Cat12 25/06/12
Last reply 5 years ago
Tattoo as away of fighting back

Hi guys,
Has anyone got a tattoo as a way of saying MS isnt going to stop you living your life. This is reason im thinking of getting one.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

purpleannoys
5 years ago

Nice idea for a topic πŸ™‚

I’m going to get quite a big one of a dragonfly on my thigh. Dragonflies were my mum’s fav insect to watch in the garden πŸ™‚ she passed away just over 2 years ago due to complications with her MS. I was dx in oct ’11 and so wanted it both to remind me of her but also of her strength and positivity she showed in the face of her MS and that I can draw on that for dealing with my diagnosis and anything that might come further down the road!

pottypete
5 years ago

I have heard that people with immune system problems should avoid having tattooing done, for some reason.

rochelle28
5 years ago

I think its awesome πŸ™‚ I have a butterfly (hidden) although I got it before I knew I had MS its always stood for hope and new beginnings. My dad had a cow though lol… Its the only tat I will ever have because of my girls but always do what you feel πŸ™‚

scotkiwi
5 years ago

I say go for it.
I have a Treble Clef in a Celtic style on my leg (work safe) and I wouldnt change it ever. I have never had any issues with it at all!

ophelia
5 years ago

I had a 4 hour tattoo session on my (numb) leg just after diagnosis, been fine!!! Go do it!!!

chueykooh
5 years ago

I say yes as long as you can hide it under clothing if necessary. I’m in the construction business so it doesn’t matter if people see my tattoo but if your a business professional or going to be one you better think it through. Make sure it’s a cool one too cause you got to live with for the rest of your life.

Cat12
5 years ago

Thanks for all the great feedback and its really nice to have the encouragement πŸ™‚

Im thinking of a butterfly with some encouraging words to help keep me strong

jaynecharnock
5 years ago

Hi Cat,

I got a tattoo for precisely the same reason πŸ™‚ I have a dove on my wrist, but its in white ink, so not very obvious and i LOVE it. It is to represent hope for the future. I also have a prayer in hebrew script on my foot, which i got after a really tough time i went through, and reminds me to keep faith and remain strong. Just a warning though- they are incredibly addictive- i ended up with another 2, one which turned out really bad because i should have waited and gone to the place i had the others, and another because my husband hated it and im part way through having it removed- which is the worst pain i have ever experienced, far worse than the original tattoo!! Anyway, despite that, I have no regrets about my other 2, because they mean something very special to me πŸ™‚ Take time finding a REALLY good artist, and if you draw up a picture of what youd like and then put it by your bed for a month or 2 and still like it at the end, then its for you!!! Good luck πŸ™‚

Cat12
5 years ago

Hi Jayne,
Thanks for letting me hear your story and think i will do as you suggested to make sure the design is right for me πŸ˜€

jham
5 years ago

I got tattoos before my Dx but afterwards I wanted something that could depict my struggle on my body so people could see what I go through. I went big with a sleeve of the archangel Michael casting lucifer into hell. It’s been a great conversation starter lol. It allows me to share my story. Plus it looks cool lol. I say go for it

kerriejayne
5 years ago

well i actually do will poet it as my profile picture later on orange ribbon with FUMS written at side Fuck You Multiple Sclerosis alot of people find it really great as my own take on the diesease itself x

Lillylilly
5 years ago

I have an Asian style elephant on my lower inner calf. Elephants are the Buddhist symbol for strength. It reminds me to be strong when I don’t feel it.

Cat12
5 years ago

Thanks again to everyone who has told me about theres πŸ™‚ . Your designs sound great. Kerrie I love you tattoo it looks awesome lol πŸ˜€

kerriejayne
5 years ago

Thank you very much it’s my own offensive tribute have a couple of friends who have the F.U.M.S TAT all different not one the same but all for the same reason x

Anonymous
5 years ago

All of my tattoos either have great symbolic meaning to me on my feelings and philosophies on my life.

I getting two/three to do with MS or whatever my illness turns out to be in the end.

The first started out as a joke but has grown more meaningful. It is simply going to be a bright sunshine yellow Lemon with a green leave attached to its stem.
It will be placed on my neck behind my ear…aka on my head. This is the joke-ish part of the tattoo. My partner and I kept joking at the beginning of all of this that my body was just a lemon. Bad manufacturing. It was funny. But then I thought about it. We use the term lemon as something…faulty. Broken. They are sour and bitter. But…they also remind us of summer and sunshine and happiness (hmmm…Vitamin D reference as well as a happy state of mine?).
This Lemon I will be getting sometime in the next month or two.
Once I get my diagnosis I will be getting a stylized lettering under the Lemon of the word ‘Zebra’. Medical community slang for a patient who has been diagnosed with a difficult to diagnose/rare disorder or disease. This being fitting because if I do have MS (and its looking VERY likely) then I am one of the 5% that doesn’t show lesions on MRIs and very possibly one of the 5% that has the rare for of Relapsing-Progressive MS. So if that is that case…the term Zebra is being added under the Lemon.

The second tattoo I am getting is a full piece done of a meditating Ganesha. Hindu god widely revered as “The Remover of Obstacles” and “Lord of Beginnings”. Another tattoo I will have which is a (different then the usual) tree of life with be above the Ganesha tattoo and its roots will be growing around/from his arms.

Anonymous
5 years ago

*leaf attached to its stem.

*as well as a happy state of *mind*??)

