Last reply 4 weeks ago
What age were you diagnosed?

Hi all I’m just wanting to ask a question and that is how old was everyone when they were diagnosed I was 17 and how old are you now just curious to see which everyone was/is currently.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

lightning87
1 month ago

I was 31 x

lightning87
1 month ago

Oh and still 31 lol x

grahamjk
1 month ago

I was 42 I’m now 47

stumbler
1 month ago

Hi @dannymclean1 and welcome.

41 when formally diagnosed. 27 when I had first definitive episode. Early teens for a related? neurological problem………

MS is being diagnosed better and faster these days, which means younger.

mlgilber1
1 month ago

Hey! I was 33 and still am!

embroideress
1 month ago

I was 17 when I had my first relapse, was told I may have ms. Formally diagnosed at 57, when I had another relapse.

markp
1 month ago

Think things started going wrong at about 28 (which I promptly ignored as I had a business to run) until I could ignore no longer and was formally diagnosed at 37, am now 46.

highlander
1 month ago

I had first relapse at 40 put it down to an ear infection.
8 years later dx as spms 1 year later given a dx of ms and that’s it now awaiting to start on Tec.

shazzyp
1 month ago

I was diagnosed at 57, but they think I have had it since my early 20’s due to various episodes and number of brain lesions!

z900
1 month ago

I was 63, now 64

teresapascolat
1 month ago

I was diagnosed at 42. The lack of balance with eyes closed was already there some ten years earlier. Six months with Copaxone and years later (feeling strong and not because of any episodes) I accepted to do Interferone. I lasted 6 months and stopped because I had become suicidal. I am 57 now and on no DMTs. Spms for the latest years.💚

rolly
1 month ago

28 / 50

z900
1 month ago

Although diagnosed at 63, I started exhibiting some of the classic symptoms – Balance, numb feet and lost/missed brain signals – 2 or 3 years previously.

peterfrancis
1 month ago

36 which I still am.

Although I was told that I had been living with the disease for years.

vixen
1 month ago

Hello @dannymclean1. I was 50, last year and am doing good. There have been lots of younger people on here recently, maybe they’re all off having a good weekend at the moment and haven’t responded yet! PS, @stumbler The Wizard has given lots of info, but not his age!

dvtrv
1 month ago

Had poor case of virtigo in 2002 which Neuro or MS Nurse suspect was an MS relapse.

Diagnosed in January 2011 at age 35.

Symptoms were, extreme fatigue, right turning in, slurred speech and neurological swelling my right leg causing me to walk like a drunk as well as talking like I’d had a few.

rea
1 month ago

Hello,
Diagnosed at 42,I’m 50 now. Probably there since I was 20 as an episode of foot drop , then nothing for over 20 yrs.

brando
1 month ago

I was diagnosed at 14, was pretty aggressive when I was first diagnosed.

😎

grahamjk
1 month ago

Sorry @dannymclean1 I was very basic with my response, so here it goes:
I’d been told for years I’d had sciatica in both hips since late 20s, early 30s I had balance issues when eyes closed but gp always had some excuse until March 2014 when I lost all skin sensation below the waist, gp had no ideas, local hospital same, so sent to derby for mri and the rest is history

miller
1 month ago

31 but doctor thinks it started early teens

merfield
1 month ago

I was 76, now 78. Very late onset ppMS. But I’d had symptoms for about four years before diagnosis -put down to age, then cervical spine spurs. Now in a wh/ch mostly but determined to keep going. xx

glawsdan
1 month ago

Diagnosed 36, now 38, first relapse 27.
Dan

bullman
1 month ago

Was 33 now 48… Time flies

manc1
1 month ago

diagnosed 26,now 66.

lmagnan
1 month ago

At 26 I was told I had a stroke then at 30 told I had MS now 48

grandma
1 month ago

Dxd at 38, but a lot if things fell into place going back to childhood, always seen as a clumsy child, dropping things, tripping up, was really bad after childbirth, but family and I accepted it, even down to family joke about it ‘must take more water with this gin’ (hated gin!)😍

digdugszoo
1 month ago

Diagnosed right before I turned 31. I’m now 50. Looking back, though, I think I started having symptoms in my mid-20s, but didn’t get properly diagnosed back then.

nutshell88
1 month ago

first time I felt at theme park
couldnt spinbaround myself was getting vertigo
maybe I was 5 or 6 didnt forget it because it stoppede playing there for the rest of my life
daignosed officislly age 17 I was in second secondary school finals i was in the exam *feel like crying remembering how childish I was testing my eye at that moment* then lost my sight slowly and that was it
April 2019 I’ll be 31

mlm85
1 month ago

32… still 32… only just.

