Last reply 2 years ago
Speech/conversation

Hi All
I have never posted on here before. I was diagnosed about 8 yrs ago with benign (if such a thing exists!) MS, so in all respects I am one of the lucky ones. I suppose its been mild but I have noticed gradual changes and I am not on any DMD’s, like I cannot write, my right hand is useless I have weakness in my right leg. I was wondering if anyone has difficulty in conversation, like I have difficulty expressing myself properly and I avoid talking on the phone because I find I get worse when I do. Anyone else have this problem?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

jonesbear
3 years ago

I have problems when having a conversations largely because I forget what I’m saying half way through a sentence or I can’t remember the words I need when trying describe something it gets really frustrating.

tabbycat
3 years ago

Hi, your symptoms dont sound very benign to me. Are you on medication? I think you should check in with a neurologist, to make sure they are keeping a good track of your progress. Best wishes!

finchy
3 years ago

I agree with Tabbycat…you need to make sure you are on the neurologist’s radar.

stumbler
3 years ago

@Weegie , I agree with he above comments regarding your condition and your neuro.

As far as your “speech” problems, you might find the following factsheet useful in explaining this particular MS symptom:-

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/downloads/cognition.pdf

cazzzzzy
3 years ago

Yep! I also have this problem! … It isn’t getting any better either 😕 … I have to quickly stop people interrupting my train of thought to speech too otherwise I have completely forgotten what I first set out to say!

I also get it when writing posts on here, I will submit messages and then think of something else I wanted to say 10 minutes later 😕

xxx

banksider
2 years ago

I so identify with this.

Find myself getting halfway through a sentence and then forgetting the end!

Now, instead of talking automatically I select the words (in itself this may be hard), then string them together in my mind so that I can visualise the whole sentence in my head, and then I speak it and hope I get to the end before I forget the end!

And whether I need to do this, or my brain and speech are working OK, varies minute by minute or second by second. Totally unpredictable.

Of course, it is always worse in stressful situations but we expect that don’t we?

Just today I was ordering food at the counter and totally forgot the word quiche. So had to point saying (or trying to say) I’ll have some of that that please.

Usually I just get my wife to do the ordering. Is easier!

Gotta laugh though, haven’t we? 🙂

monica2015
2 years ago

Well, incredible you have managed to come out the other side after 40 years of MS! Congratulations on that feat alone!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.