Anonymous 13/05/15
Last reply 3 years ago
whats this called?

i keep getting pains up the back of legs.Its very hard to describe-sort of feels like the pain you get when you over stretch your legs,or extreme numbness.when it comes on i can hardly walk at all.I saw a gp who said he would ask neuro for stronger drugs and get back to me…..that was 2 week ago!!!
anyone know these pains and how better to describe them than this???

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

krisp
3 years ago

Is it like a cramp type pain but not quite a full cramp ?
I’m not diagnosed but I get that type of pain along with sharp pains intermittently

Anonymous
3 years ago

hi krisp,yes that sounds nearly right…i get numbness,pains,tingles,burning but never interferes with walking— but when this particular thing comes on whatever it is it stops me walking!!
its like overstretching permanatly, but worse than that?

krisp
3 years ago

Yeah I get that too and the pains when I’m say down
How are you getting on anywya? With testing diagnoses etx

stumbler
3 years ago

Guys, I don’t like the term, but does this describe the problem:-

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/spasticity.jsp

Anonymous
3 years ago

yep stumbler,thats sounds like it very much-but also with ice cold numbness mixed in too!

krisp ive had mri and vep-and a very likely ms diagnosis,i have coped upto now but now im struggling more and more.

krisp
3 years ago

Why mate what are yu struggling with?
Have they started you on meds yet?
What was your first attack?

Anonymous
3 years ago

walking mainly getting more and more limited now,all have got is amitriptyline.am gonna have to chase up something for the legs

krisp
3 years ago

I think they give baclofrn?
Try tonic water first to see if that helps and magnesium

stumbler
3 years ago

Guys, Baclofen is a muscle-relaxant, so would potentially address this.

However, it can be a double-edged sword. You have to find the right dose for you to manage the spasticity, without relaxing the muscles too far to give you “jelly legs”!

Magnesium supplements and the quinine in tonic water can help as well.

Anonymous
3 years ago

I agree with @stumbler. I break the 10mg baclofen tabs in half with 2 fingers and take as needed. That works for me without jelly legs. You have to experiment with it. It’s a balancing act! xanax also helps out but beware of fatigue.

Anonymous
3 years ago

i usually cant stand tonic water but have forced it down.I know its only been 2 days but i have had no problems since–so thanks for the help everyone.
why cant the gp tell you this lol

graham100
3 years ago

Tonic water, yuk. But reading this I’m willing to give it a go. And the baclofen and pregabalin I keep trying but every time I do, nxt day can’t stand up my lower back goes. Not legs? Stop and back to can stand but can hardly move legs. Right one mainly. So stiff sometimes can’t get it in the car door. Lol. Nightmare.

Anonymous
3 years ago

@Grahmn, I have the same problem with too much baclofen, but need it to battle spasticity. That for me is when my muscles are too stiff to move. My right side is damaged as well and have the same problem getting into my car. I found by splitting 10mg tabs of baclofen in half and taking 1 half every 4 hours works well. Pregabalin is used for treating nerve pain for me. The side effect prevents nerves from working properly to use as in walking. So be measured in your use. I would not be able to walk much at all without the help of dalfampridine. That enables damaged nerves to work better. There is a careful balancing act to get it right, but it can be done. Be well!

graham100
3 years ago

Hi orlando27. If it works for you thats good, I was put on baclofen first, after a year and going from still playing golf to not able to walk one hole, I stopped taking it. Now as I said legs really stiff going on something else starting tomorrow, can’t remember it’s name but 2mg tabs? 3times a day. Just got a bottle of soda water. Will try, fingers crossed. Neurologists also told me, No big meals. Always felt worse after dinner. My wife said don’t be stupid you have to eat, so now she believes me. Lol. It’s a 1st.

Anonymous
3 years ago

I don’t even mind the taste anymore!!–good luck @graham100

graham100
3 years ago

Hi @ironribs. Actually with orange squash. It tastes ok. Will drink for a while and see how I feel. Also got green tea. That’s ok too.

Anonymous
3 years ago

Its nasty stuff on its own,im masking it with fresh orange too.I might even slip some vodka in and see how long before anyone notices lol

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.