Last reply 1 week ago
Stiff legs

For a few years after my last relapses im bogged down with stiff legs. Walking is so slow and tiresome due to the stiff legs. I’m on baclofen for years and feel it does very little to help. I’ve tried magnesium and stretch a small bit but nothing helps. It’s cracks me up as it’s my main symptom. Neuro said I’m on enough baclofen. Any tips to help?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

grandma
1 week ago

Swimming

cameron
1 week ago

What you mustn’t do it stop making the effort to walk, because that will lose you even more function. My physio says that even if you can’t do a movement properly, the fact that you’re trying to will keep that neural memory going. Once you stop reminding the brain of what it’s supposed to be doing, it will ‘forget’. Upping your overall fitness is probably the best strategy. As @grandma says swimming and/or water ‘walking’, if you can find an exercise pool with no deep end would be ideal. Increasing your stamina, ‘puff’ and muscle strength should make things a lot easier. x

stumbler
1 week ago

@pastglory, you have to be aware that Baclofen is a double-edged sword. Increasing the dosage too far will increase the muscle relaxation to such an extent that your legs become weak.

Exercise and stretching is the way forward.

pastglory
1 week ago

@stumbler its a question I ask a lot if I’m on too much baclofen. I’m on 60mg a day and don’t get any relief from it. My physio says I need more but my neuro says I’m on enough. I don’t know if its making me weak or is it the spasticity just bad. Thanks

pastglory
1 week ago

@cameron I exercise a little bit but nowhere near enough. I do a lot of stretching too. I do walk a lot more than usual for the last year but it really tires me out dragging myself along with stiff legs that don’t bend. @grandma says to try swimming which I can’t do and no pool near me but I’d love to try it,heard its great for strengthening the legs. Exercise is something I love if I had the energy.

cameron
1 week ago

Sorry to say this and you won’t want to hear it, but it’s only through exercise that you’ll increase your energy levels. There are alternatives to swimming: yoga, Pilates, even the gym. The question is: how much do you want to improve? xx

pastglory
1 week ago

@cameron it’s true that exercise helps with alot of things.my problem is that I can’t do alot of types of exercise as I can’t bend my legs and if I do I might not be able to get up off floor. The spasticity puts a lot of effort on me round do exercises. I really would love to be able to do more but every place has steps or a little hill to get to these things. I do plates which is great but I need some drug intervention to help a bit more. Thanks

robb
1 week ago

I also have stiff legs like you although now I don’t walk anymore, like you I have been changing my doses with baclofen for years. If you take to little your stiff and if you take too much it makes you weak. You have to find the middle, mine is 30 mg a day. I find an exercise bike In the mornings for half an hour helps a lot, lots of stretching at least 3 to 5 times a week and swimming and lastly cannabis seems to help with my spasms and stiff legs. I hope you find a way to Help your symptoms.

stumbler
1 week ago

@pastglory , does a local hospital have a hydrotherapy pool that may be of use to you? Your physio should know.

grandma
1 week ago

I also do a Pilates class, yes it takes a bit of time and effort to get ‘down’ but all the class is done on the floor, and others will always help me back up afterwards. Worth trying if you find one close to you?

pastglory
1 week ago

I find that exercise really helps me, especially if it’s in a group like the mssociety. Takes a few weeks but I really do feel the benefit. From what @stumbler said about baclofen causing weakness if too much is taken, I lowered my dose a little bit today and I do feel a little bit better. Now I got to start back my intensive exercise plan once this hot humid weather dies off. I can’t swim btw and have a little fear of water even though I’m on an island.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.