Last reply 1 month ago
Swimming lessons

Hi – has anyone taken swimming lessons when mobility has worsened? I’d like to learn but very worried about how I’d get in and out of pool and if I’d be able to keep up with the class. Would like to hear your experiences x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

vixen
1 month ago

Hello @squareuno, being in water is an absolute delight when you have our condition. It will remind you of what it feels like to be normal! Have fun 🙂

stumbler
1 month ago

@squareuno , public swimming pools are equipped to manage swimmers with various disabilities. So, getting in and getting out won’t be a problem.

Go and do what you can, enjoy yourself and enjoy the benefits.

grandma
1 month ago

My permanent talk is of swimming being the best all round exercise for ms, cos it makes every muscle work and the weight is taken by the water. Get in there no matter what. Lots of baths now have Ramps now so disabled people can either walk or be pushed in. It doesn’t matter if you can’t swim, jusr walking through the water, floating on your back and ‘sculling’ with your hands, or just hanging on to the side and dipping up and down into the water all do some good! As an ex swimming teacher and county youth swimmer I know better than most how great water born exercise of any sort is good, as a mser of 26 years I can say get in there as soon as you can, don’t worry about learning to swim if it causes too many problems, just being in the water is great, there lots of things I can no longer do on land, but I can do them in the water. Worth every minute!😍

cameron
1 month ago

And even if you don’t/can’t learn to swim, there’d be nothing to stop you doing aqua exercise classes, because you are in your depth, just standing in the water. Impossible to fall over! My club offers aqua yoga, aqua zumba and aqua keep fit. See what’s available locally and the best of luck! Water is so ‘kind’ to the system that I find I can do about three times the amount of exercise that would be possible on land.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.