Last reply 2 months ago
Silly questions!

Okay, I feel like I shouldn’t be asking this, but I’m going to anyway.

Did anybody here decide to receive treatment before having children? Or did you decide to have children and then receive meds? Do you wish you’d have done things differently or not?

Just curious as to what people’s experiences are. ๐Ÿ™‚

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the โ€˜xโ€™.

brando
3 months ago

I think this is more oriented at females on here but, this does go through my mind quite a lot.

I was diagnosed young and dont have any children. But it was something I always wanted. but then that creeping feeling comes in that my MS will get in the way somehow. which I then convince myself to not have children.

I do know a mother of two with MS however she went off her medication during the pregnancy term which did cause some issues for her. But she is still quite mobile and still happily married with her two kids. There are bumps in the road but I would think even someone without MS would probably have the same too.

hope this helps. ๐Ÿ™‚

stumbler
3 months ago

@katie_harrison , it’s not a question of one or the other these days. There are Disease Modifying Therapies, which can be considered more “family friendly”.

There’s a few considerations, e.g. the activity/severity of your MS, your age, your family schedule, etc..

Everything is still possible. ๐Ÿ˜‰

cloudy
3 months ago

@katie_harison when I was first told I had an ms like Mri – it was actually at that point that I kinda started to think about having children as I previously didn’t wasn’t them but thought my hubby didn’t deserve to have a faulty wife & no kids ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ so we had our first 11 years ago I am only going on meds in the next little while as I’ve been pretty symptom free up until now so didn’t think there was any urgency but I do stress that I was obviously very
mild form but three children later my family is done and my husband wants me to take the neuro’s advice to start …… So will see in two weeks but just one pce of advice done rule out feeding urself as I did just because of the fear of passing on anything apparently there is less chance if u feed for 4 months …… Not saying I would have but I might have considered it at least ……. But I don’t do regret & am happy with my decision

@brando dont make decisions u will regret later if u are in a position to have children & want them you should at least consider the possibility – I love my three to bits and don’t regret having them for 1 minute

grandma
3 months ago

You have had loads if answers, because, as we keep saying there is no such thing as a silly question with ms!๐Ÿ˜

katie_harrison
2 months ago

That’s what I am afraid of – starting treatment, coming off in a few months and maybe relapsing.

But I know There’s just as good a chance of that happening without any treatment at all.

Considering I had three relapses in five months I think it counts as very active. But the M&S nurse I spoke to last week said it probably wouldn’t make a big difference whichever way I decided.

When I received my diagnosis my heart was set on starting a family right away, but as time has gone on I have questioned it. I have never felt as ready as I do now, and I am 30 next year and don’t want to wait. But there are other things I need to take care of first.

I still have a lot of time to decide, but my indecisiveness is driving me insane.

stumbler
2 months ago

@katie_harrison , go with your heart and that’ll be the right decision. ๐Ÿ˜‰

cooper4444
2 months ago

Hi Katie,

I put off for a year which is all my Neuro would allow me to do. we discussed what would be the best solution for me and my husband and I started Copaxone which is the safest to fall pregnant on. when I did fall pregnant with my son I stopped my medication immediately. I was extremely lucky that my MS went away which happens with a lot of pregnancies and I didn’t have a relapse in the danger zone ( 1st 6 months) after birth. What ever you chose will be the best decision for you. Good luck on your MS Journey

mamawals
2 months ago

Well I didnโ€™t realize I had MS when I had my kids so it wasnโ€™t a conscious choice. My advice is not to rush it. Once you start a family there is no going back. The good news is I was basically pregnant or breastfeeding for several years and pregnancy made my symptoms go away twice, and I never had any symptoms while pregnant or breastfeeding. So while youโ€™re pregnant and breastfeeding you MAY experience a temporary reprieve, but from what I have read it doesnโ€™t slow overall disease progression in the long term. I have had two relapses in the last year since stopping breastfeeding my youngest, so maybe Iโ€™m making up for lost time? ๐Ÿ˜•. If you really want children get yourself in a good place financially before starting because kids are expensive! And thatโ€™s stressful. Almost everyone has some sort of health problem, we just have MS. Itโ€™s not the end of the world, it just changes things a bit.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.