tanya 22/02/13
Last reply 5 years ago
What do I do..between a rock and a hard place..

So I recently had to go back to work full time and my son was diagnosed with autism, so needless to say my stress level is very high. In years passed stress has been my #1 trigger for a relapse, so my question is..do I give up my job, loose my benifits, loose my chance for disability, or do I keep on going, but risk loosing my health with a relapse? Opinions welcome!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

cameron
5 years ago

It is just my opinion but I think in your shoes I would look to the medical team to give me as much info as possible on how I was actually doing. Are they pleased with your relapse record in the last few years? Are you on the best meds? Is there any possibility of a change in treatment? Perhaps if you have the discussion with either the neuro or MS nurse, you might come away with a clearer idea of the risk-benefit to health. At the moment, there are so many variables – too many to juggle successfully. I certainly wouldn’t make any quick decisions.

JustJones
5 years ago

and getting the right support in place for your son and you as a family carer with your own support needs is going to be really important too..

I’m going to assume you are in the UK (your profile doesn’t say….

if you get in touch with http://www.autism.org.uk they hold a list of all local support services and community groups. being connected with others will be really useful.

The local authority has a statutory responsibility to assess your needs as a carer. If you look on “Carers UK” website there’s loads of guidance about how to access an assessment and also to prepare for one. it could result in being able to access some respite services or a direct payment for you as a carer to access some support that will keep you well for as long as possible.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.