Last reply 9 months ago
Terbinafine fungal toenails and MS?

Hi,

i hope today is a good ms day for anyone reading! there are a few eh!?!

I have very stubborn fungal toe nail on my left foot, yes yuck, it’s my dodgy side of the body and seems my foot possibly hasn’t got good blood flow and hence the fungal infection is from the cuticle down rather than the normal nail tip up – apprently happens in people with immune system disorders.

after trying everything topical i realised treatment needs to be internal, because of above, so have started an oral anti-fungal called terbinafine. it has various side effects. prescribed by dr.

i’m wondering if anyone else has taken this and if it’s –
a: been effective long term in keeping toes healthy?
b: not had any negative effect on their ms?

many thanks in advance for anything you can offer.
xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
10 months ago

@is0bel , there’s a discussion here, even though it’s not recent :-

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic15954.html

wjgregg
10 months ago

I had exactly the same problem, but in five toes out of ten. The Terbinafine didn’t have any effect on my multiple sclerosis, but neither did it cure the fungal nails…

is0bel
9 months ago

many thanks both.
it actually gave me awful sleep disturbances so i stopped taking it. now having laser treatment. it looked v promising at first but now i’m not so sure…. i’ll keep you posted.
bloody fungus! as if we don’t have enough to deal with, mini fungi are taking advantage!
;-/

tigerbabe74
9 months ago

I have been on Terbinafine for a fungal nail infection and as I was on it for just over 3 months Drs won’t prescribe it again so have been using Nailner from the Chemist, £22 for a teeny bottle but it is amazing! No side effects from the meds by the way, and currently see the Podiatrist every couple of months who files the nail back to get rid of the thickening. So far so good and looks like the infection isn’t active, am also using tea tree oil from The Body Shop as this is what the Podiatrist puts on after the filing is finished xx

is0bel
9 months ago

ooh thanks tigerbabe74!
i read recently that the type of fungus that gets in our nails may be dying out in next ten years anyhow as it has stopped being able to reproduce! well thank f for that!
just off to get some Nailner …

xx

mmhhpp
9 months ago

@is0bel

Hi I also suffer from fungal infection in my toe nails what it works for me is a cream that I get in Spain from the pharmacy but you might be able to find it here ask the pharmacist . It contains
Clotrimazol main component and Betametasona minor component and is called Beta-metasona. After applying the cream for a few days the nail eventually will end up falling do not worry about it, it grows again .

mmhhpp
9 months ago

The type of fungal infection was the one that makes the nail thicken , get rough And yellowish.

is0bel
9 months ago

ok, fab thanks for this, i’ll look out for those ingredients. i think the main problem with mine is the fungus is growing from the cuticle down, so nothing much was working. i had since heard that trying all sorts together can be effective too!
The laser treatment is expensive but if i can get rid of it, i’ll be happy – it’s been 3 years of trying all sorts of lotions!
thanks guys x

mmhhpp
9 months ago

@is0bel
You need to use the cream for a very long time or it will come back! Good luck xx

grandma
9 months ago

Hi IsObel, Just had to ask, all thiis talk cost on both yours and others posts, no-one with MS should be paying for treatment on their feet. Like diabetics, because we don’t always ‘feel’ our extremities, Podiatry treatment should be free. Check with your GP or MS nurse.😍 Jill XX

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.