Last reply 2 months ago
UK based and the blue badge

Why oh why is there so much impeduce on benefits (PIP/DLA etc) when applying for a blue badge?

Thankfully I am still working, not in receipt of any benefits but a blue badge would help massively so lets see how it is viewed.

MP will be getting a letter if refused.

And on a different matter folk better stop thinking the pavement is a parking place or my crutch might fall against their car! Cars on both sides of the road, on the pavement with about a foot width of pavement left. I will not put myself in danger by walking on the road so they can limit the walking distance from a carpark by 20 meters. Pedestrians don’t require insurance and I won’t be paying an IOTA to make their car scratch/dent free.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 months ago

@watsoncraig , good luck with your application for your blue badge.

On the matter of pavement parking, Guide Dogs for the Blind have a strongly supported petition about this and a promise from the Government to review the law on this.

But, they can’t find time to discuss it at the moment!

watsoncraig
2 months ago

@stumbler, it was definitely a rant and as admin can you remove this post please, I have posted a less severe post

stumbler
2 months ago

@watsoncraig , it’s a justified rant.

By the way, I removed your other post as a duplicate, before I saw this update. Oops!

watsoncraig
2 months ago

@stmbler.
If you get rid of this one, I will post again

stumbler
2 months ago

@watsoncraig , are you sure? As I say, your rant is warranted and I’ve added some useful information.

watsoncraig
2 months ago

True, bugger it, leave it as is

wendyhills
2 months ago

I don’t receive any benefits at the moment and applied and was accepted for a blue badge after an assessment interview at local council offices. Good luck with your application

vivien
2 months ago

@watsoncraig I had my blue badge assessment at Falkirk Council in July and received my blue badge within 3 weeks. The council physio assessor couldn’t have been nicer! Just answer the online application questions honestly, based on a fair to bad day, stress your fatigue and how much more independence it will give you, they are human at the council, not like DWP sub contractors for pip assessments! No fabrications or fudging required!

Good luck and I know you will be fine!

highlander
2 months ago

@watsoncraig
I’m not working and don’t receive the square root of burger all at the mo but I managed fine getting mine….now ask about my so called care team….pull up a sandbag!
Don’t know until you try mate you maybe surprised.
Keep smiling.

highlander
2 months ago

Oh when I had to narrow foot paths or park my vehicle on or make space for pedestrians the limit I had to leave lawfully was one meter wide clear obstruction.
It is governed by NRSA New roads and street works act.
If I broke the rules I faced getting kicked of site and or fined …..but if they work for the council they are immune from the law. Well you see how far you get if you complain.
Good luck with your blue badge

strictlysoca
2 months ago

My experience was that the council assessor was trying to help me retain my blue badge (which I got after meeting with their occupational health professional but needs to be renewed). They just needed proof of some kind. Funnily enough it turns out that being turned down for PIP but still having some points for mobility worked. They would have also accepted a letter from the MS nurse if I didn’t have it. It’s great that you are still working and PIP is for people in work as well as no paid work. If you get a blue badge you might try for PIP – nothing ventured and all that.

grandma
2 months ago

Hi Craig, I’m a sufferer of all you rant about. I have a blue bage, not much use at the moment cos I’ve got no car cos mr government took it back on Feb after 19 ears because “I’m not sufficiently disabled to warrant one” but I digress, in my city, there are rather a lot of double yellow lines which of course I’m allowed to park on But
I never can, because the space is always full of private hire vehicles, who cannot legaly ark there, but they do knowing they are safe as neither thr police or the council owill deal with them because they don’t want to ’cause an incident’ I use anelectric wheelchair or a mobility scooter but I have to call 101 on a regular basis because they, along with Joe public think it’s ok to park on the pavement, across dropped curbs, both against the law, the police do come eventually, but with a bad grace, and they have actually said they’ve got better things to do! I’m currently in the middle of a battle with the council over blocked pavements caused by the building of a new mosque, it is now finished, bot they are building a wall, 6′ high, right around the property, right up to the pavements edge, not a problem in itself, not illegally, but it a massive project, they gave open metal fencing supported on massive concrete supports which take up the pavement, they put piles of bricks ready for the next day’s work, also on the pavement, the road is lined with beautiful treestplanted 100 years ago, one or two have now raised the pavement with their roots, one is right opposite the metal fence leaving a 1′ gap where I can’t get passed, nothing is happening despite several phone calls, but of course they ‘don’t want to cause an incident’ I’m betweena ruck and a hard place.😡

guinness
2 months ago

@watson craig i’m just in the process of re- applying for my blue badge as it runs out this month,i don’t drive any more and only use it when I go out with the wife it’s been so usefull apart from when a disabled parking space is taken up by some F!!!!!G TWAT without a BADGE

cameron
2 months ago

The blue badge is a lifesaver and as there’s no intrinsic cost to the system, there’s more chance of getting it than benefits, it seems to me. The only downside (I’ve heard) is that the car can then become a target for thieves. Apparently in London a blue badge can be worth more than the car it’s in!

watsoncraig
2 months ago

@cameron A bic pen is probably worth more than my car (a blue one anyway)

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.