Last reply 7 months ago
Spasms and baclofen question

Hiya,
Last night I had the longest lasting and most severe spasms I have ever experienced. I do appreciate that many of you will be having these spasms on a daily basis and far more painfully than I have. To you, I apologise for being a wimp.
I have been prescribed baclofen 5mg am, and 10mg pm.. I can increase to 10mg in am too if I want… however I don’t want to, as these severe cramps/spasms are not regular. I do have some spasticity in my legs which was noticed by the MS nurse. .so the baclofen really was prescribed for that as well.
What I was wondering was, would an extra 10mg baclofen work if I have a repeat of last night.. ie if I am in the middle of a spasm attack.?
Last night I was gulping down the tonic water and ended up taking a diazepam. I had to keep gently moving because if I stopped I immediately went into spasm …. All this did eventually work!! (This diazepam was left over from years ago… and not prescribed for my current situation!!!)
Any advice would be very helpful…
Emma T xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

stumbler
7 months ago

@pikilily , what part of your person was spasm-ing?

pikilily
7 months ago

It was inner and back of thighs and sometimes deep in my hips.
I was so sore I was struggling not to keel over and faint ..not easy, when I needed to keep moving to reduce the cramping. As a nurse I would say I went into a shock..!! The spasms lasted for six hours.

stumbler
7 months ago

@pikilily , as a nurse, I’m a bit concerned that I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but here goes………

Stretching could well be of benefit to try and avoid the need for “pharmaceutical intervention”.

I found this website which seems to address the right area:-

https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/hip-flexor-exercises#takeaway

Just be careful and don’t attempt anything which you find unsafe.

Can I have the eggs back, once you’ve finished sucking them? πŸ˜‰

pikilily
7 months ago

Ahhh, thanks, @stumbler. I will have a look at that. Ironically I started yoghurt a few weeks ago, and was immersed in it yesterday afternoon!! However some targeted exercises will be useful.
I do have to admit that, as my MS nurse has put it, I overexerted myself ….. And this may be the cause. ( I painted the whole kitchen on Sunday and the utility room yesterday) …so it’s self inflicted. These things always happen when OH is away abroad! πŸ€•πŸ€• I have all the chores to do. (Horses, dogs hens..firewood etc) .and I am too stubborn to ask for help.
As for the eggs, the hens are still laying. Would you like a dozen 🐣πŸ₯šπŸ₯šπŸ‘ΊπŸ€‘🀑

stumbler
7 months ago

@pikilily , it’s so easy to over-do things. Is stubborness a symptom of MS?

And, what’s all this, “I started yoghurt a few weeks ago, and was immersed in it yesterday afternoon”?

Now, I may have to tell your hubby that you were talking dirty to me while he was away…….. πŸ˜‰

pikilily
7 months ago

LOL…he’s used to my quirky ways… and my phrilly sazings πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒ

stumbler
7 months ago

@pikilily , first you’re immersed in yoghurt and now, “phrilly sazings”!

I don’t need to know about your underwear. I’m going to have to tell your hubby about this! πŸ˜‰

pikilily
7 months ago

πŸ˜©πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

pikilily
7 months ago

@stumbler ,,, your cheeky responses have really cheered me up… thank you ,,,πŸ€‘πŸ€‘πŸ€‘

stumbler
7 months ago

It’s my London heritage, @pikilily . The cheeky cockney, that’s me. πŸ˜‰

Anyway, we need things like this to release those good chemicals in our brains. So, it’s a therapy……..

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.