katfight 22/09/14
Last reply 3 years ago
Should I cancel my pip assessment?

So guys, I put in for pip back in January this year when I wasn’t in the best place, 9 months on i received a letter detailing an appointment time.

My thing is, I don’t feel the way I did back then. I walk slower with more of a limp on my left hip, but I can walk for a good 10 minutes most days without feeling bad, I can use my hands and arms, almost feel all of my feet etc and I am not struggling to talk, eat or cough anymore.

So since I’ve managed to get through this year and feel 90% back to “normal” is it worth having an assessment? I will pass it with flying colours the way I am at the minute… what shud I do? My friend said struggle the way I did earlier this year but I cudnt do that as its not me, am I wasting the assessor’s time. Thanks

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

Anonymous
3 years ago

Forgive my stupidity, PIP?

stumbler
3 years ago

@katfight, having a diagnosis of MS means that you have an incurable, progressive neurological condition. Being relapsing/remitting means that you will have potentially good days, but when, and if, you relapse then things can be very difficult.

This assessment needs to consider you on a very bad day.

There’s quite a lot of useful advice on this website, http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/, although registration and a negligible fee may be required.

@BillyBonza , PIP is the Personal Independence Payment, a disability benefit in the UK.

Anonymous
3 years ago

Ahh ta. Then I agree. I would also add, while I have absolutely no clue about social security legislation in the UK, look in that direction and find out how these assessments are conducted. What’s the rules?

What you might find is they have prescribed ‘tables’ like point score charts under various categories and they’ll mark you a score under each category and that score relates to a prescribed ‘level of disability’. You also might find a lot of the people doing assessments are possibly trained psychologists therefore, for a condition lie MS which is so intangible anyway, you physical disability as can be seen to meet you in person is not what they assess. This is how they get the closest judgment on your condition as they can as it really effects you regardless of whether you are having a good day or bad day.

No one with MS or without is Benjamin Button. Forgive the morbid tone its actually not but we we’re all only going one way since the first breath we took. You have MS, RRMS or whatever. You can experience temporary respite but you are not going to get any better ultimately.

So go, what have you got to lose.

northernlass
3 years ago

I agree with @stumbler as that’s the advise I was given by a lady at MS UK who advises on benefits and sent me a booklet called “The best possible pip claims on physical health, mental health and learning difficulties grounds” a right riveting read I must say.. very informative. The assessor needs to know how bad it can get for you and it sounds like you have some genuine experience of how difficult life can be on a bad day, so maybe write down your experiences and how it impacted on your day to day life @catfight and letters, documents, list of medications and doctors visits and diagnosis proof, anything to back up your claim as the assessor will need to be given the full picture of how MS can and has effected you.. great news you are on the mend but you still have mobility issues that need to be taken into account and things take you longer so that is also a valid aspect of your life at present. let us know how it goes as I haven’t had mine yet.. I applied months ago when I was at my worst and just diagnosed and like you I am also feeling better and more able but who knows what tomorrow may bring and It wouldn’t be fair to be at the back of the queue having to wait another 6 months if financial support is needed. Best of luck @catfight and if possible ..if there is time.. get the booklet and read up about what to expect so that you are ready and remember that they don’t just give benefits away like many people think.. if you are entitled to it then take it.. Best wishes 🙂

stumbler
3 years ago

@katfight , here’s a link for MS-UK to acquire a copy of that booklet :- http://www.ms-uk.org/welfarerightsandbenefits as advised by @northernlass above.

katfight
3 years ago

@stumbler and @northernlass

Thank you so much for the info, I am so nervous now about this, I found in the last couple of days I shake constantly, anxiety I think.. i hate talking about it, I can’t even talk to my family about it, I avoid Dr’s and ms nurse if I can, i just find i break down every time it’s discussed and I’ve never been one for emotions lol.. ok so I’m gonna have a good read of what i can and get prepared to talk. I’ll up date u northernlass to hopefully give u a heads up x

mrvelocity
3 years ago

I’ve got a home visit in October for PIP and I was unable to walk properly back when I put my claim in.

