Last reply 3 years ago
Stroke-like attacks? – HELP!

This last Tuesday, I had thesecond of 2 bizarre attacks in 4 months: stroke-like slurred speech, clumsiness, and this time, severe spasticity on my left side, inability to focus my eyes forward, twitching head. In the emergency room, I utterly failed a neuro exam. But it only lasted 3 hours! NOTHING on MRI or CT scan. Absolutely no tests show anything out of the order. Neuro is stumped. I’m desperately freaked out. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

Anonymous
3 years ago

So Sorry to hear! Did they use contrast agent with MRI? It won’t show a thing unless they did and the MRI needs to be an appropriate strength.

Anonymous
3 years ago

Brain MRI with and without contrast. After the last attack, they scanned my heart and carotid arteries. I’m a skinny Minnie, eat healthy, mostly Paleo, no risk factors for heart disease. It’s got to neurological, no?

Anonymous
3 years ago

I am not a doc, but long time MS patient. All of your symptoms are neurological, but stroke and aneurism affect nerves. They certainly should have been able to detect a stroke if you had one. The good news is you apparently don’t have a tumor. You need professional care right away so look for the best neurologist you can find and get there. It’s absolutely who you need and if you need somebody else, they are the one to tell you. Don’t look for blogs to diagnose you and don’t wait around for something bad to happen! Take a deep breath and go about this methodically like it’s a job. I wish you the absolute best.

leena
3 years ago

I got a stroke last month and my symptoms are similar to yours….slurry speech,numbness,etc.
Since you got a Brain contrast Mri done, which came clear, still show it to a proper Neuro since only a trained neuro can diagnose if stroke is serious or minor(and what nerve it affects and how).

Anonymous
3 years ago

Thanks for reaching out, Leena. I’m blessed in that I have excellent insurance and what I and many others consider to be one of the best neurologists in the part of the United States where I live. He and his team are stumped. They’re considering that it might be related to some of the medications I’m taking, possibly the combination I’m taking. I’ve asked my primary care doctor and my pharmacist, and they see no concerns. I’ve have two of these episodes: one in September and one in January. The one in September occurred shortly after I began taking Gilenya (fingolimod). I can’t automatically assume correlation between the two – as we all know, a rise in ice cream sales and a simultaneous rise in the number of drownings do not in the end relate to each other even though they may be happening in the same period of time. What I wonder is, is there anyone else out there in the MS Community who has experienced this? Or am I indeed, as many of us are, truly a Special MS Snowflake? Is this is only happening to me, hence the fact that my doctors are stumped?

angelbum
3 years ago

Hi there I had similar symptoms when I was 15 years old .My vision went black white I couldn’t speak I walking all over the place walking into glass doors walls I also tried to lift a toilet physically which is obviously a neurological shut down I also tried to bite someone I didn’t know what was happening to me . That was my first clinically isolated symptoms my diagnoses at time confusing migraine ?May I ask how long this went on for hours or days ?

Anonymous
3 years ago

Hi angelbum… both times, the episodes were 3-5 hours in duration. My typical day-to-day MS symptoms are primarily limited to fatigue and difficulty walking, so these attacks are quite different.

angelbum
3 years ago

Hi there I can’t quite remember but I think about 5 hours cause I do remember being taken in ambulance then I was discharged the next day did you get any vomiting or headache or black white vision during episode ? Also my arm was not working properly either pin and needles and limp . I’m undiagnosed but I have relapses once or twice a year which has happened since then but when relapse happen never anything like the stroke like symptoms when I was 15 . The latest was caught flu then into 3 rd week realised it couldn’t be flu anymore . I could hardly move had to get Dr to home as didn’t feel able to go to Dr surgery only 2 min drive away . My symptoms of pain stiffness eye problems pain they all swelled up headaches also my brain doesn’t function normal while going through flares dint remember things like birthdays etc really just not like myself at all . My flares last 6-8 weeks then I’m left with unrelenting fatigue for weeks to months it takes ages to build up strengths confidence again after all it puts me through . Just came out one recently but the fatigue and still a bit of pain but not same pain as relapse . Still consume my everyday !

Anonymous
3 years ago

That sounds so hard, angelbum. My heart goes out to you. This disease is really evil.

angelbum
3 years ago

Yes although I don’t have a diagnoses I will tell u now whatever it is very evil I feel so incapacitated with it . I am quite an outgoing person but it just takes so much put of me each time . I feel very scared of it . In fact I’d rather have a go with Mike Tyson a few times instead 🙂 least it would only be a few mins in the rounds then I could recover for a few weeks and be ok again . Not with this dam illness even when I’m not in a relapse I get daily symptoms of fatigue weakness memory problems and my low self esteem as I can be so unsure of myself or should I say the disease has made me feel like that . Got a job as my baby just turned 2 last Sep only part time . A support worker in community I help people with ms brain injury disabilities elderly etc so I’m thinking I have been fine for last 6 months we’ll kinda apart from the daily symptoms that haunt me but can handle . Anyway loved my job went back with old company I used to work for 6 years ago ticking along nicely . Then boom relapse flare back brought on by flu even though I had flu jab ! Couldn’t return as that was the end of December and still just getting my bearings and streng by up again after it !

Anonymous
3 years ago

@yhenn I have been taking Gilenya since 12/10 and never experienced anything like that. I have gotten up following taking it the previous night, and felt like I had been run over by a truck! I did however develop a sensitivity to tecfidera after a year which gave me similar reactions like what you described. It seemed to have an almost immediate exacerbation like effect on me; but I also flushed from head to toe. I quit tecfidera and never experienced anything like that again. I don’t think there was any remaining evidence for a doc to look at. If you think about it, many of these powerful drugs tinker about the immune system and the CNS which can cause many symptoms. Research the list of possible side effects logged during the clinical trials to see that almost anything was reported. I would be concerned that Gilenya did not totally agree with you at the time of the “attacks”; and maybe you should give it up if it happens again.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.