loulou 22/05/12
Last reply 5 years ago
The Heat

Hi there How is everyone coping with the heat this lovely sunshine is bringing
personally for me, its nice to look at but makes me feel a whole lot worse!
I find the spring time climate is best, Thinking about it I have never been good in the heat, maybe Ive had this for years and years! Tis not good for the dizzy spells!I guess some people will feel better with it, depends on your symptoms I suppose!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

ophelia
6 years ago

Wow….I didn’t realise just how much it was going to effect me!!! I set off in the car to a friends and had to turn back as I felt like I wasn’t in this planet!!! And then I went to a local park to read my book….lasted about 45 minutes before I’ve had to throw in the towel!! Drinking plenty of water and gonna treat myself to a frozen yoghurt!!!

anneb
6 years ago

I’ve never liked the heat and sun. It drives me mad when everyone keeps saying ‘isn’t it lovely outside’.

Sarah_T
6 years ago

@anneb I’m afraid I’m one of those people! I love the sunshine, and so far it doesn’t seem to affect me. I went for a long walk at lunchtime by the river. Thankfully there is a walk liberally dotted with benches for frequent sit downs which I do need!

wezthompson
6 years ago

I live in Cyprus, so I know what you mean. Just because the sun is shining doesn’t mean you have to go outside! It’ll be snowing in the UK soon enough ;0)

ophelia
6 years ago

Thanks for that wez….scary thing is you’re probably right!!! It happened in march!! One week it was 25 degrees the next week it was a white out!!!

wezthompson
6 years ago

and that’s why I will forever love the UK and all its surprises!

Anonymous
6 years ago

I used to love love love the heat. It was wonderful! Can’t stand being cold. But unfortunately now heat makes me feel VERY bad. My symptoms skyrocket…especially the dizziness and spasticity. I miss my summers.

smallbrowngirl
6 years ago

Just reading other comments, kinda makes me feel a little better, so no offence guys. I actually came on here to make a comment about our 1st day of true summer sunshine. It actually made me feel sad, everyone’s out enjoying the sun. And my body just got so very tired and restless. I too used to love the summer, and I am now having second thoughts about a family holiday to Cuba. Any advice out-there? Is it possible for people with MS, to actually enjoy a sunny holiday abroad and have fun?!?

scotkiwi
6 years ago

Aaaah yes “the great British summer”
I too dont enjoy the heat, its exhausts me and gives the fatigue a brilliant chance to act up even more.
I dont know about Cuba, but I went to Rome two years ago and it was 35 deg C. I loved the history, but the heat just made it totally unbearable. I will go back one day – in winter. Or maybe early Spring. I spent a year living in Malaysia and that was hell – a whole host of reasons including a right dick for a boss, but the constant heat meant that I was always shattered.
I now avoid anywhere hot for holidays. 20 deg C is my upper limit these days – and is why I live in Scotland! 20 deg is almost unheard of !!!

maryklou
6 years ago

As much as i love the sun i hate the heat coz it does irritate my symptoms and i tend to feel a little worse. but we don’t get this kind of weather often in London so i try and make the most out of it the best way i can.

paulie71
6 years ago

I live in the States…just joined and I must say the heat and sun are horrible…I hate it cause I have always loved summer. But when I get hot I go weak and numb on left side. I can not even pick my laundry out of the dryer if the clothes are still hot. I am determined to enjoy my summer thou. I ordered a cooling vest and cooling hat to help. Drink lots of water and Powerade! Swimming is nice…stay cool so you can enjoy the warmth without the stress 🙂

Anonymous
6 years ago

@paulie71 – The dryer comment hit the nail on head for me. My current job deals with laundry…the heat is terrible. Where did you get your cooling vest from? Nearly summer (i type this as I look outside at a wonderfully cool rainy day…first in a while) and I’ve been looking for ways to stay cool at work.