All you can do is plead your bad attributes and even preparing your own meals can award points if you struggle with making meals. When I make myself something, I don’t make it from scratch, it’s usually a ready meal or frozen chicken & chips. My diet is not good in most cases as I dislike so many types of food.

Go to the meeting because they will decide if you need help and if you get the base payment, that will help you.

katfight
3 years ago

@mrvelocity I was the same as u, unable to walk, hold anything, wash etc.. not now, altho I look at how I’ve adapted myself without realising. I moved into my mum’s due to a few reasons but was good for me at the time as she had me an extension put in downstairs, so I don’t go upstairs unless I gotta shower, I don’t cook at all and I used to from scratch (dad and sister are chefs) but if I gta cook it’s frozen or microwave.. I’m glad I asked for advice as I didn’t realise how much I’ve changed in order to adapt, I thought I only had a limp and nothing else… ok I need to rethink this 🙂 thank u and good luck with your assessment x

mrvelocity
3 years ago

@catfight If you’ve had to move back with your parents and they had to build or accommodate for your disability then that is a sure sign you need PIP.

katfight
3 years ago

@northernlass so the assessor came and i had a really good chat about how great i am… i cud kick myself as I’m not doing great I’m just trying to stay positive and in control and if I say I’m great then I must be lol.. so I think I’ve probably scored myself zero. God I’m such a muppet. I was just looking at this pip scoring thing on citizens advice bureau and scored myself on this from what I said and i got 2.. ah well nothing more to do. Good luck with urs x

northernlass
3 years ago

Aww @catfight I really hope the assessor saw through you saying how well you are at the moment a realised that you may get worse at anytime or understood that you have had it harder than this. I was told that one of the criteria to gain points was that yes okay you may be able to climb the stairs but it takes you longer than a person without your disabilities, as does walking to the shops and that fatigue can hit you at any time making your life so much harder. When you get the chance if you are unhappy with the result then APPEAL.. get together as much information as you possibly can and please do and try and get that booklet about claiming PIP if you have a disability.. and it’s great you are being positive hun but the financial cover is there to help with the days you may have more difficulties.. what happens if your mum is busy.. you need to go to a physio appointment and you can’t walk to the bus stop 200 yards away because you are having a difficult day.. you need to pay for a taxi out of your own pocket so times like that you need more financial support.. Fingers crossed for you catfight.. let us know if you hear anything.. but in the mean time.. get on the blower to the benefits lady at MS UK and explain all to her and she will help you with what you may need to say .. Good luck

katfight
3 years ago

@northernlass thanks for info, I will definitely get the booklet and get on the phone once I hear my results. Uv kinda put things into sense re getting around if there’s no help, I never really thought of that so I guess it’s time to stop hiding and face up to this.. what was embarrassing tho was the woman was in my house 5 mins then asked the dreaded question “so can you explain what you where diagnosed with and how this came about” I burst out crying haha… i thought this whole saying of i have ms would get easier but nope it’s not lol..

theresa
3 years ago

Hi
I was assessed earlier this yr & was amazed to be given both mobility & livingg payments but actually I realised how much I have had to adapt & my MS is definitely worse than a few months ago. Yes, I can still climb the stairs but boy so slowly & my walking is really poor now.
You must take yr worst day.
My advice is fifth go for the assessment.
Theresa

katfight
3 years ago

@theresa thank you. I did have the assessment on Monday. I don’t think it went to well but I guess I’ve just gta wait and see. 🙂

bubblesgalore
3 years ago

my pip was unsuccesful. the panel consisted of a solicitor a gp and a home care manager. i was aware that the latter was the hardest to appreciate my condition. sad, as i work for social services and i know the good work they do xx

katfight
3 years ago

@bubblesgalore was the panel because of an appeal? X

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.