supply me with one,as I get mobility income I thought they are paying for it in a round about way.

hoytfreak
3 years ago

The veloce I have now is a demo unit, I have an appointment with my occupational therapist Friday to order my own. The only thing that I am going to change is the pinstripes from grey to red.

graham100
3 years ago

The NHS is obviously changing. I was refereed by my GP. And was very surprised to find that I have been measured up for a custom built kuschall even had colour choice. There was bright yellow/black or orange/black. Like Ms colour. I went for red/black. It’s really sporty. Waiting for it at mo. Could take couple of months, so don’t spend a fortune. I bought my own at first. If you want a really top one. Google carbon black? Amazing but 10 to 15k. How much, yep. Crazy.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.