missytiggy 21/09/14
Last reply 2 years ago
Vitamin D3 recommendations?

Hello, I hope this is allowed..? I’m wondering if anyone who takes vitamin D3 could give me a recommendation on where to buy a good quality product.

I was told by my neuro to take 5000iu a day and ordered some online (which I have nearly run out of). I’m just a little concerned because 5000iu capsules are not that readily available, I have no idea whether the ones I have are good quality or not.

So any recommendations or hints on what to look for would be helpful.

Thank you!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

3 years ago

I’ve only seen them sold in 1000iu pills, and take 6 one day (= 6000iu) and 8 (= 8000iu) the next day. I don’t live in a typically sunny locale and have had my levels tested and they are consistently low, hence the higher dosage for myself!

As for brands to take that are good quality, I wouldn’t know what’s available to you there that would be good. Might be worth asking the doc or a pharmacist?!?

Good luck!

3 years ago

I use the drops, I find it easier than taking a whole bunch of pills, I have enough of those already! I’ve also read it is more easily absorbed in that form

3 years ago

@missytiggy I take some small tiny bead things I got from my local health store, I have just checked on amazon to see if they sell them and they do. Mine cost £10 so exactly the same on amazon. I copied the text here it is:

Pharma Nord 125µ Bio-Vitamin D3 D-Pearls 40 Tablets
by Pharma Nord

I also took them to the docs n he said yup there fine x

3 years ago

My local MS Treatment Centre sells a years supply of 5,000iu vitamin D3 for about £11.

You might want to contact your local Centre and see if they can supply some. You can find their details here :- http://www.herefordmscentre.com/ (I hope it’s local to you).

The Centre might also be able to offer other treatments/therapies that might interest you.

If they don’t supply vitamin D3, then search Amazon for “Vitamin D3 5000 iu” and they’ll give you a list of options…….

3 years ago

You might be able to get a prescription from your GP as your consultant has specifically recommended the Vitamin D tablets for your MS.

Do bear in mind though that the NICE guidelines say that there is no decent evidence that Vitamin D levels above the standard recommendation have any beneficial effect for MSers. The guidelines do say that you need to get enough to keep you levels at the recommended amount (>25nmol/l) – and a lot of people are below that level.

3 years ago

Should add that 25nmol/l to 50nmol/l is still considered insufficiency. Some consultants aim at 100nmol/l but greater than 250nmol/l may cause problems.

3 years ago

Thanks for your replies everyone. @stumbler I will indeed contact the ms therapy centre. I knew about it but didn’t know they might sell supplements. Thanks again 🙂

2 years ago

Good neurologist, some are really far behind on reading the research on how beneficial this is for the immune system in MS. I take this one every second day, will last me 2 years for 20 GBP – bargain,

Important to note that people need to ‘boost’ themselves up to increase their blood level, so I took 2 a day for a week. I have had no side effects from that. Vitamin D is like a reservoir, you’re always need to top it up as it evaporates, but to actually increase it need to throw a bit more at it.

2 years ago

Hi @misstiggy I used to take Vit D3 5,000 ui which I bought via amazon all seemed legit (which I’m sure they were) but I was at 54 (normal range 50-150) so low but not deficient and then I took my 5,000 ui for 8 months before I had another blood test to see how well I’d done on them but as it turned out to be a reading of 36 I had become deficient so my GP prescribed 3.200 capsules and I have yet to see if they are making a difference… (Blood test in a month..) I would recommend that you go to your GP or MS nurse for a full blood test as if you are low in other nutrients/vitamins it can prevent the absorption of Vit D3 like it did for me.. 🙂 Good luck with yours 🙂

2 years ago

Hi…I asked my Dr. for a prescription for vitamin D. It ends up being cheaper than over the counter. I also take 5000 per day

2 years ago

My doctor recommended me the Sundown 5000UI medication. He told me he could trust Sundown brand.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.