arknat 25/12/17
Last reply 6 months ago
Sock interference when Walking/Jogging

Hi All,

I recently discovered that I perform much better without socks during my walk/jog session. I have no idea why that is the case but it is. With socks on, my overall ankle control decreases and experience tightness. My toes feel numb and weird, again lack of control there as well. My gait gets really bad. I did not think it was circulation related but not sure. I then asked my neuro about this but he said he did not have any of his patients particularly complain about it. He gave me a generalized answer that it could interfere with nervous impulses that are already compromised with.

I was wondering if anybody around here has seen this ? I’m now forced to go without sock during cold winters.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

billybilo
6 months ago

I have very similiar problem. I rarely wear socks (especially thick ones) because when I do, numbness in my feet (which I normally don’t even notice) seems to be more noticeable. And when I feel that my feet are numb I tend to think that there’s something wrong with them, so I walk differently (slower for sure). I guess it’s just our broken minds playing tricks.

stumbler
6 months ago

Guys, it couldn’t be that the elastic in the sock is too tight, therefore inhibiting the blood flow? In this scenario, the brain would probably not receive the right messages to correct the problem.

Just a thought.

cameron
6 months ago

Choosing socks is quite an issue! After buying cheap/expensive/designer options, I have arrived at The Perfect Sock!! It’s lightweight but warm because it’s thermal. It doesn’t pinch, it doesn’t leave marks, it doesn’t ‘move’. It’s not a sock as such, it’s a sock liner, meant to be worn under an ordinary sock but for me, perfect as it is. The make is Bridgedale. Not cheap but if you try a pair, you may be pleasantly surprised. xx

nutshell88
6 months ago

I had the same problem before but now I feel the opposite better walking with socks but socks has another problem with me that they give me that burny feeling sometimes.

I hope you feel better again.

arknat
6 months ago

Thanks all for your responses.

I recently had a minor fall toward end during my walk/jog session and bloodied my knees. This got me looking closer at this .. Had socks on and blame it on those. Definitely something going on that destabilizes the leg neurologically.

@billbilo – Yes, thick socks are the worst and no socks the best. Does not seem to matter whether they are tight or loose.
@cameron – Will try out the Bridgedale sock liners.

cameron
6 months ago

I’d be interested to know how you get on with the Bridgedale. Have just looked at your profile and see you’re not UK-based (?) and I think they’re a British brand but I can find you a link if you can’t get them easily. xx

arknat
6 months ago

I live in the US, NC (east coast). Its probably sold here. I did a quick amazon search for Bridgedale sock liners. There were some liner socks in the output …

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Bridgedale+sock+liner+men

Not sure if the model you have is listed … but I could use a link.

Thanks.

cameron
6 months ago

Well, here’s an enigma. From what I can see, they’re US-produced but a load cheaper in the UK. I suggest you look at amazon.co.uk under the following search: Bridgedale Everyday outdoor Coolmax Liner Twin Pack Men’s Socks. What comes up is what I bought (although I’m female), but even the bigger sizes are loads cheaper than on the US amazon site plus it’s a twin pack. See what you think. If you want to buy any, I’d be very happy to order and send – because by coincidence I am needing a small (kitchen) item that is only available in the US and the firm have refused to post it to the UK. So we could do each other a good turn if you want!

merfield
6 months ago

[email protected], I never wear socks whatever the weather-they ‘slide’ inside my shoes making me even less stable than I am already. Xx

fingersandtoes
6 months ago

I would go for a gait analysis at a reputable running shop. It’s possible your shoes are too small and you would be better off with a larger pair. Also there are different lacing techniques that may help like the heel lock: https://www.locklaces.com/blogs/resources/how-to-tie-a-heel-lock

As for socks, my favourite are Icebreaker merino wool socks. Wouldn’t be without them in the winter! They have thick or thin socks, the ones designed for running are a bit thinner so hopefully won’t interfere too much.

arknat
6 months ago

Thanks @cameron, @merfield, @fingersandtoes for your inputs.

I’m going to do some experimenting with sock model you all listed. Its pretty cold around here due to an arctic blast so very demotivating to head out!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.