Last reply 6 years ago
TV portrayals of MS

Anyone else been annoyed by portrayals of MS on TV?
I was trying out a new show – Hart of Dixie – where a New York doctor has to move to a southern state where she’s an outsider trying to fit in. She ends up finding a woman on the floor in the toilets at a bar and discovers that she has MS (and hasn’t told anyone). This was followed by the statement from the woman to the doctor that ‘we both know that my life is over’ (or something along those lines). Cue me shouting at my TV ‘of course it isn’t!’
Susan in Neighbours only mentions her MS when she needs to have a relapse for story reasons, but at least it’s a more optimistic view.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

DJDsouza
6 years ago

I suppose it’s realistic of what happens sometimes. Is bloody depressing, but it’s our lives….guess all we can do is not live up to those wrong depictions

aardvark
6 years ago

Funny that. When the nurse from the company who are supplying my Copaxone came to give me my injection training, we had exactly that discussion.

Obviously, he’s seeing mainly people with RR, but even so, his contact with “game-over” (my term – sorry, don’t mean to cause offence) disabled sufferers has been significantly less frequent than the mainstream media might suggest.

While near total disability maybe a possible eventual outcome, there’s nothing more likely to crush the hopes of the newly diagnosed than the inference that it’s an absolute inevitability. Obviously, it does no harm to be realistic. But with DMDs, I’m hoping to avoid the worst excesses of the disabling effects of MS.

Unrealistic? Maybe. Positive? Definitely!

Becks
6 years ago

oooh i just love it when they usually portray an ‘ms sufferer’ (note not a person with ms!) in a wheelchair – i know they want to make it ‘easier’ to portray for the purposes of tv but then everyone i speak to assumes everyone with ms is in a wheelchair – this leads to a lot of misconception of a condition that even i after 12 years finds difficult to explain!!

christeeny
6 years ago

I wouldn’t take it personally. Think of the day you were diagnosed. I had been sick for years and when I finally found out what it was I was crushed. I wouldn’t exactly say I thought my life was over, but I was devastated. It’s just a stage of grief.
And I mean, it’s a dramedy that comes on after Gossip Girl – how real can you expect it to be?

daisy
6 years ago

The exception for me is ‘The West Wing’ – if you can get on with being US President with MS I can get on with my stuff too : )

reddivine
6 years ago

I was gonna try “Hart of dixie”……..its so true tho!
When i was diagnosed, the only person we knew who had had MS, had died within 3 yrs. GULP.
I aksed my (then) patner, “Do you think i will die sooner or later?”…..he replied “Sooner”. No wonder he was depressed, carrying round THAT!
Anyway here i am, nearly 20 yrs later so fat lot he knew eh?

susanf
6 years ago

Maybe politicians should write a tv programme with an MS character, that person would then be able to hold down a six figure job, have 4 children and run the occasional marathon for relaxation – but chooses not to and needs help……… that’s what they think isn’t it?

daisy
6 years ago

They could make a programme with a character based on the literature received with DMDs – you know, someone with MS who spends their days frollicking in meadows, lying on their back playing the guitar, going for long walks in the forest with their family – I’m looking forward to that bit of the Copaxone kicking in 🙂

indigojane
6 years ago

Sometimes these TV shows get me so wound up. The person with MS is almost kicking the bucket are they are about to run a marathon!!
Thats it,
Janex

Lillylilly
6 years ago

I haven’t seen Neighbours in years. Is it Karl Kennedy’s Susan who has MS??

hkittypink
6 years ago

Lilly – yes that’s her – she leads a very good life and only occassionally do you hear – will yoube able to do that with your condition? Or see her use her walking stick – she has a job and a social life so much more realistic display of someone with RR MS.

Gav
6 years ago

The whole percweption of MS on tv frequently, like most toher things on TV, needs to be boiled down to the lowest common denominator, woman, usually over 40/50, wheelchair, wants to die/depressed. The executives have to make a concept they think most viewers will buy into and believe, hence all the heavily disabled, suicidal people you rarely see in the land of TV.

Alison
6 years ago

In the first series of Waterloo Road, Tom’s wife dropped a cup one week (first sign of MS) & committed suicide the next – because that’s what everybody does right? Made my blood boil!!!

I like Susan on Neighbours because her MS is normally not an issue, but I would like to see her condition realistically & sensitively portrayed if / when it progresses.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.