Last reply 1 month ago
Stopped taking medication

Hi all,today I have decided to stop taking tecfidera. I want to be as natural as possible,No more blood taking. I appreciate any advice/comments,even if you say I’m silly I have made up my mind. And if anyone is into natural remedies I’d love to know what you use. Thank you 😊

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 month ago

@tish22 , it’s your choice, so I wish you well with your chosen path.

Do let your MS Nurse know………

vixen
1 month ago

Hi @tish22 good luck, and do keep us posted about how you are feeling and getting on without Tec x

rachaellouise
1 month ago

@tish22 – I support you whatever you choose to do.
I have been following the natural route of diet and lifestyle. I am not anti drugs but the side effects worry me. Also what worries me is the treatment they offer really right for you or is it because of saving money and the treatment that is right for you is not offered because of the costs. A lot of people mention Lemtrada and its effective when you have active or very active RRMS . More effective in early stages of diagnosis so I don’t understand why they are not offering it to people. Is this cost related?
I believe in functional medicine not just main stream. I believe in a integrative approach.
I also believe in having stem cells in the future but in my view you have to get diet and lifestyle under control for it to work long term..
There are different stem cells.

Look at diet and lifestyle and do your research.
I use the Whals Protocol for my dietary protocol.
I also integrate and try the lifestyle changes that she mentioned in her book. I also look at all I can and give them a try.
It can take upto 5 years or more to get your body back into balance but its worth the effort in my view, we have nothing to lose, nothing worse than ending up in a nursing home!
If you need meds do take them but still do the diet and lifestyle then eventually you may be able to wean yourself off.
Good Luck
Rachael xxxx

stumbler
1 month ago

@tish22 , there is a whole life philosophy on this website :-

https://overcomingms.org/

You can also request a free copy of their accompanying book.

tish22
1 month ago

Thank you all for your reply. Much appreciated 🙂

sean_baldwin
1 month ago

I have been taking Tecfidera for over a year and so far it seems okay with me. The side effects that I’ve experienced has been only flushing here and there, once in a while – maybe once a month?
I am also watching my diet. I have cut out dairy, eat low saturated fat, and have cut out gluten / wheat. When I say “cut out” I’m not perfect and I have eaten cheese or wheat here and there. I seem to have the most trouble keeping Sat Fat out of my diet. I was previously vegetarian for 15 years, now I eat fish so am technically “Pescetarian”.
I do need to get another CAT scan to know really how I’m doing, but I think I’m doing remarkably well. So far no disabilities here. I was scared when one of the first symptoms of MS that I noticed was the sometimes-paralysis of part of my right leg. Luckily (and I count this among my many blessings) that has gone away for the past few years. Hopefully it will not return.
Anyway, enough about me. @tish22 did you face any side effects of Tecfidera that led you to decide to quit it?

Please let us know.

Thank you,

Sean

criswell
1 month ago

Hi Tish, My friend send me some info on natural remedies this week when I told her I was thinking about switching to Lemtrada for Tysabri. She said why not try these things first:

supplements that can be used as multiple sclerosis natural treatments to help support the immune system and aid in preventing MS symptoms such as fatigue and weakness:

Fish oil (2,000 milligrams daily) — Fish oil can help reduce inflammation and promote better nerve functioning.
Probiotics — Helps to restore or maintain a healthy symbiotic gut microbiota that decreases inflammation.
High potency multi-vitamin — Provides basic nutrients needed for immune function.
Digestive enzymes (1–2 capsules with meals) — May help with digestion and reduce autoimmune reactions to foods.
Vitamin B12 (1,000 micrograms daily) — Vitamin B12 helps with the formation of nerves.
Astaxanthin (2 milligrams, one to two times daily) — A powerful carotenoid antioxidant found in wild-caught salmon that can support the brain and nervous system. It can be found in certain fish oil supplements, helping to improve its effects.

Use Essential Oils

Essential oils including frankincense oil and helichrysum oil naturally support the neurological system. In animal studies, frankincense has been shown to have many anti-inflammatory properties and to help support regeneration of damaged nerves and functional recovery. (20, 21) You may want to try frankincense oil as one of your multiple sclerosis natural treatments. Take 2 drops of frankincense internally three times a day for three weeks, then take one week off and repeat that cycle. You can also rub 2 drops of helichrysum oil on your temples and neck two times daily. Also, basil oil and cypress oil can improve circulation and muscular functions and therefore may help reduce MS symptoms.

Nutrient-Dense Diet High in Healthy Fats

A 2015 report published in the journal ASN Neuro states:
Dietary factors and lifestyle may exacerbate or ameliorate MS symptoms by modulating the inflammatory status of the disease, both in relapsing-remitting MS and in primary-progressive MS. This is achieved by controlling both the metabolic and inflammatory pathways in the human cell and the compositio…
No specific type of diet has been proven to prevent or cure multiple sclerosis. But there is some evidence that following a diet that’s high in antioxidants and healthy fats can be one of several basic multiple sclerosis natural treatments that may help with symptom management. Experts believe that high-calorie, highly-processed “Western diets” may be a trigger for MS and other neurological disorders.

Hope this helps.

californiadreamin
1 month ago

@tish22 did you have GI side effects or something that made you stop? My wife started in 2016 and we stopped because the side effects were unbareable but then after a new approach we tried again after a few weeks. It was like night and day and she has been on it for about 2 years without any issues.

the good thing with Tecfidera is there is some reason to believe that some of what it does has helped adjust your microbiome in a way thats good for you, even if you stop for a while.

Hope you are doing well.

tish22
1 month ago

@seanbaldwin I was very lucky not to have any side effects apart from a slight flush with the very first tablet. I decided to quit because i don’t want to be on any pharmaceuticals. I eat what i like & drink alcohol in moderation & i feel fine.

tish22
1 month ago

@criswell
Thank you so much for that I shall make a list & go to my local health store.
Have you tried any of these?
Thanks again 😊

nutshell88
1 month ago

Well its your choice
In my case I was diagnosed 2005 and I’ve never had treatment
But now I’m thinking about starting Gilenya
Although my condition is still fine
Not disabled anyhow
But for the future they said and I guess after 14 years I better accept and take treatment and see how it goes

cloudy
1 month ago

@tish22 hi there I was diagnosed earlier this this year was to go on tec but I was so unsure as to if I really needed to go on a dmt as I’ve lived with ms for roughly 27 years with only a few relapses that caused me any bother I have been to a kinelologist who advised that I go in b6 php and zinc picolinate – So for now I’m going to give that a chance but I do intend to have another Mri in the next 12/18 mths to make sure I’m still doing the right thing I don’t intend to be silly about it – so if you are thinking of stopping the dmt you should have a plan for mri down the road just to keep an eye on it

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.