Last reply 2 weeks ago
Visual Virtigo

Hi, I’m new here I’ve been diagnosed with MS for about 9 months and I think I have something called visual virtigo I can’t watch fast moving movies TV shows or my favourite wrestling shows as the camera angles change very fast and really strain my eyes and zap all the energy out of me, I just wondered if anyone else has this and what they do to help manage it.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

vixen
3 weeks ago

Hello @daniel_lowther and welcome aboard this friendly forum! I don’t have vertigo but if you type it in the search box there are lots of posts. I’m not sure I’ve heard of visual vertigo, it sounds very frustrating. I can’t see from your profile what type of MS you have or where you live. I’m guessing US, not sure why? Anyways, hope you get some responses here to your question 🙂

stumbler
3 weeks ago

Hi @daniel_lowther and welcome.

I’m no medical expert. In fact, I’m not medical at all. But, I have found this interesting booklet, which may describe the problem and offer some guidance about getting help with the problem :-

https://www.brainandspine.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/BSF_Dizziness-and-balance-A5-booklet.pdf

peterfrancis
3 weeks ago

@daniel_lowther

Hi, I have experienced similar symptoms to yours.

I’ve never heard the term visual vertigo before though, mentioned the visual symptoms to my MS Nurse last week and she noted it down and just nodded…

daniel_lowther
3 weeks ago

Hiya, it’s just very frustrating I have difficulty in supermarkets and busy open spaces just very difficult to keep concentration and my memory. I often can’t keep my wife’s order in my memory by the time I get to the till at Nando’s. I’ve updated my bio I have relapse remitting MS and I am 4 months into Ocrevus and I’m from the UK

juliet
2 weeks ago

@daniel_lowther

Hello,

I have symptoms just like you describe. A terrible bout of vertigo is what led to my MRI, LP and diagnosis. This left me with a nystagmus that the doctors say is the cause of the vision problems that I believe are similar to yours. A Neuro Opthamologist discovered the nystagmus. It has improved a lot over time but I still have traces like you describe. The neuro ophthalmologist works with the MS center I go to here in the US. The following is a description of what they do and as you see it includes MS patients. You might want to look into that though in my case there was not much they could do…….but at least you know waht the casue is!
“The Neuro-Ophthalmology Service treats disorders such as optic neuritis, ischemic optic neuropathy, brain tumors involving the optic nerves or chiasm, strokes that cause visual loss or double vision, transient monocular blindness, migraine with visual symptoms, myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis, mitochondrial disease, muscular disease that affects the eye and unexplained vision loss.

juliet
2 weeks ago

@daniel_lowther

Also, just FYI -here is a description of nystagmus. Maybe this will help!
Nystagmus can be acquired later in life due to neurological dysfunction such as a head injury, multiple sclerosis or brain tumors. Unlike nystagmus acquired from early in life, patients with late onset nystagmus usually notice movement in their vision related to the movement of their eyes. This is called oscillopsia. Oscillopsia causes a person to have vertigo or dizziness related to the new movement they experience in their vision.Late onset nystagmus is more likely to be directional. The eye will move slowly in one direction, then quickly move back. The nystagmus may change as the patient looks in different directions. The unexplained onset of nystagmus in an adult may indicate a serious neurological disorder and an immediate examination is indicated!”

nutshell88
2 weeks ago

I has at once flew to emergency and passed out lol
It was years ago I was a university student and in a total distress already
Cortizone fixed 99%. Of it

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.