Last reply 1 year ago
Student and MS

Hi everyone,

I am currently studying for a degree (In England) and have just been diagnosed with RRMS. I have received equipment from the Disabled students allowance (DSA), but I don’t know what support I am supposed to be entitled to at my university. The only information I can find online is about PIP, which I don’t think I am eligible for. I just want to know what ‘reasonable adjustments’ my uni should be providing me with. I feel like I am petitioning on my own.

Thanks everyone!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

1 year ago

@studentandms , have a read through this post, which covers some of the issues that you are facing :-

1 year ago

Hi Louise,

I also got diagnosed during my 3rd year at University. Like you, they also gave me the equipment needed.
As far as the support goes trying to get PIP is an option, however you do need to qualify for it. They will asked you question such as can you make food from scratch or make your own cup of tea. so it will be tough to get unless you meet certain requirements.
As far as the adjustments go what do you require from your uni? have you spoken to the student union to see if they can help?

1 year ago

Speak to your student union or student support services. I don’t know your Uni policy, however they need to make reasonable allowance for your disability, and give you extra support and dispensation were appropriate. This can be as simple as extra time to take an exam…… Let your lectures and tutors know, if you haven’t already.

Try getting an appointment with Citizens Advice (CAB), say why when booking. As MS is a fluctuating condition you may think you aren’t eligible as you see yourself on a good day however CAB may help show you how you can apply, or point you in the direction of other support

1 year ago

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. I have booked an apt to see the disability advisor at college, although she mainly deals with dyslexia and dyspraxia. If nothing comes of it then will look to the CAB. Thanks also for pointing me towards the other threads on this topic 🙂

Join to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.