nikitadawndelorey 07/01/17
Last reply 1 year ago
Tiredness

I was diagnosed with ms in December of last year and I find I’m always tired. I never used to take naps and now I can’t go a day without one 🙁 I pretty much completely slept through the holidays.. any advice or at least someone to tell me I’m not alone/going crazy?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

@nikitadawndelorey , you’re not alone and you’re not going crazy.

It’s just a case of establishing a balance in your life that works for you. Our bodies do need an extra bit of downtime from time to time and we should try and accommodate this.

We just have to evolve as we travel through life. 😉

marcyg921
1 year ago

You’re not alone there, fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of MS, what I try to do is just keep myself busy throughout the day but sleep extra at night (used to have around 8 hours sleep now at between 10-12) but don’t overdo it and listen to your body, if you need to rest then rest, no point in making things worse

Anonymous
1 year ago

@nikitadawndelory I had the same thing over the past month and am newly diagnosed in September 2016. Spoke to my MS nurse yesterday and she confirmed that being tired back to back for days or even weeks is not the ‘normal’ MS fatigue (which seems to work for periods of time during the day or more need for sleep but not being ‘out of it’ for weeks like me). She suggested (and I can believe it) that this prolonged exhaustion may have a lot to do with trying to process and coming to terms with the diagnosis – i.e. a special level of stress, which brings us MSers down in a much more fundamental way than healthy people.

Take your time and just sleep, your body is telling you something there. And make sure you do all you can to protect/improve your mental healt.

thoughtfultraveller xx

nikitadawndelorey
1 year ago

Thank you all for your input and reassurance! So many people around me are thinking I can just go go go and I simply can’t anymore.. it’s a constant fight of I won’t let ms take me down/I just need to go lay down ms got me. I am loving this site, there’s so many positive people. Much love! ❤

reddivine
1 year ago

Fatigue is a biggy. Its not just being tired. It hits like a brick and suddenly thinking “I wonder if they mind if I just lay on the floor…..” makes perfect sense in your head!
I am reliably informed by boyfriend that w.o. the nap, i turn into monster lady.
My kids first spotted it – so now I just don;t function beyond 3pm – for a few hours.
For other ppl its different times of the day.
Give in to the nap, you will feel more human with it.

cleofitz
1 year ago

I agree. MS fatigue is a nightmare. My routine now includes downtime (nap) every afternoon. On the occasional day I can’t get to lie down, I am very cranky,dizzy and unbalanced. The ‘ horizontal’ hour pretty much rocks, it keeps me (and the rest of my family!) sane…..

dopaddle
1 year ago

there is a study published on http://www.pubmed.gov about a microvascular therapy out of Germany, new to the U.S., of how a home-based device positively impacts chronic fatigue. the study is a placebo-controlled, double-blind study.

Altern Ther Health Med. 2011 Nov-Dec;17(6):22-8. Long-term effects of Bio-Electromagnetic-Energy Regulation therapy on fatigue in patients with multiple sclerosis. Ziemssen T, Piatkowski J, Haase R // Neurological Outpatient Center, Dresden, Germany

vlaurie
1 year ago

You are in good company, we are all fatigued. We should open a mattress company , we’d make money…to pay our meds LOL

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.