reens
6 years ago

Never enjoyed this weather before, so always welcome the traditional 2 week British summer! Not felt much worse this week, hoping I can evade the effects of the heat *knocks wood*

richi1990
6 years ago

I never liked spring or summer. Not even before i knew i have ms. The sun drives me crazy, give me a headache and makes me moody. My ex gf loved the sun, she is european and being in a country tat always has sun made her so happy, too bad i couldnt be with her out there in the beach or somewhere else. I prefer cold weathers 🙂

danrb80
6 years ago

Wow the heat is what i wiuld say horrideous i went to Gambia a few years ago just at the end of wet season it was about 45c and so humid just breathing made you soaked. I prefer being cold you can always put clothes on if cold but if hot you can only put so many on.

paulie71
6 years ago

danrb80
5 years ago

PS that should have said would not wiuld? god my hands are crap have to type very slowly :/

Anonymous
5 years ago

@paulie71 – Awesome! Thank you for the link!

paulie71
5 years ago

@Chels your welcome

highheeledfagin
5 years ago

I do really well with sunshine and have a terrible time when it’s grey, but I’m not great with heat, which rules out most sunny places – this is such a stupid disease. I love Spring as it’s sunny enough to make me all cheery and energetic but not hot enough to make me dizzy and lethargic.

reddread
5 years ago

I have a question regarding heat intolerance:
I live in Canada, right in the middle (the coldest part), I was just wondering if Cold temperatures can have a similar effect as heat? I haven’t been diagnosed with MS yet, but whatever I have makes the cold unbearable!

CClaire
5 years ago

Reddred as my physio said, there is an optimal temperature for nerve function – too hot, we don’t work, too cold we don’t work. Somebody please mail everyone if you live somewhere not too hot and not too cold!

stumbler
5 years ago

Temperature intolerance can be a problem. Normally, it’s heat intolerance, but it can work the other way.

Have a look through this UK website of symptoms:- http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/symptoms.jsp for info.

🙂

aardvark
5 years ago

Hi @reddread

I’ve suffered with my MS symptoms getting worse in the extreme cold, sadly it’s kinda done for my favourite winter pastime of high altitude skiing (although Mrs aardvark seems to have taken to the news that they’ll be no more 10.000ft -30 degrees adventures surprisingly well bless her) 🙂

Mark

jat721
5 years ago

I always loved summer growing up too!! I couldn’t stand feeling cold, now I love feeling cold! If I don’t feel slightly too cold I know it’s going to be a long day. I live in the south in the US and am counting down the days until we move out west again, where the air is dry! I am a little nervous cause we’re going sailing in the British Virgin Islands in December. It’ll be 85 degrees and we’ll be on a sailboat with no ac for 10 days… it’s paradise, but I’m definately a little nervous for it! I will probably have some pretty crazy tan lines from my cooling neck wraps by the end of the week! 🙂

Anonymous
5 years ago

@jat721 – Your in the US? I live in Oregon. Also…if you have a Dick’s sporting goods near you, they are currently selling these little personal water bottle fans. You fill the base up with water and it has a fan on top. You turn the fan on then spray water on yourself and the fan cools the water down as it hits you and sits on your skin. It works wonders.

jat721
5 years ago

Hey Chels,

I lived in WA for 12 years, in NV for 9 years, and CA for 2. I’ve never lived in OR, but I love visiting. My best friend lives on the coast close to Astoria. We’ll be moving to Northern CA in a few years, I can’t wait! Thanks for the tip on the fans, that’s a great idea.

tingly13
5 years ago

I recently got a cooling vest from Polar Products. Works well and wish I had gotten years ago. Usually anything over 80 melts me but with the vest I can tolerate 90 or more. Will get a test this week, predicting we will get to 100 on Thursday.

ophelia
5 years ago

I’m going to Greece on Monday for a week (hurray for last minute holidays!!) slightly worried about the heat, but we made sure there’s a pool and air conditioning. I’ll drink plenty of water and avoid the midday sun! Any other advice people could give me?

daedana
5 years ago

I have been just avoiding staying in the sun for too long. It isn’t even bad when you compare it to spending something like ten minutes in sauna. I have honestly thought that feeling dizzy and legs getting weak in that environment was rare for people.
I hope that you all have a great summer.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.