Last reply 3 years ago
what kind of hobbie do you lot get up to

i do archery im not great and my ms really limits my archery but i keep going i keep trying and i find ways to keep shooting
ive recently had to give in and start shooting from my wheelchair as getting up and down to my shooting stool was getting dangerous as i kept nearly falling over lol but as always my club have come together and helped me make the change even people lending me a different type of bow so i can keep shooting.
what hobbies do you lot do ? how do you get around ms and the limitations it can produce ?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

angelbum
3 years ago

Used to like archery . Like fishing . Swimming . Clay pigeon shooting . Weights . Obviously I’m not able to do as much as before . The weather in Scotland very cold in winter stay indoors a lot . ReAlly depends on fatigue levels . Had a relapse in Dec since then haven’t done much . Now currently got some glandular throat bug high temp been in bed for day s as it increased my other symptoms x 10 but I have been using the archery app on my phone 🙂

simone2
3 years ago

Hi, I do horse riding which great for balance and its good way of getting around without getting too fatigue (just the horse)
also I do Taichi which is brillant for calming nerves and balance and I do lots of walking.

outlier
3 years ago

Hi guys, I’ve been going to the gym 2/3 times a week for quite a while, im sure that counts as a hobby? Also tried wheelchair curling at the start of the year, this turned out to be much more fun than i thought, slightly addicted to it now 🙂

I tried wheelchair tennis which was great fun, but my body generated lot of heat during this and this causes me all sorts of problems symptom wise, so decided it wasnt for me after about 8 sessions.

Was swimming a lot last year too, but had to put this on hold when the pool closed down for the commonwealth games and never got back into the swing of things.

I’m up for trying most things that keep me active, would love to hear what everyone else gets up to.

Archery sounds good, might see if theres any local clubs i could go try things out.

stumbler
3 years ago

I’m a swimmer, three times a week. I also do a Pilates and a Yoga class, which are good for social interaction.

Now the weather’s warming up, I’ll be taking myself fishing. It’s a great excuse to sit somewhere pretty, on a nice day and do absolutely nothing! 😉

Anonymous
3 years ago

I have a horse and love to ride in the forest at the weekend. I’m hoping to ride more now we have the light nights.

I spend far to much time looking at horses!

xander
3 years ago

outlier
3 years ago

I’ll check that out bud, cheers

simone2
3 years ago

Hi Sandwich, I have horse too and have rode for over 40 years but since having MS I have trouble with trotting keep losting my balance, just wonder if you have any problems when riding? would be nice if that was the only problems we all had!
Sue

Anonymous
3 years ago

@simone2

Hi Sue,

Lovely to hear of another horsey person on here!
I’m always happy to talk horses.

I’m really lucky at the moment as my ms is quiet. Apart from not being able to ride during a relapse I haven’t been affected.

I’ve looked into saddle modifications for the future though and found somewhere that makes them with adaptations. I can try to find the link out if you like?

Alternatively have you thought about trying a western or Australian stock saddle? I’m wondering if they’ed give more support.

simone2
3 years ago

Hi, You can send me private email [email protected]

katniss
3 years ago

Hi all,

I’m also an archer, am buying a new recurve bow and having to draw a lower weight due to weakness in my arm.

🙂

Kat

melaniemann
3 years ago

I swim twice a week and can cycle for hours and do this as much a possible. I had a go at fly fishing Easter Sunday for the first time. I caught a rainbow trout, which I had for tea. I am so eager to pursue this more and so hope to take this up as my new ‘hobby of the year’ to add to the others. I always find it amazing that I can cycle so much yet can only walk a short way?
Also, I don’t horse ride but when in Australia 15 years ago, went on a 3 hour rainforest and beach ride, which included very uneven surfaces such as down into ditches and up hills, ducking under heavy vegetation, and we all had western saddles, which I couldn’t do this ride without and this was before I developed MS. I felt so secure in the saddle whilst being thrown about from side to side and lurching forward.

katniss
3 years ago

Melanie, I’m the same I can only walk a short distance but can bike a long way. I’m thinking of changing to a trike though as I worry about balance.

Kat

cazzzzzy
3 years ago

Yoga! I go to Yoga classes for MSers and it is done on chair and floor … I also do my daily morning workouts, helps me tremendously! 😀

Also meditation which I love!

xxx

xander
3 years ago

hi @katniss what bow are you looking at ? the hoyt horizon is one of the lightest about and good too boot 🙂

xander
3 years ago

melaniemann
3 years ago

It is strange Kat, when I get off my bike I have to stand stock still for about 5 mins before I can move at all. I bike about 10 miles in an outing but fortunately don’t wobble yet. I’m sure it will come! Trikes are quite the fashion statement of bikes at the moment. I think they look cool and you can customise them too.

andyc67
3 years ago

me n the missus love getting out on the road, do a few hundred miles in a day , the open road is great and I love to cheese off car drivers as it’s really good fun and just has to be done. Makes me smile when one wants to race , my old bike (ZZR14) used to break 200mph so not many if any would win. got a slower one now though. getting a bit older you see. The dreaded MS won’t stop me enjoying what I like best. Nor will do Gooders , it’s a great hobby and I really just do not care what anyone thinks.

tiggermum
3 years ago

I get outside as much as possible. We walk miles (or seems like) sometimes – me with my two sticks or holding Andy’s arm like an old lady – but then I suppose I am.
I need to find a good yoga class locally, and also get back into swimming, which I love.
My other hobby is baking. If I am stressed, then I will bake all day, until our freezer is full. Not very healthy I know, but anything must be good in small doses.

Since losing our dog, we get out more for weekends away, somewhere pretty, quiet and accessible. This weekend, we are off to the Lake District as a birthday treat for me. 🙂

katniss
3 years ago

Hey @Zander,

I bought a recurve bow, it’s quite traditional looking..I can’t use my longbow anymore. I had go on a Hoyt, I think it was a Buffalo and I loved it but sadly it isn’t available here in the UK and I’m damned if I’m paying import charges! 😀

Kat x

Anonymous
3 years ago

white water kayaking is my preferred drug of choice, sit down let the river do the hard work and just enjoy the ride.

xander
3 years ago

@katniss ive always been a fan of hoyt 🙂 the buffalo i think is a hunting bow thus wont be sold in the uk why have you had to stop shooting a long bow ? my m8 makes them to what ever poundage if this helps 🙂

graham100
3 years ago

Unfortunately my hobbies were golf, can’t take wheelchair on the green so that’s gone. Dancing, also not really possible. So it’s now watching other people enjoying there hobbies and moaning. On shift. I’m having a ball,, lol.

katniss
3 years ago

@Zander, ah that explains it.

I just suddenly felt that my long bow didn’t ‘fit’ I can’t really explain it? This modern recurve is pretty good, only cheap but it’s given me my confidence back. 🙂

Kat

tabbycat
3 years ago

Gardening, watching the sky. I am super impressed by all the sporty stuff everyone seems able to do. I did a few miles on my electric bike today and felt like an Olympic athlete! All power to you!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.