mrnosey 03/10/14
Last reply 3 years ago
The West Wing

Either I’m using the Search function wrong, or nobody’s ever mentioned The West Wing on here. Is that possible?

Apart from being the best TV show ever made (yes, ever) it was the reason I knew the little bit I knew about MS before I was diagnosed.

Any other Bartlet fans in the house?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

adamski
3 years ago

I managed to never see it until a few months ago. Got totally hooked on it and am now into the fifth series. It doesn’t feel dated at all, So many great characters 🙂

lowrie
3 years ago

Amazing show, and one of the few accurate portrayals of MS I have seen on television. I thought about it recently after seeing Cold Case use MS to explain why a man became a serial killer (apparently because he had a “terminal” disease he decided to kill people – OK, just wow on a number of levels) and then on a new show that I really like, Scorpion, the lead’s sister is in some nurses that look like nuns run facility because she has MS and has been institutionalized (apparently because she has a hard time walking as that was ALL I could really see wrong with her.)

mrnosey
3 years ago

It is SO well written. If Bartlet wasn’t a fictional character, I’d definitely vote for him.

And I think the portrayal of RRMS is fantastic, as well as being really positive. He was diagnosed and then ran a successful Presidential campaign without anybody even noticing he was ‘disabled’. How good is that?

tiggermum
3 years ago

Have heard of it, but never seen. I must try someday to find it.

adamski
3 years ago

Tiggermum if you have sky the whole 7 series are on anytime. That’s where I’m watching it x

mrnosey
3 years ago

So it is! I didn’t know that!

I’ve got the DVD boxset, and I’ve even considered buying episodes on iTunes. I’m so glad I didn’t when it’s free on Sky.

I’ve been re-living the business end of Season 2 this week (’17 People’ through to ‘Two Cathedrals’). It really is glorious stuff. I’ve paid good money to watch Hollywood movies that don’t come close to those few hours of TV.

melissa-g
3 years ago

Funny you mention it, I’ve recently become obsessed with the show and have been binge watching it on netflix for the past couple of weeks! Love it! I think its cool that he has MS, but I do think there are a couple times I question how they explain his “attacks” as they call it. But still cool to see a positive portrayal of MS in a show like that 🙂

janep
3 years ago

I LOVE the West Wing! I was actually half way through watching it when I was diagnosed so some of the episodes were especially powerful and painful but it’s a series that I always come back to, such good viewing. I agree with @melissa.g, there are a couple of times where I’ve winced at a misrepresentation of the condition but these are few and far between and a sign of how old the series is I guess- we know so much more now. If I’m having a bad day, nothing beats the “he’s got MS and he’s the President- ha!” sensation.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.