Last reply 1 year ago
Starting back on Avonex

Starting back on Avonex, on Wed after coming off it last April, have tried Tecfidera which was not good for me at all. Just wondering if anyone else has recommenced Avonex and will the side effects be as bad as they were in the beginning. I had an mri in Dec with contrast which showed, new disease activity with active lesions. This news has left me a bit deflated as I had no new symptoms. X

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

wonderwoman
1 year ago

Hey mo-jo!

Well I’m sorry for you, that Tecfidera didn’t work for you. I take Avonex from the beginning and have barely no side effects. Maybe just 5-6 times in over 2 years. Anyway: I guess no one can promise that your second shot with Avonex will work out without complications – but I know, that a positive mind is just as important as the medication. No.. actually ithe most important thing. The only advices I can give you are:

Take the injection in the evening right before you go to bed. I prefer to take my injection on Friday because I don’t have to get up for work on Saturday. I usually take an ibuprofen or novalmin before. Drink a lot of water, have a good warm meal or dinner that day and avoid alcohol. I don’t know if this is why I have barely no problems with Avonex – but I also can’t say something against it. But I’ll wish you good luck!

stumbler
1 year ago

@mo-jo , there must have been a reason for switching to Tecfidera. As there are indications of progression, then your medication should be reviewed again, to consider moving your to a stronger, second level treatment.

Try discussing this issue with your MS Nurse in the first instance.

mo-jo
1 year ago

I had asked to try oral treatment as I was fed up injecting myself. New consultant asked for an mri before changing treatment. As it didn’t work out, he was happy for me to go back on Avonex. First injection was on Wed and it the side effects were manageable.
I have been off work for 6 weeks, going back on 14th, the joys. X

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.