Last reply 1 month ago
What makes your eyes roll?

A lot of people don’t understand what MS actually is and how it feels, it’s easy for non-MSers to say the wrong thing.

“Yeah, I get quite tired too..” “You don’t look like you’re ill”

We asked our Twitter followers what things people have said that’s made their eyes roll the most. We made a short vid with some of the most popular ones.

Have they missed anything? What makes your eyes roll? πŸ™„

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

grandma
2 months ago

The usual, being mistaken for being pi..ed as a next at 8 o’clock in the morning, people saying you don’t look ill and the number of people who look at the mobility scooter and say “do you really need that” I don’t get that when I’m in the electric wheelchair, but as it has no basket on the front I tend not to use it when I’m doing a bit of shoppingπŸ‘ΉπŸ˜

cameron
2 months ago

‘Why don’t you get a stick? They have some really fashionable ones these days’.

doubleo7hud
2 months ago

Too much coffee

peterfrancis
2 months ago

I saw this on Facebook yesterday and left a comment, what really irritates me are the questions people ask, such as, “How are you?”, “Feeling any better?”… I know they mean well and it’s polite but, seriously.

rivka
2 months ago

@peterfrancis, I so agree. The conversations are always awkward for me. β€œ(Them)How are you?” β€œ (Me)fine thanks.” Thinking we can move on from my health to the rest of life and the world but no….”(them) oh, great! You’re better then! Glad you got better!”
Argh. Eye roll.

jreberg74gmail
2 months ago

They were on sale and i thought of you, so i bought you a cane. (I currntly do not use one).

peterfrancis
2 months ago

@rivka

I fear that them moving on to talk about other things would be even more of a Headache, for example, whatever crap is being sold to the masses on TV as worthwhile entertainment, usually with Simon Cowell’s name stamped all over it.

rivka
2 months ago

@peterfrancis, point well taken. Or worse, tell me about the diet they heard would cure MS.

peterfrancis
2 months ago

@rivka

LOL!, Oh my… Not had the Diet one thrown at me yet.
My Uncle thought that Physiotherapy would get me walking fully and unsupported again… how wrong he was, lol.

They mean well, may be just have nothing of any relevance to say, so feel the need to resort to sharing their “Knowledge”… Based on seeing a Doctor on TV once.

cosine
1 month ago

@ peterfrancis

How are you is a generic question!! You must get upset alot !

I know what you mean though. Maybe if they said. ” How are you relatively? ”

beky
1 month ago

Just the other day a friend said, ‘you dont seem that tired, my cousin and ME and shes always tired, is it ME or MS you have, theyre similar arnt they?’

jolea
1 month ago

Hi.
Someone in work said to me “how long will it take before you need a wheelchair or will you walk with a stick first.
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Lol. LJl.πŸ˜€

karen51
1 month ago

Ah yes! Not only the offering of the latest diet but also the latest vitamin supplement or “magic potion” that is under development in some obscure research facility. Because, you know, what do have to lose? There aren’t any other treatments anyway. (Why not give me your money so I can make a profit off of selling my snake oil?) (I have PPMS)

rae87
1 month ago

“can you still *insert random activity here*”
I’ve been asked twice this last week how long before I can’t walk anymore…
Apparently I shouldn’t dye my hair or go on holiday… Suddenly everyone’s a neurologist

jane_watts
1 month ago

Everyone here (incl myself) yes we’ve all had the same questions same comments & more besides. Lol
We really should print up a tee shirt with varied questions etc on incl ‘shift-MS’, on wonder would that help the penny drop for these ppl?
Then market the t-shirts, proceeds too shift MS….. I wonder πŸ€”
Just an idle thought no offence intended

Jane πŸ’œ

dominics
1 month ago

Initially it was being asked if I had tried every wack-job ‘cure’ that was in the – insert name of low-grade publication here – as apparently it is really effective and so on and so forth.

Now, whenever I do something in the gym (I was a lot fitter than I am these days) people express amazement that I ‘can do it with MS’. I fight the urge to throttle them.

beauty_mark
1 month ago

The best was when I ask the pharmacy technician to not call my home number to confirm the delivery of my medication as my father doesn’t understand English very welll to which she replied- β€œIs it really because you don’t want your father to know you’re sick?” Or when she asked me how I was doing on the medication and I told her I was doing well to which she responded, β€œOh thank god. People on this medication have no quality of life and are always sick.”

andysshere
1 month ago

when other people make a big thing about how they have got the flew and are not feeling one hundred percent and everything is so hard . i feel like shouting welcome to my everyday life .

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.