calnffc
1 month ago

Hey, had my first relapse at the age of 14 (ish) was diagnosed at 19, now 27 years old.

bonang1975
1 month ago

I cant remember exactly but started getting symptoms at 16 and diagnosed just before 21

booh85
1 month ago

Diagnosed this year at 37

julesds1977
1 month ago

Diagnosed June this year and I’m 40. Think I possibly may have been having symptoms on and off for the last few years. Only very mildly though.

rivka
1 month ago

Diagnosed at 55, now about to be 59, in retrospect, first isolated event at 31, next episode at 52. Ah, the memories come flooding back. 😳

chezy17
1 month ago

Had my first episode when I was 32, put it down to shingles. Diagnosed at 34, now 36. Other than tiredness and tingles I feel fine 😊. Starting Cladribine tomorrow 😊.

music
1 month ago

I was 26 when I was Diagnosed

tessa
1 month ago

16 …serious episode…complete paralysis from waist down …no meds available then no mri etc. Absolute total recovery for over 45 years…now SPMS ..every case so different it poses so many questions for me

cloudy
1 month ago

I was 17 when I had pins & needles in left side for over a month saw a neuro but no mri few other things along the way that I didn’t take much notice of at the time always had a plausible excuse …. In 2005 went for mri at 32 Mri showed lesions but not confirmed ms 2007 after another exisopde had lumbar puncture but showed negative and then this year at 45 had another episode and another Mri which neurologist said think it’s fair to say we can call it so yep had it quite a while but only just being diagnosed …… That causes no problems as I lived my life not having to think was every little thing ms related ….. Which I try not to do but it is getting harder …..

prati
1 month ago

I was 21 when I was diagnosed and now I am 24 .

cameron19
1 month ago

Had my first relapse at 15 and was diagnosed at 16. Now I’m 17.

rotherhamdave
1 month ago

I was almost 32 n now nrly 36

pavo
1 month ago

29 I am now 52

potter
1 month ago

I was diagnosed when I was 55 but had symptoms since my 20’s, I could never get a doctor to listen to me. They thought I was a hypochondriac, I am now 65.

lacemister
1 month ago

I was 48 which I still am Had optic neuritis in 2004 which was deemed a virus. Then hand numb last year which they thought was carpel tunnel. Diagnosed nov last year

look
1 month ago

I was diagnosed at late 27, six months after couldn’t walk properly and now I’m 48 and I can still get on horse (badly but ah well!).

jodieb
1 month ago

What an interesting variety of ages! I had started to worry that I was a little old to be diagnosed but it seems that I’m kind of similar to many of you – diagnosed last year at 38!

aggiet81
1 month ago

35 when diagnosed with clinically isolated syndrome, 36 diagnosed with ms, I’ll be 37 next month.

mschronic
1 month ago

Hi. First of all that’s an interesting question-thanks. I was 28 when they found lesions after an MRI. I’m 35 now. Wow time flies.

mmhhpp
1 month ago

Hi 37

affibelle
1 month ago

Hi, I had my first relapse at 18 & was 19 when formally diagnosed. Had RRMS until 2013 then went to SPMS.
I’ve had it 28 years…fun times! LOL

dmargarita
1 month ago

i was 26 but i had symptoms since i was 23. Im 30 now

hollylb10
4 weeks ago

27/28 and now 32 but like many others probably had it since my early 20s and maybe even as young as 15 as I suffered badly with fatigue after an illness. I would spend most of year 10 at school sleeping as soon as I got home until the next morning. I really think it could have been an early symptom. Always been slow at processing information though lol!

msikib
4 weeks ago

I was 21, I’m now 53. My GP at the time I got a name for it said some of the things that happened in my teens ‘could’ have been down to MS [pins’n’needles and headaches].

sedy111
4 weeks ago

Diagnosed 39
Now I am 41
Try to cool about it

fxms
4 weeks ago

28, diagnosed two months ago. Primary-progressive MS, going on Ocrevus.

jas64
4 weeks ago

I was 24 and am now 54; my dad was diagnosed 6 months after me at my age now but looking back , he probably started a good 20 years before ; my uncle was just diagnosed in his 70’s and my cousin was 18 – she was the only one of us that was very badly disabled and she died of pneumonia at 42

milliepipkins
4 weeks ago

Suffered 3 severe relapses starting from 21/01/18. Wasn’t diagnosed until 07/03/18 at age 19. Now 20, finished first round of Lemtrada in April 2018.

ginger85
4 weeks ago

I just been diagnosed and I’m 32

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.