Last reply 5 months ago
What If…

I’m sure this question has been asked on here before but I wanted to know what are some of you guys careers? I really want to be a Dentist but I cant help but think about how MS might affect me in the future and then all the money being wasted on school to do something I may not be able to do. I know… I hate what ifs too but I cant help it.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

grandma
5 months ago

I have to say that dentistry doesn’t spring to mind as being totally suitable for someone with ms. Any loss of feeling in fingers (which is quite common ) later in life and feeling in fingers is rather important both with fingers and high speed electrical in Equipment in a persons bmouth doesn’t sound like an ideal combination.

vixen
5 months ago

Hello @ imagwms, it’s great that you’re thinking ahead. One thing I will say about choosing dentistry as a career, is that it’s a physically demanding job in a way you wouldn’t really think. It requires you to sit inert for long periods of time, often bent over. Maybe further down the line this might not be so easy with MS, although everyone is different. I know a few dentists who don’t have MS and are able bodied, but they also say that this requirement to be still can be a challenge as you get older. It sounds like you’re a very bright person, would you consider training as a doctor or optician?

No one knows what the future holds though. The most important thing is to follow your dreams, even if you need to adjust the goal and the journey along the way good luck! X

edmontonalberta
5 months ago

@imagwms

Be realistic. The demands of dentistry do not match MS symptoms. Steady hands, a brain functioning at 100%, interpersonal skills to die for, being able to stand completely steady while drilling tools are in patients mouths… Filling cavities, etc…

One of my best friends is a dentist; he was able to buy his practice from a dentist who had a permanent hand injury. It took a permanent minor injury to force that dentist out of the business.

Glad to hear you are thinking about options. But realism for the long term must be the priority.

stumbler
5 months ago

@imagwms , well, that’s a sobering dose of reality above.

You’re young, so you have time and youth on your side. You have the benefit of having the latest, most effective medication available to you, with more in the pipeline.

Yes, your MS may progress and make a dentistry career untenable. But, on the other hand, you may keep it in check, allowing you to pursue your chosen career.

We can’t see the future, but we all need aspirations and ambitions. You have to weigh this up and see which path you feel comfortable treading………..

bullman
5 months ago

I know of a dentist with MS. He has had MS for 20 years and still works. Everyone is different. If you have to stop, there are other careers linked to dentistry. Bare this in mind.

rachaellouise
5 months ago

@imagwms

I’m of the mindset that you should go for your dreams no matter what. If it really is your dream then go for it ! If it’s not to be later then it’s not to be , but if it’s your dream and passion then what harm is in to trying to make it happen.

If you give up on your dreams it makes you die inside , have regrets and that’s worse to me than giving it a try …
Who knows what the future holds for any of us … ?
I know a dentist who has a serious health condition and guess what she said to me “ I will not give up” many people in her position do not work because of it and would have given up, not her !

Don’t let fear hold you back!

Rachael x

cammo
5 months ago

@imagwms do it, if it is really something you want to do… Don’t listen to these naysayers. I know a neuro surgeon who has MS. Granted he does not operate now (he is retired in his 80s) but I think performing brain surgery with MS is more difficult than filling a cavity.
If things get too hard down the track physically you can switch to education and be a dental lecturer/professor or move into research and conference speaking.
Don’t change your dreams because of MS. Not worth it.

tessa
5 months ago

@imagwms
Think all the comments above are reasoned and rational and while we need to be positive we also have to realise that ms is an unpredictable disease.
However I was diagnosed when I was 16 and had a really bad episode of complete paralysis from waist down for six months with very gradual recovery over the next six months, I was wheelchair bound and lifted with a hoist.
I had no further episodes or even hints of ms over the next 40 years ..complete recovery . I got on with my life career children etc and forget it. Had I given up a dream of dentistry I would regretted it wouldn’t I ?
The fact that I now seem to have developed SPMS in the last few years is incidental in this situation .
Just thought it might be useful to show how totally random this condition is .
And as @stumbler points out there are now many more effective medications available for those newly diagnosed . There was very little in 1965!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.