Last reply 3 years ago
Tattoos and MS

Does anyone have any idea whether having tattoos is a bad idea for MSers?

I’ve been told to avoid them whilst on steroids as we are immunosuppressed and ‘sitting ducks’ for infection.

I’ve also been told to check the metal content as I have regular MRIs but just looking for some peace of mind before getting inked!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

sef71
3 years ago

Hi @andysot I had 6 tattoos before I was diagnosed,then 1 after diagnosis to commemorate my acceptance of having MS,I can honestly say the whole process was no difference before or after diagnosis.It didn’t bleed anymore and healed just as nicely/quickly as before. Just do as the tattooist says re aftercare … I personally only use Bepanthen cream during aftercare as it puts moisture into the skin and aids healing.
As far as them being affeted by MRI’s I have never encountered any problems so I would say …. GO FOR IT !!! And remember to post pics after x

This is mine (when it healed the ribbon was more orange)x

http://s785.photobucket.com/user/sharonf4/media/image.jpg1_zpsiqbiskft.jpg.html

andysot
3 years ago

Thanks so much @sef71. I never thought I’d get one but I’m doing it for the same reason! We go through so much and my inspiration is music so getting something to give me strength every time I look at it….will defo post pics, so watch this space! X

sef71
3 years ago

Your more than welcomed @andysot I love all my tattoos as they all have meanings to me and getting my MS one brought closure to my diagnosis after 4 years and a way of being positive and moving forward.x

andysot
3 years ago

Your tattoo is awesome by the way @sef71. Positivity is key if we’re to get through this.

Lets hope a cure is on the horizon

sef71
3 years ago

Thank you @andysot I also believe positivity is the key,I do have my blue days but soon snap out of them x

finn15
3 years ago

@andysot, hi, I have been inked up 4 times since diagnosed. I haven’t had any problems with it. I look at mine to remind me of events and times, all good, and it helps me dig deep when I need to. Yeah I agree positivity is vital to keep moving forward, Ink gives me that.

makkymee
3 years ago

For some reason I didn’t think MSers could get tattoos. After seeing this post I’ll have to dig deep and see if I’m brave enough to go through with it.

Your tattoo looks great @sef71

sef71
3 years ago

Thank you @makkymee …. There are lots of places to have tattoos that don’t hurt (well mine didn’t) x

elisha24and
3 years ago

Hi all I have three tattoos and I think I have been ok I am newly diagnosed so I think all ok with me some may say not in a Nice way

hannah015
3 years ago

I had a tattoo 6 months after diagnosis no problems 🙂

scotty221188
3 years ago

I’ve had 3 tattoos done – 2 since diagnosis. When I was getting the stars done on my leg a few weeks ago, I kept twitching all the way through. Me and the tattoo artist had to laugh in the end as he had never known anyone twitch so much when getting one done on their leg. Not going to lie, I am working on a couple more, and already have about 5 more planned. Get one done, you’ll be hooked (suppose there are worse things to be addicted to!)

andysot
3 years ago

Cheers dude. All booked in for May once my steroids have worn off!!

jonesbear
3 years ago

Interesting to see this post I was going to have a tattoo as soon as my daughter is been born in May and was wondering if it would be a good idea,thanks @ andysot for posting it it’s now convinced me to have one,just got to find the right design and decide where to have it.

sef71
3 years ago

@jonesbear if you go onto Pintrest and search Multiple Sclerosis tattoos you’ll get some ideas and if nothing just search Tattoos x

jonesbear
3 years ago

Thanks @ SEF71 for the advice about pintrest I’ve seen a lot of really good designs on there and a few I’d consider having myself I’ll let you know when I make a choice and how I get on,I’ve just got to decide whether on to have it on my shoulder traveling up towards my neck or down my side,I’m not going for a small one it’s all or nothing.

sef71
3 years ago

Hi @jonesbear your more than welcome,Will it be your first? If so unless you have a very high pain tolerance level I wouldn’t do your side/ribs as that area can be a killer xx

Anonymous
3 years ago

It’s definitely a good idea to wait until after steroids, but you might notice you’ll take a bit longer to heal than most people (I got 6 tattoos while on Tysabri and took a week or so longer than most people as it’s an immunosuppressant)

Have fun! It feels great and you’ll feel really empowered (and possibly a bit addicted!) 😉

jonesbear
3 years ago

Yes @ SEF71 this tattoo will be my first and I’ve spoken to a few other people at work and they’re all saying the same so I think I’ll go for the top of my arm or on my shoulder.

andysot
3 years ago

Thanks very much for the advice all. I’ll be sure to post a photo once I’ve been marked!!

Thanks @AnnaMag. I’ve delayed the tattoo to give my immune system the chance to build up again after the steroids.

I’m not on any DMDs at present but am starting Tysabri in May. How are you finding it by the way?

Andy

Anonymous
3 years ago

That’s a good idea Andy, I know that steroids can leave me a bit delicate to put it lightly! Tysabri had been working really well, keeping everything at bay which was great, but I took a reaction just before Christmas so I’ve changed to Tecfidera. I’ve taken a relapse on this though, so the neurologist thinks I might have to attempt tysabri again, as its so effective! It’s definitely good but it can become a bit intense if you don’t have good veins 🙁

andysot
3 years ago

Cheers @AnnaMag, that’s really good feedback. I’ve been DX for 8 years now and have never had any DMDs but tend to respond well to steroids.

I’ve also been on a Stem Cell trial for the last year which is why I’ve been able to get straight on to Tysabri but am really positive about it.

Luckily the trial has shown I have very good veins! We should probably start another topic…this was supposed to be about tattoos! Haha

xander
3 years ago

im covered lol ive had loads while ive had ms and ive had no ill effect im a type 1 diabetic too and there more worryed about that than ms as for metal content you would need to have 1000000x the amount in any ink b4 it would be a issue of a mri 🙂

scotty221188
3 years ago

Andy, I personally feel that Tysabri is the best thing since sliced bread. I’ve already told my MS nurse and consultant that they’re going to have a bit of a fight on their hands if they even think of taking it off me haha.

andysot
3 years ago

@xander you sound like an absolute warrior, keep fighting pal, you’re an inspiration!

@scotty221188 here’s hoping I have half the experience you seem to have had with tysabri mate. Had the news that I’m JCV negative too so I shouldn’t need to come off prematurely!

Thanks again to all who have responded to my post.

Andy

dave-c
3 years ago

I have 11 tattoos. The ones I had since being diagnosed caused no problems and healed fine. I anything they hurt less because of reduced feeling in my arm 🙂

andysot
3 years ago

A while ago I posted about tattoos and MS…the feedback I received was awesome so today I finally went for it. Here’s the result;

sef71
3 years ago

Wow that’s one beautiful tattoo @andysot 😃

scotty221188
3 years ago

That’s a mint tattoo

jonesbear
3 years ago

Nice design @andysot and good art work.

brokendancer
3 years ago

Nice ink 🙂

I had 2 tattoos & 4 sessions of semi-permanent make-up (Eyebrows, lashline & lips). All prior to diagnosis but clear I had MS when they took place and none of them behaved any differently to my first tattoo, at least 3 years before any possible MS weirdness 😉

Sonia x

andysot
3 years ago

Thanks @brokendancer, I followed the link to your blog and noticed you took part in the STREAMS trial. I was on that too and finished in May… How’d you find it?

brokendancer
3 years ago

My bloomin stemcells didn’t grow so that fell a bit flat, I was so excited about it. I was told that did happen to one of the initial sample so I ws a least aware it could happen.
How have you found it? Have you had any improvement?
Sonia x

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.