Kahnee
5 years ago

Got a scorpion on one arm and a collection of superhero characters on the other – all post diagnosis. I put it down to my age.
Upside of MS seems to be they don’t hurt that much πŸ˜€

hannah
5 years ago

got a tattoo of a phoenix three months after diagnosis, but id had it planned for ages, just fit in quite well, rebirth, strength and all that, I love it.
Quite like the fuck you ms one i saw on here though, dont know if i could pull it off but one of the designs on the tee shirt i saw was pretty cool.

chezza40
5 years ago

I recently had an orange gerber (my favourite flower) on my hip on the date of my 25th wedding anniversary. I have my husband and daughter’s initials and one of the petals I have had shaded gray for one of my bridesmaids who died suddenly last year. It didn’t hurt a bit. I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago and depicts for me -my strength and how lucky I am to have such a strong family to help me deal with this with a smile when I often don’t feel like smiling. Get the tattoo done and smile everytime you look at it.

mmmark
5 years ago

I have my son’s self portrait on my arm. Got it done for his 5th birthday. I love kid’s drawings before they “learn” to draw. My daughter is 4 now and I’m just waiting for her to draw me a fairy rainbow unicorn princess self portrait for her tattoo on daddy.

I have another tattoo on my hip and a bunch of other ideas for work I want done, but they aren’t cheap! The mortgage comes first πŸ˜‰

@Lillylilly – “It reminds me to be strong when I don’t feel it.” This is awesome!

kraheera
5 years ago

I have one tattoo at the moment, but it took me ages to work out exactly how I wanted it done. I have it just below my neck and between my shoulderblades. It’s basically four curved spokes coming off a small shaded circle, with four dots between the spokes. It’s to remind me to keep balance in all things, just as there is a balance in nature to all things. It’s both philosophical and religious for me.

I found the addition to it recently. I am going to get an estimate done on the pricing, but it is basically a celtic dragon knot that I will have done on both sides of the wheel going up towards the tops of my shoulders. Dragons for me have always stood for wisdom, and the ability to fight when necessary. Kind of how I view life and all its challenges. Sometimes it is better to ride the currents, and other times you have to swim against them with all your might. Some of the knotwork kind of reminds me of a seahorse’s fins. I’ll see if I can upload images later.

eilidh24
5 years ago

hi all I have 3 now one for every really bad relapse I’ve had, I got diagnose on Friday 13th so got the number 13 on my wrist, the word smile on my other coz my family and friends say what ever happens to me I’m always smiling Recently got a colour patten over smile which I got hand poked as hate the sound of the guns takes longer but so so worth it to me. I decided to mark my relapse and put them on show people do ask about them some times in a negative way but there my reminder I’m strong and have over come a massive hurdle and will keep on fighting on.

moncie
5 years ago

Im planning on getting bullseyes on my legs where I get my injections. My daughter (shes 6) likes to help give them to me and sometimes she gets sad. So we were thinking that would be an awesome way to let the kids know that we can get through this together……and plus we like shooting πŸ™‚

Kahnee
5 years ago

That is quality!

Anonymous
5 years ago

I have several that run from my upper arm down to my hand forming a vine with five butterflies, each representing a family member (i.e. daughter, son in law, grandchildren etc) around the words “grace abounds” and “Soli Deo gloria” because although MS isn’t high on my list of things to be thankful for I am very thankful for the grace God has shown to me throughout this disease so far and I am very conscious of my need to show grace to others. I also want my attitude, actions, etc to glorify God so it’s a reminder to me that despite what I might be going through there is a bigger picture and I actually am very blessed. Part of the vine at the top of my arm is fashioned into my husband’s name. He is the most amazing, wonderful man and I can’t begin to imagine going through this without him. Lastly, I have Pr. 3:5-6 in script on my wrist. It’s a verse that I cling to when doctors are dismissive, there are trials and frustrations associated with MS or life in general… it says to trust in the Lord and to not lean on my own understanding… this has helped a lot because there are many many times that “my” understanding would send me spiralling into a dark hole. I had my arm done as I my symptoms were accumulating and right after I knew that it was PPMS.

Anonymous
5 years ago

So, after this thread was posted and I responded and read about some of the very meaningful tattoos others were sporting regarding their MS, I have just added to my arm an MS butterfly. It is a monarch butterfly with an orange “cause ribbon” as it’s body. I had this done along with the word “Trust” done in a fancy script. I have to say that my tattooist outdid himself on this one. I am very impressed with how it turned out. I do like @Chels‘s idea about the word Zebra, as I really relate to this, but my arm is pretty complete now so I will have to just envy hers πŸ˜›

clearmri
5 years ago

Just be sure to have a tattoo which is not done in metallic ink, these can interfere with your MRI

Been thinking of having one for years, just can’t decide what to have.

nikkileigh
5 years ago

Hey, guys.
I’m pretty heavily tattooed. My husband is a tattooist, we own a couple of shops. I don’t have any MS related tattoos but my input is, with the change of sensation left over from a relapse I noticed a big difference while getting tattooed on this leg. Had loads of twitches and tremors and very weird uncomfortable sensation. So it’s maybe something to think about with tattoo placement. Also not many modern inks contain metal particles. There is more of a problem with tattoos over 20 years old. Always discuss health issues with your tattooist and remember to tell your doctor if your going for an MRI. Personally I’ve never had any problems with my tattoos and my MRI scans.
Nikki x

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.