Purplepenguin 13/03/17
Last reply 2 months ago
Strange sensation on front of neck/throa

Hi everyone,

I have a new and rather odd symptom, which I have run past both my MS Nurse and physio this morning and neither of them have come across it before!!

I have a strange sensation of pressure on the front of neck/throat that feels a bit like I’m wearing a scarf. It can be transient or last for hours. Often worse in the evening. It’s slightly more to one side which is my weaker and often more symptomatic side.

It’s not affecting my swallow as such, but it is very unpleasant and makes me more aware of that area when I’m eating.

Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? It would just be reassuring to know that I’m not the only one…and any suggestions of how to stop it would be even better!!
Many thanks
Jo

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
11 months ago

@Purplepenguin , are you sure it’s not a manifestation of Dysphagia :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/swallowing ?

Purplepenguin
11 months ago

@stumbler, thanks for the reply. I don’t think so, because it feels like it is a pressure from the outside rather than inside (if that makes sense?) and not really affecting swallow.

stumbler
11 months ago

Purplepenguin
11 months ago

@stumbler thanks for the link. I suspect that relates more to dysphagia type of throat tightness, but it isn’t clear and I’m not on any meds. Thank you for taking the time to look for me. I have done a Google search and I haven’t come up with anything so far. Maybe I’m unique 😉

ellenmay
11 months ago

Weirdly, I too have had similar issues and for me the dysphasia route was one I was sent down causing great hilarity to friends and family when my appt for “speech therapy” arrived….
MS or otherwise what you experience is very real and extremely hard to discuss without sounding daft! In my case, if I am tired it’s worse, I can no longer wear necklaces, or if I do it’s probably removed before I even get downstairs, but having lived with what is for me altered sensation, for many years, I can say that in my case, it’s not developed into anything else.
I know I am very careful with the mechanics of eating and try not to get side tracked into conversation until my meal is safely eaten,not easy for me (never was a need for speech therapy).
Hope this helps

Purplepenguin
11 months ago

Hi Ellenmay,
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. That is very reassuring. I’m pretty sure mine is altered sensation too, but as with many of these ms symptoms it’s very difficult to describe! It does come and go and is definitely worse when I’m tired.
Thanks again.

kyjere
2 months ago

I HAVE THE SAME THING! Have you figured out what it was? Did it go away? I’m going on 2 months of this! Doctors are thinking allergies? But they don’t know. Medication isn’t helping yet. I don’t know if its gerd, allergies, some type of anxiety… but its hard. My though only gets worse if I move around.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.