schjo 10/02/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Stress

Do you think it can bring on relapses or change the course of your MS regarding disease activity/new lesions?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@schjo , personally, I’m sure it does. I can track my worst relapses to periods of intense stress.

I wish I knew this fact about 20 years ago. 😕

roary
3 years ago

Oh yes, couldn’t agree more!

Anonymous
3 years ago

There is no question. The worse my MS has become, the more sensitive to stress I am. I go to great lengths to avoid, I can feel it coming on and quickly quit what is behind it. I am also super sensitive to heat, weather changes, and for the first time in my life – lack of sleep!

graham100
3 years ago

The most stressful thing in my life happened 9yrs ago. And I’m sure that could have started it all off. Even though it was 6yrs later. Got to blame something. lol

caterpillar
3 years ago

Stress is definitely something to avoid when you have MS, it definitely makes MS worse.

grahamjk
3 years ago

I agree I think stress may be the main cause of my major relapse last year as my wife died in January,and my employer put a lot more onto my delivery round and I was really struggling with that and my wife so March was when I had my relapse. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to put two and two together.

caterpillar
3 years ago

@grahamjk It sounds like last year was a nightmare, I do hope things pick up from there – how are you doing now?

tracyd
3 years ago

One of the things that my neurologist said was that stress can be a trigger for a relapse of the true emergence of MS, For me losing my mum in October 2013, dealing with the loss of not only my mum but her estate and clearing out and selling her house 250 miles away whilst changing jobs, my husband leaving the army all at the same time was incredibly stressful.

Looking back I can see the signs coming through 2013 when Mum was so ill, the exhaustion, losing sensation randomly every now and then, random acts of clumsiness when I thought I’d lifted and moved my foot and scraped it along the floor were all there but there were things I needed to do so I ignored them and just carried on.

I’ve scaled back a lot of commitments now so it’s work, home, family and the dogs (yes I had to get a friend for mums dog so we now have two) it’s enough for me, I’m happy and mostly stress free unless I’m watching my football team play which is always stressful and for the most part quite disappointing 🙂

Stress is not good for us MSers. Mainly affects my walking and balance…..anxiety is a biggy with me!!

emma
3 years ago

It is which came first, the chicken or the egg kinda question 😉 I know stress affects body chemistry, adrenal glands working over time adding to the stress this MS-body is already under and causing a distorted sense of self fatigue, balance). My neuro is the opposite @tracyd and would not agree that stress influences relapses; something I just can’t credit. Nevertheless, as we know, it is all connected – bio/psycho/social – and one thing will trigger another.

Meditation has worked for me re anxiety @stallionicchampionic

nanny78
3 years ago

Do you mind me asking where you learned how to meditate? Was it difficult or is it easy to get the hang of. I’m hoping that it will help with stress relief. Thanks.

caterpillar
3 years ago

Totally agree with @emma, meditation is very helpful.
If you want to try @nanny78, you’ll find some guided meditations from Univeristy of Auckland here http://www.calm.auckland.ac.nz/20.html?t=1386197103.23

My favourite is Sharon Salzberg, but I am sure others are also OK 🙂

hayla
3 years ago

Well Ive have been extra stressed since last summer with ‘feminine’ health issues but had even more stress added to the mix since a week or two before Xmas.
I havent had a relapse so farbut methinks thats more due to Tysabris then anything else to be honest.
The extra stress has caused my migraines to become far worse (went from a meakly level 2/3 to a level 5 and up unfortunately) plus my insomnia have also became much worse (Im lucky to get one or two hours of sleep every two days) and the meds my neuro has prescribed have lost their ‘kick’ so to say.
With that im extra exhausted (fatigued?!) so all the sequels from my prior relapses have been showing a lot more then they would normally.
My psychologist says Ive got a ‘relapse’ from my depression 13years ago but thats no news to me. Its not as bad as it was so far – at least I can control the suicide thoughts for now – but Ive got a psychiatrist appointment booked for next week and am hopeful that she can give me something to halp me sleep for a change. -.-‘

grahamjk
3 years ago

Hi @hayla I can understand the sleep issues if I get more than 4 hours a night I’m lucky I think that’s what makes me so fatigued but I’ve been like this since January 2014 so I’m sure the stress and tiredness don’t help my relapses (2 in 10 months)

stumbler
3 years ago

@hayla , the correct amount of quality sleep is the cornerstone of good health. It could be stress and anxiety which is causing this problem. And everything else just spirals from this.

Psychiatric help seems a useful way forward.

hayla
3 years ago

@grahamjk I usually get between 5h to 9h (if Im lucky and usually with ‘drug’ help) per night but since last November Im lucky if I get 1h to 2h per night and it only has gotten worse. Ive been too tired to move but my brain keeps up and alert, jumping from one though to another and its absolutely awful! ='(

@stumbler I ‘know’ part of the causes. Stress, anxiety and the freaking migraines (which r funny enough caused by stress and hormones). I just want/need a full nights sleep, is that too much to ask? ='(
Sometimes I think so, cause the one person that should help me relax is the one person thats been causing part of the drama/stress, always before bed. -.-‘

Anonymous
3 years ago

There doesn’t appear to be a strong evidence base proving the theory but I had my first attack during a prolonged period of high stress.
That said I was even more stressed and anxious after the attack / diagnosis and did not have another relapse then!

I’ve started to have a go and mindful meditation and do feel less stressed and calmer in general. I read a piece of research somewhere saying meditation can actually show changes to the brain on MRI’s.

Either way stress is not good for the body or mind and MS causes enough of that on its own.

highlandmck
3 years ago

yes it does without a doubt

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.