Anonymous 20/04/18
Last reply 2 months ago
Trigger

Feeling defeated, now in have a bath rail and I’ve not yet used my walking stick, I’m never going to be better am I
Sorry for the trigger post

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the โ€˜xโ€™.

freddygiguere
2 months ago

Hey don’t give up! I’ve been unable to walk since January 2017 without crutches and lost the feelings in my legs but I went to physiotherapy, and October 2017 I started going to gym 4 days a week and on doing so I started lifting 20lbs with my legs and today I’m doing 300lbs with my legs and no longer use my crutches. Just keep fighting back and you will win! Don’t let MS define you! You define the ms that inhibited your body, you own it! It doesn’t own you ๐Ÿ™‚ keep pushing don’t give up and you’ll win:)

Anonymous
2 months ago

I’m so sorry for the post I really don’t want to upset anyone I’m new to ms (got diagnosed in october) my grandad has had it for years and relies on his mobility scooter plus I’m starting tysabri Wednesday and I’m petrified especially as I can’t have a friend or relative with me (hospitals insisting) x

stumbler
2 months ago

@lsharris , let’s hope the Tysabri keeps the MS in check, then you can start to recover some of your lost capabilities.

The bath rail and walking stick are just tools to make life easier and keep you safe. You may be able to dispense with them soon………….

Anonymous
2 months ago

Thank you x

freddygiguere
2 months ago

You didn’t upset anyone ๐Ÿ‘You’re venting and that Normal and scared we are humans it’s what we do. I was just trying to say don’t loose hope ๐Ÿ™‚ keep fighting it’s scary at first. I know I thought of bad stuff at first and I get that but you can fight it so you don’t end up with a scooter ๐Ÿ™‚ you’ll be walking and running and having a good life as long as you don’t give up and keep fighting it and not just with medications but do physio go for walks even if it’s hard or hurts you gotta push and keep hope ๐Ÿ™‚ I know you can do it ๐Ÿ‘

soprano
2 months ago

I’ve grown to love my stick. I’m rocking the ‘sexy eccentric’ vibe which is easier to do if I’m in control of my balance ๐Ÿ˜‰

vixen
2 months ago

Hi @Isharris. I was diagnosed like you last year too. Yesterday, I had a neuro check up and there was a student doctor present. I was trying to describe what itโ€™s like to suddenly have MS diagnosed. I told him that one day you have a normal life, and the next, a gate is opened and there is an invader that you didnโ€™t invite in. I said that although Iโ€™m doing OK, every morning I open my eyes and wait to see what sensations are the order of the day. I am a fairly resilient glass half-full person, but still it seems that every day is a battle. You can be lucky enough to have a supportive network around you, and maybe benefit from medication too but essentially, we MS warriors are on our own with our thoughts and feelings.

What Iโ€™ve learned, is that having been invaded by this imposter, we have a duty to ourselves to create quality in our lives, whatever that takes. Iโ€™ve decided that rather than to feel like every day is a battle, I want to experience feeling that this past day has been a good day. Using a bath rail is a gift to yourself. It keeps you safe, and keeps you doing normal everyday things. As @stumbler says, let the meds work for you and focus on recovery. There is evidence that you can achieve this in the posts above. Finally, is is not a certainty, but as newly diagnosed, who knows what the next 5 or 10 years will bring in terms of new treatments and resources? So next time you use your bath rail, at least you know that everyone here knows how you feel, and that using it means that you are finding creative ways to just keep being you x

cameron
2 months ago

Don’t fall into the trap of believing that things are necessarily on a downward spiral. You may have poor balance now but once you’re on treatment this may well improve. IMO, the best thing you can do is to channel the energy you’re spending on worrying into improving your general health. There’s lots of evidence that MS is best combated with a combination of drug + being in good condition physically/mentally. This is quite a tall order, I know. Probably the last thing you’re wanting to do right now is start exercise programmes and improve your diet. But if this becomes your way of dealing with the MS, you’ll be doing the best you can to stabilise the condition. Regular exercise will also help to reduce stress, which we know is a driver of MS symptoms. xx

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.