Last reply 6 months ago
Some advice please.

I have recently been diagnosed with RRMS and i am waiting to start treatment, I am going to see my MS nurse for my first appointment in a couple of weeks and i am having a hard time trying to figure out what treatment i should go with.
I recently had a contrast MRI and my neurologist got in to contact with me to say that compared with my last MRI scan there was no evidence of the lesions being active, so this limits my treatment options (i have had 3 relapses in the last 6 months, the 3rd one which i don’t know if it is a relapse as I have never had it before has been happening since a few days ago, its a burning pain across the top of my back originating from my spine area, would this count as a relapse?), the options of treatment that are available to me are: Teriflunomide, Dimethyl Fumarate, Interferon Beta, Glatiramer and due to the evidence of active MS clinically i would also be eligible for Alemtuzumab. Due to the lack of MRI changes i am not eligible for Natalizumab or Cladribine at this stage.
Thanks for taking time to read this, any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
6 months ago

Hi @cosmo89 and welcome.

Here’s good definition if a relapse, which should allow you to determine what is going on :-

https://www.mssociety.org.uk/what-is-ms/types-of-ms/relapsing-remitting-rrms

The following link tells you all about Disease Modifying Therapies (DMTs) :-

https://support.mstrust.org.uk/file/store-pdfs/MS-Decisions-ALL.pdf

The latest thoughts on treatment is to hit MS hard and fast, using the most effective treatments. This avoids the potential to incur further MS damage with less effective treatments.

But, any treatment has to fit into your lifestyle. If your family is complete, then this decision becomes a bit easier.

I hope this helps, but feel free to pose any further questions.

grandma
6 months ago

Hi Cosmo89, don’t know any of the others but I was onBeta Inferon for 23 years, it has only just stopped working hence the change to Tecfidera. When I was put on Beta there wasn’t any choice, it was a trial which when Nice said yes, we celebrated but most hospitals couldn’t afford it.

You don’t say how old you are, but I was 38 at the time and the neurologist told me that my RRMS would become 2nd Progressive in 10-15 years, it took 24 so I,’m not complaining. So for me BI was wonderful, but we are all very different, listen to your ms nurse and see what they and Neurologist say. Good Luck😍 Jill

cosmo89
6 months ago

Hi @stumbler and @grandma,
Thanks for you advice, it is really helpful and by the way I am 28 years old 🙂

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.