Last reply 2 weeks ago
What's my rights

Hi I ain’t posted her for a while.. I need a bit of advise. I am a maintenance electrician in a factory I am starting to struggle to pull my tool box to and from different machine breakdowns. I have asked my manager if I could get a self propelled electric tool box. I have done my own research and they are available but very very expensive. Where do I stand if he say’s no..have the got to accommodate me?
I have worked for this company for 8 months. The head hunted me and have known about my ms from the start

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 weeks ago

@bungle , a lot rests on the definition of “reasonable adjustments”. I’m afraid the law is a bit woolly.

If your employers won’t help you with this “reasonable adjustment”, then consider this Government scheme :-

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work

guinness
3 weeks ago

@bungle, I’ve just read your previous posts, is this the new, 2 hr drive job, and did you move house

vixen
3 weeks ago

Hello @bungle, I imagine that this would constitute a reasonable adjustment, as this has to cover modifications to equipment necessary to do your job. Are you in a union? If not, join, dude. Keep flying the flag for workers rights 🙂

bungle
3 weeks ago

Guiness
I took a job that’s 10mins from my house and is mainly indoors.its suiting me and my ms a lot better than the other job would have. As for the house my house is going up for sale after Christmas

guinness
3 weeks ago

@ bungle, thank you for replying I hope I can help, when you started your new job, did you make the company aware of your ms and what you can easily do and what you may struggle with in the yrs to come? Did you get a Contract of Employment ? Did you read it , sign it, return it, and receive a copy back? Have you got a HR department? Are you a paid up member of a Recognised Trade Union and if so which one? Have you got a Union Rep on site? Sorry for all the questions, I was a Union Rep for some 20 yrs, so am looking at your situation from all angles.

bungle
2 weeks ago

@guiness yes I told them from the start about my ms. I told them what symptoms I have and how it affects me. They asked me if they needed to adapt anything for me… I don’t need anything adapted. There is a union where I work and i am seeing them tomorrow to join.. There is a hr department. When i first started i had a call from the company’s insurance they asked what symptoms I have and medication etc… I was asked if I could do my job…YES I can do my job and still can I just need a aid now to make my life easier

guinness
2 weeks ago

i’m sending you a friends request

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.