Last reply 1 month ago
Shingles vaccine

Hi everyone
Just a bit of info if possible
Is the shingles jab ok with ms?
There seems to be some debate about live vaccines?
I think the standard shingles vaccine is live but that an inactive one is potentially available.
Good to hear any views
Tessa

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 month ago

@tessa , this is a question for your MS Nurse, as the usual vaccine is live.

This vaccination is offered as part of the Lemtrada protocol, if you have not previously been exposed to the virus.

criswell
1 month ago

I had shingles when I was 12 and about 2 years later I started having symptoms related to MS,coincidence?

grandma
1 month ago

I have Shingles at the moment, was told by the doc at the A&E 10 days ago when I went in by Ambulance, all one needs on top of ms & cancer! So am very interested in the vaccine if it stops it happening again, so I’ll watch with interest!😍

californiadreamin
1 month ago

@tessa There are basically two shingles vaccines , the common one is Zostavax and its protection only lasts about 5 years and its not super effective. The key is to time it to give you the best protection when you need it most. It is a live vaccine. Last year a new vaccine for shingles came out: shingrix It is now the recommended vaccine in the US. It is far more effective (90%) and lasts far longer. It is *not* a live vaccine. So in theory it should be far safer and better. The only caveat is that they have not officially approved it for immnucompromised people. It isnt they that have found anything wrong with it, there just isnt enough data to show that its totally safe.

However, based on the results so far, it seems like shingrix is a far better bet. It will likely give you far better protection from shingles (which can have its own long term effects) plus its also not a live vaccine.

I think it has been approved in Europe as well see the links below. For my wife, in a few years (when we turn 50) we will surely use shingrix.

@grandma, yes it can happen again, consider taking it once you are completely past it

@criswell They really sholdnt be giving the shingles vaccine to 12 year olds. Are you sure thats what you had? If anything you should have had the chicken pox vaccine. The shingles vaccine is meant to be given when your immune system is starting to weaken with age, when the chicken pox infection you had earlier in life starts to reactivate.

https://www.gsk.com/en-gb/media/press-releases/shingrix-approved-in-europe-and-japan-for-the-prevention-of-shingles-in-adults-aged-50-and-over/

https://www.ema.europa.eu/medicines/human/EPAR/shingrix

criswell
1 month ago

Hi californiadreamin.I had Shingles when I was 12 yrs old,not the Shingles vaccine,it didn’t exist back then.Neither did the Chicken Pox vaccine. I had Chicken Pox when I was little(too young to remember when) and that led to me having Shingles when I was 12. It is a really awful disease but I am hesitant to get the vaccine because I am afraid of getting Shingles again.

californiadreamin
1 month ago

@criswell that makes more sense and its actually what you wrote. Sorry I had missed that. Well the new vaccine cant give you shingles, but not getting it will only increase the odds. To your earlier point on if they are related my guess is that something was going on with your immune system and seems like they could be somehow linked. I doubt one caused the other, but maybe somehow both impacted by the same thing?

chezy17
1 month ago

I’ve had the shingles vaccine to hopefully counteract getting shingles as a side affect from taking Cladribine. Seemed fine after I had it, bit of an achy arm but nothing else. I’m 36, not a normal age to have it but hopefully it does it’s job. I’ve had chicken pox 3 times and always get a cold when I come into contact with chicken pox so as a precaution they gave me the shingles vaccine.

potter
1 month ago

I asked my neuro about getting a shingles shot and he said no. He also thinks the pneumonia shot I got last year contributed to my relapse. It was the first relapse I had in 10 years and I had gotten the shot a few days before. I am suppose to get to a booster shot this year, I am going to skip it. Potter

chezy17
1 month ago

@ potter I half think my flu vaccine was what caused my relapse, I still caught a bad case of the flu which I never normally do! Half tempted to skip it this year and risk it! Might fight it off better.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.