Last reply 9 months ago
Stumbling and walking issues :(

Not been on here in a while but the advice from the posters is on point as usual. I’ve been struggling with balance and walking for the last 6 months, culminating with a couple of falls this week. I was diagnosed with RRMS in 2016 and I’m on Copaxone DMD. I have not had to use walking aids up to press. Do I contact my MS nurse or doctor. Any thoughts?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
11 months ago

@piper71a , I would contact your MS Nurse in the first instance.

Balance and walking issues suggest that your core strength needs addressing, so a Neuro-physio assessment is a good start.

The MS Nurse should be able to arrange.

buitenmus
11 months ago

I’d contact your MS nurse, if I were you. I was diagnosed MS when I had serious balance problems, so it’s a possible symptom. Maybe just call/mail the nurse for advice on this? They mostly have a better idea of what to do.

piper71a
11 months ago

Thank you stumbler and buitenmus for you responses and advice. Contacted my nurse today and got follow up at Relapse clinic next week. Cheers.

petlamb
9 months ago

Hi @piper71a

Just seen this post and was wondering if your recent issues have resolved or are being treated successfully . . . .

Suze xx

piper71a
9 months ago

Hi petlamb,

Yes and no. Neurologist put it down to MS fatigue which is unavoidable but I’ve started a new diet and I’m trying to adopt a listen to your body lifestyle as I can tend to push myself too much. No relapse so every cloud 🙂🙂🙂

petlamb
9 months ago

Hiya @piper71a

Great there’s no relapse – as you say, clouds and silver linings . . . .

High five! 🖐 You seem to be very focussed and organised with your approach. 👍 Nice one dude!

I’ve got appalling balance and have lots of falls. I got to see a Bioengineer yesterday and am going to try FES (Functional Electrical Stimulation) and then perhaps Botox jabs in the leg to see if either help. However, aside from that, mindfullness (being in the ‘here and now’) has really helped eradicate a lot of the falls I was having. I cannot multitask anymore. Just saying. 🙂

Hope things start to improve for you. 😊

Suze xx

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.