Last reply 4 years ago
The auto-immune theory

Despite the absence of any scientific evidence the viral-auto-immune theory is still being presented as fact but no virus has ever been found and also no antigen has ever been identified. All the MS Societies plug away at it as scientific fact. Every neurologist and doctor I have spoken to over 30 years with MS has asserted the auto-immune theory. Vast sums of money go into researching and developing immune-suppressive drugs. It is a highly lucrative industry.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

djdsouza
4 years ago

Professor Gavin Giovanoni always seems to base all his research on this theory and seems to come up with various theories as to what can cause it, but the fact that nothing’s in the tabloids makes me think they’re looking in the wrong place and have yet to find the answers… but am sure they will eventually

vasy
4 years ago

Prof G of Barts got strong epidemiology data that suggests Epstein-Barr Virus to be the cause (alone or in combination is not known). They also got data that suggests that if you are on a antiretroviral drugs because of HIV you are many-many times less likely to develop MS (and RA also).

Also immunnosupression drugs seems to work at least in the early ms..

djdsouza
4 years ago

Am convinced it was the over excitement of my immune system caused by a yellow fever vaccination that caused me to have MS. But as for it being an auto-immune problem, i think the two theories are incompatible with each other, yet very similar in their foundations

vasy
4 years ago

Possibly not.. You know, the hepatitis C could trigger auto immune liver disease where the most damage is not from virus itself, but rather from the immune system action

msboy
4 years ago

Statistically people with MS are more likely to have had mononucleosis. They’re also more likely to have relatives with MS and to live away from the equator. Antiretroviral drugs seem to have an effect on MS symptoms. But correlation is not causation.

There’s a BBC article about margarine consumption causing divorce, or is it the other way round? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27537142

Or Nicholas Cage appearing in a film increasing the number of deaths by drowning http://www.tylervigen.com/view_correlation?id=359 .

At best you could say that we have we have informed guesswork at the moment about the causes of MS. Prof G does tend to cherry-pick evidence to support his theories so you need to be careful.

boodle06
4 years ago

I got diagnosed with transverse myelitus 3 years ago whilst I had a bad virus. I’m not diagnosed with ms & the neuro etc feel sure it’s a one off caused by a virus. But if it happens again it will be ms.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.