Last reply 2 months ago
Tecfidera, let's go!

First post, I collected my first round of what I’m hoping are my superdrugs today. Starting tomorrow. Hope to hell they work for me! Realise it won’t be overnight. I think I’m prepared, but who knows.

Been having nerve spasms for weeks now so if I never see them again I’d be delighted! Wish me luck…

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

highlander
2 months ago

Hi @staggger
Welcome to the club.
If you click on the box under your post marked techfidera it will take you to all previous posts made about it.
Feel free to ask if you’d like more info.
Happy trails.

grandma
2 months ago

[email protected] welcome to the Teccy club. It’s all as it says on the box, so I assume you know about all the possible side effects in the first few weeks. The itching and flushing in the first few weeks, the possible bad tum in in week 3 when you go on full dose etc., I won’t go into detail now because some of these things may not happen to you, but forewarned is forearmed. You are not alone, and Shift is full of Teccys who will give you all the support you need, and answer any questions you may have. If you use the spyglass in the top left hand corner and go on Tecfidera you will find all the posts what mention it. Good luck🥊🤞😜

stagger
2 months ago

Thanks @grandma, @highlands

I’ve been reading up so think I’m as well-versed as I can be. Until they happen of course! Then I’ll be on here sobbing like a child 🙄

@grandma I’m on full dose on week 2. I’m stocked up on the over-the-counter meds to help if it happens. 🤢

stagger
2 months ago

highlander
2 months ago

@stagger
I do it all the time no worries!
Question for you what other meds are you using?
There are other ones I take to help with the spasms and they work fairly quickly.

stagger
2 months ago

@highlander I’ve just started Amitriptyline a few days ago, taking it around 8pm each night. So far nothing more than a bit jaded in the morning. Jaded anyway!

I’m also taking a fairly hefty does of CBD which I think has helped. Not as many spasms and not as severe.

Oh and a ton of vitamins 🤯

highlander
2 months ago

@stagger
I take pregabelan it’s the same sort of thing.
As you and me are both Scottish we suffer low vit d well I do for sure not so sunny up there.
My GP had me tested
I was prescribed vit d and follic acid just in case I can be made pregnant! Might be worth asking it’ll tell you what you really need rather guessing and getting stuff you don’t really need.
Worth a shot.

vixen
2 months ago

Hi @stagger, I’m on a Tec and Amitriptyline too and it works well for me with no probs. Make sure you take Tec mid-food, and ensure there is a balance of fat and protein. All the best!

stumbler
2 months ago

Hi @stagger, I wish you well with the Tecfidera.

Do bear in mind that this is a Disease Modifying Therapy (DMT), which is taken to reduce the frequency and severity of future relapses. It may not help with existing MS damage.

As for feeling jaded in the morning after Amitriptyline, take it earlier. It is usually recommended to take it no later than 12 hours before you intend to get up the next day. 😉

thingy003
2 months ago

Hi @stagger,

Good luck with the Tec. I have been taking it since day 1 and 2.5 years down the line I have had no new lesions so I am happy with that. I tend to get the flushing if I don’t have enough food in my system and the cramps if I don’t have a bit of fat with it but apart from that I have had no real issues.

It is a pain to take if I am hungover and can’t face eating just so that I can take the tablet!

stagger
2 months ago

@highlander – thanks for the tip, I think I’ll give that a shout. Haven’t actually not been at my GP’s surgery since this all started, other than them diagnosing me with Bell Palsy in December. Little did I know…

Interestingly, my Brazilian friend has just moved back across to Scotland (why would you, it’s grey outside!) and she told me that her pharmacist tests her and makes up capsules with all of her required vitamins etc. I’m not aware of this type of service in Scotland/UK. Would be quite handy as I’ve just totted up and I’m taking 8 different types of Vitamins (13 tables and one spray). And it is a lot cheaper doing it that way as well!

@vixen, thanks and that’s good to know. From reading a lot on here, which has been great, but I think I probably seek out the negatives rather than the positives. So that is great to hear. I actually ate more for breakfast today than I have done so for years 🙂

@stumbler – that’s a good point, need to watch my expectations. And I think I’ll take it an hour earlier as usually up around 7am. Thanks for this.

@thingy003 – that’s great news on the lesions. I’m just over an hour in and I think I may have some indigestion, which might be caused by the peanut butter toast I had! Not used to eating this and am bloody stuffed!

Thanks all and enjoy your day.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.