Last reply 9 months ago
Universal Credit- getting a sick note

As my local council no longer deal with housing benefit, I applied for universal credit (which encompasses housing benefit and income support). The problem is that as part of the claim for universal credit, the DWP want to see a sick note.
a) Unfortunately I haven’t been able to work for 3 years so although I can understand the reason behind it I do find it slightly offensive that I have to chase up my doctor for a sick note.
b) My neurologist’s secretary advised me that I need to contact my gp for a sick note. This is rather pointless seeing as though I haven’t met my gp for a few years. I see my neurologist every 3 months as part of my lemtrada treatment so surely my neuro is best equipped to provide a sick note.
c) what length of time does the sick note need to cover?
D) I am scared of DWP regularly making life difficult for me & asking for a new sick note continuously. I’ve read testimony from claimants who have only been provided a few days in which to get a sick note. This is compounded by the fact that it takes several weeks in order to get an appointment with my gp. So I envisage a situation where my benefit is potentially cut/delayed.

please advise guys. Just the thought of the possibilities is frightening me.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
9 months ago

@lemtrada-uk , get your MS Nurse on your side and see what assistance they can give.

Getting a GP’s appointment these days is ridiculous. Ask for a telephone consultation and the duty Doctor should call you back. Explain the problem to them.

However, it does sound like you might already be claiming ESA. Haven’t you already been assessed for this benefit by the DWP?

Contact your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau and see what assistance they can provide to help you wade through this porage.

lemtrada-uk
9 months ago

Thanks for the response. I’m not in receipt of ESA. I only receive PIP and now hopefully universal credit
My ms nurse informed me that only a doctor can give a sick note

Anonymous
9 months ago

Hi @lemtrada-uk I get ESA & my GP gives me a 6 monthly, (some GP’s may only do 3 monthly) sick note stating I’m unable to work & the reason Is simply multiple sclerosis- this always satisfies the DWP. An understanding GP should/will do the same for you..

Good luck,
Craig

scottevans
9 months ago

Great Britain hey same boat been offered £7.05 a week worked all my life as has my wife 2 kid’s in our care system stinks i just asked if i let them keep the £7.05 a week would they pull out the magic wand and cure me so im no longer a problem to them let me get back to a normal working life. Problem is we just don’t fit the box they have to tick so sooner than trying to help the computer says no.
Best of luck and best wishea

scottevans
9 months ago

Great Britain hey same boat been offered £7.05 a week worked all my life as has my wife 2 kid’s in our care system stinks i just asked if i let them keep the £7.05 a week would they pull out the magic wand and cure me so im no longer a problem to them let me get back to a normal working life. Problem is we just don’t fit the box they have to tick so sooner than trying to help the computer says no.
Best of luck and best wishes

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.