Last reply 2 months ago
Very true words

When someone asks me about MS, if they know anything, it’s usually that it affects a person’s ability to walk. If only it was that simple….We (MSers) have a little of almost every disease to deal with. Think about it – the brain controls everything the body does. MS causes brain damage and causes nerve pathways to misfire. Like people with rheumatoid arthritis, we have joint pain and inflammation. Like diabetics, we have neuropathy in our feet. Unfortunately, we usually have that same nerve damage throughout our body. We can also lose our vision. Like a person with lupus, we can have heart issues. Like a person with ADHD, we have trouble focusing. Like a person with cancer, our body is killing itself. We rely on toxic medication that compromises our immune system, we can have radiation, and our quality of life is not great. Like a person whose had a stroke, we can lose our ability to speak, have one-sided body weakness, lose the use of our limbs, etc. Like a person with Alzheimer’s, we have problems with our memory. It may be short term or may last forever. Like a person with Parkinson’s, we have body tremors.

And what MS doesn’t do, it makes us more vulnerable to comorbidities. We deal with everything listed above…widespread pain, chronic fatigue, trouble breathing, depression, anxiety, muscle spasms, trouble eating and digesting food, bladder and bowel problems, on and on. On top of this we have to deal with most of our symptoms being invisible. Not only are we judged by strangers, co-workers, friends, and family, but also the medical profession that has taken an oath to help those suffering…..so don’t ever call us weak. We’re the same person as we always have been – just a little different. Ask – care – help without judgment.

Shared in support of all MS brothers and sisters ♡

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

bonang1975
2 months ago

Wow spot on

stumbler
2 months ago

Most thought-invoking………….

cloudy
2 months ago

God when u put it like that – us newly diagnosed might not have gotten the full extent of the possible damage that could actually occur – I do now and you sure as hell put a good case to start taking the dmd’s 😳😳😳😳

vixen
2 months ago

Goodness me @calnffc, that was a bit of a stark post to wake up to! Very good summary though. In thinking of folks who are newly diagnosed, I would like to suggest that life can throw all these things at anyone without MS being involved! A diagnosis is a terrible shock but even though it might seem so, we aren’t dying and I think that’s important to say. Some posts I’ve read this morning are about Ocrevus and this reflects the huge progress being made in the fight against our condition.

Your post also reflects how hard it is for those around us to understand and appreciate what life is like for us and in some ways, that’s the toughest thing. That’s why sites this this, which facilitate communication and promote understanding are so important. Have a good day all x

cloudy
2 months ago

@vixen – I know what you mean as newly diagnosed I don’t dwell on the huge array of things that could go wrong – we could just as easily be ran over by a bus and then it’s game over. I’m trying not to think about the what could happen – it’s not happening right now and that’s the main thing – life for living 😜😜

mmhhpp
2 months ago

@calnffc

I was also diagnosed in 2010 .

I am SPMS now yes… We are so lucky ……

lightning87
2 months ago

This post does cover everything someone with MS could go through and remarkable to think of.

But luckily we may only encounter one, two or a few of these symptoms as a whole. Who knows, but who also knows what is round the corner anyway for anyone even without MS.

eilidh24
2 months ago

love this

peterfrancis
2 months ago

@calnffc

Excellent post.

@calnffc

Good post.

However, In relation to some of the other conditions (e.g. diabetes) we generally don’t get immediate DEATH like they do!!

I work with a guy who has diabetes and he HAS to have 4 injections a day……..without them he’s gone!!

Gotta look on the bright-side i suppose!!

Are you a Forest fan too?!! Speaking of bright-side!!

calnffc
2 months ago

Yeah thats true! Yeah im a forest fan ☺

The nffc gave it away!!

nutshell88
2 months ago

Whether we’re on treatments or no
It would reach a point sooner or later random different unique stage
Personaly never accepted MS treatments whats left if my mind cant accept to gamble its safety
My brain shrank and of course lost brain barier
Thats one defense gone
Which made me reject MS treatments even more
What 70% but might die 1 in a 1000 in a 30% 50%
No
Cant trade or accept something fair cure the whole thing or never if my immune is gone nothing id left to protect my brain

salvador
2 months ago

Heeey. I’ve been a rampant Forest fan since Jonn Robertson, Archie Gemmill and Martin O’Neill.

I’m not a fan of Miss Stroppy though. Ain’t she a bitch and a half.😂

chezy17
2 months ago

Bloody Forest 🤦‍♀️

Can’t fight the truth…this beast is the unimaginable.. the unthinkable.. wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.. We’re in for fight of our lives..we all are strong individuals to be able to survive this beast..

jonas1272
2 months ago

Well put !! 🙂

jeslyn_mauriello
2 months ago

I enjoyed this so much. People often treat me as though I am fragile, and they don’t understand that although parts of me are different, I am still the same person they have always known. <3

paulmorrison
2 months ago

@vixen hi, although postertivity is so important in the human condition, so is reality, everything in that post it true, not something nuros give us on any of our aunual consultations. That’s not to say that life from conception isn’t a risk, it is. Unfortunately all roads lead to the same path with Ms, pharmaceutical companys are not keeping up, as it’s not really in their interests. An ongoing medication programme is where the money is. I do not want to sound like I am writing a negative post but I think it is so important, that people know what the truth is regarding ms. Posertive attitudes, exercise and good diet are all brilliant, even dmt but none are a cure. Love to all. Paul.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.