Last reply 6 years ago
Swallowing problems.

Hi all.

Wondered if anyone else experienced swallowing difficulties. Have not eaten solids for weeks now and it’s driving me mad. At night I end up drooling as saliva pools at the back of my throat. And it ain’t a great look. lol. Due to have flexible endoscopy to see what’s going on. In the meantime, any advice will be most welcome. Ordinarally have insatiable appetite but current problems put paid to that. Help! If I see another yoghurt or bowl of soup, I’m going to scream!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

DJDsouza
6 years ago

My partner used to endure swallowing problems when eating certain foods – and when trying to take too many tablets at the same time (when trying to copy me!). She would often choke, but seems to have overcome it recently with a change of diet and her not talking whilst eating or being made to laugh

mermaid
6 years ago

Hi there.

Thanks for your response. Admittedly I have had a tendency to talk while eating but only had one choking incident in years. And yes, it is easy to choke if reduced to fits of laughter whilst eating. That said, and my partner is a biologist who has studied human anatomy and physiology for many years, I suspect there is a mechanical fault and perhaps the muscles in the epiglottis have slackened. I’m having to initiate a swallow, as opposed to it happening naturally which is really strange. Will just have to wait for flexible endoscopic evaluation and not jump to scary conclusions, incited by mad scientist partner. lol

Take care,

Angela.

mermaid
6 years ago

Actually, that’s unfair. He’s not mad, although has opinions on everything and not shy about expressing said opinions. When I initially started having problems with balance, coordination and tremors, he thought I had Parkinson’s and that freaked me out. I had to endure lengthy theories from his colleagues and numerous individuals with a scientific background all trying to put in their diagnosis. All with the best intentions, I suppose.

Angela.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.