Last reply 1 month ago
Weight gainnn

Good evening everyone, I was just wondering can weight gain make symptoms flare up I was shocked to find out I gained 2 stone since last year, I know ive been comfort eating but didnt realise how much I had put on, can it have a effect on MS. Thank you.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

peterfrancis
1 month ago

melmel1
1 month ago

Thsnks for the info @peterfrancis

sherry_bell
1 month ago

I always get sick when I lose weight, don’t know if it means anything but I do notice that is when I have major flair ups!! I just lost 50 pounds and I am starting to have seizures and my legs are not working and the whole MS thing is back. When I was first diagnosed I had lost again a lot a of weight, so there might be something with weight.

melmel1
1 month ago

@sherry_bell thats really interesting does make me wonder as when I started gaining all these new symptoms flared up x

peterfrancis
1 month ago

I too tend to get sick when I lose weight. not that I’ve lost any recently but I recall losing quite a lot of weight when I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at age 11. I became very weak and lethargic compared to how I was previously at that time. I used to play Rugby for the School Team but had to knock that on the head.

Seems all Autoimmune Diseases are dependant on a well balanced diet but can screw you over when they feel like it.

melmel1
1 month ago

@peterfrancis my diet has been diabolical lol

peterfrancis
1 month ago

@melmel1

Lol. just be mindful and aware of what you’re eating and how much.

Simple science really. the more you eat and less you do to burn off the calories. the more weight you put on… not to patronise you.

Well, it’s just bee Xmas so at least you can use that as an excuse, I guess.

vivien
1 month ago

@melmel1 what meds do you take for your current symptoms?

I piled on about 4 stone due to my cocktail of meds pre diagnosis, a combination of side effects and having to take meds individually after different types of food to limit nastier side effects and comfort eating coupled with less physical activity. I wasn’t skinny to start with!

I’m now on tecfidera as a dmd, and the side effects include weight gain! Bit I’m focusing on a healthier diet with less carbs and more exercise when I’m able and have lost around 2 stone in 7 months and I’m being supported by the dietician team as I have complex food allergies and requirements. My neuro is delighted with my weight loss and I’ve another 3 stones to lose over the next year, so fingers crossed I’ll not get any spanners in the works! 😘

What helped me most was being able to get off all the other pills once the tecfidera kicked in. My annual review showed no disease activity in my brain at all this week! πŸ˜€

Chin up and set your mind to it and you can achieve anything!

Vivien xxxx πŸ€—

vixen
1 month ago

Hello @melmel1, like @vivien, I went on Tecfidera soon after diagnosis and had put on 2 stone, which I lost through a Keto diet. Not sure if weight affects MS as such, but being a stable and safe weight will always benefit you and put less strain on your already compromised body. It’s a boring mantra, but we all have to aim to eat a more healthy and balanced diet. With occasional treats thrown in, of course!

melmel1
1 month ago

@peterfrancis time for me too loose the weight lol x

melmel1
1 month ago

@vivien congratulations on your weight loss that is amazing and to the no disease activity, I know I have got too loose this weight I done it before with slimming world I guess I’ve been comfort eating with the stress of all the ms diagnosis xx

melmel1
1 month ago

@vivien I forgot to ask how long do u think u have had ms for? X

melmel1
1 month ago

@vixen yes I agree with you Thanks for advice X

vivien
1 month ago

@melmel1 not sure, maybe 2 years, maybe 26 years? Neurologist is very interested in my allergic polyathralgia, triggered by glandular fever when I was 19 and believes it may be linked πŸ€” but 2 years if not.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.