Last reply 2 weeks ago
Shingles!!! And emotions???

Hey Everyone! So I’ve been in severe pain constantly the past few days and my doctor couldn’t see me for a couple weeks so went to the ER. They did an ultrasound and CAT scan, but everything looked good. Turned out I did have a UTI which they said spread to my kidneys. I have had kidney infections before, but not like this. Then, I thought I was having an allergic reaction to the antibiotics because I got a rash on my back and I’m allergic to most antibiotics. Turns out to be shingles! This is so unbelievably painful. Curious how long it may have taken others before the pain started to subside…

Also, I have a weird MS symptom that I’m curious if anyone else has experienced. Since about a month before being diagnosed I pretty much lost all my emotions. It was around the time I started feeling drunk/high. That feeling has gone away, but I’m still pretty much emotionless. All I’ve wanted to do was cry because of the horrific pain I’m in, but I physically can’t. The ER doctor was even shocked I wasn’t in tears. I was so afraid they wouldn’t even believe me that I was in so much pain. I know MS can cause depression or even mood swings, but I have nothing. My neurologist even asked me if I was depressed since I was just diagnosed and I told him I felt like my emotions have gone away and he didn’t seem surprised. Has anyone else had this? Part of me doesn’t mind because I used to have severe anxiety, but it’s taken my anxiety away. On the other hand, it’s super frustrating not being able to express myself. Anyways, I hope everyone is doing well. Thanks for hearing my mini rant and questions. I just feel like I’ve been thru so much this year, I’m in so much pain, and frustrated. I also don’t like hospitals, but I’ve been there so many times this year and hospitalized twice. Super frustrating! Take care!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
2 weeks ago

Aw, @mlgilber1 . You’ve had so much going on this year and you are coping as best you can, but your resilience is still being challenged.

Turning off your emotions may just be your way of dealing with all of this.

Be patient with yourself. Things will settle down for you and some form of normality will return.

mlgilber1
2 weeks ago

Thank you @stumbler!

grandma
2 weeks ago

Had Shingles myself a few weeks ago. Had to call an ambulance early hours of the morning was in the much pain and knew it wasn’t the ms. Got sent home same day with anti-biotics, relapsed exactly a week later (quel suprise) called an ambulance again, became rather a regular visitor to A&E, 9 hrs wait the first time, 12 hrs the second. Wonderful NHS, if you are not bleeding to death, have ms (an incurable disease) for which they can do nothing, so it takes up to 12hrs for you to see a doctor and him then send you home because there is nothing he can do.😡

mlgilber1
2 weeks ago

@grandma I’m so sorry you had it recently and relapsed on top of it!!! I hope you’re feeling better. It scares me that any little thing can trigger a relapse. I’m so thankful that my last 2 ER visits I did not have to wait and last night they were packed and had just received 3 trauma patients. I think they got me back right away because I thought it was an allergic reaction. This is so painful! They even gave me fentanyl and oxycodone the other night and it did nothing for the pain and tonight they gave me a lidacaine patch and it’s not helping either. I want to scream!

grandma
2 weeks ago

@mlgilber1 of course you’re in the US so don’t understand our wonderful NHS. It’s great, it’s free, so shouldn’t really complain but the aim is to see everyone in A&E within 4 hours! Recently had a pathologist as a lodger (locum doing maternity cover) When you get through the famous doors and get triaged thats the point at which they count the under 4 hrs. This usually takes 2-3 hrs, they then invariably decide that you need a blood test (this is where the pathologist came in, he was with me the time I had the Shingles and then the relapse) and you are sent back to the waiting area until a phlebotomist can come and take the sample, usual wait 2-3 hrs, when you finally get to see a doctor, he has the flood results but you have taken 9 hrs to get to this stage. I queried at the admission desk why everyone was being seen before me, apparently I was too ill to be passed onto a nurse to be stitched up, or a break technician to plaster me up etc., Apparently on both occasssions I needed to see a doctor cos apparently only he is allowed to say bugger off we can’t help you. Pathologist us trying to change ‘the system’ her thinks 90% of people who present at A&E will need a blood test, unless they’ve got an obvious broken leg etc., so flood test should be done immediately, results usually take 1 hr to progress so by the time you see actual human doctor you can go in waving blood test results immediately. Trouble is this will initially cost more money, but judging by my last 2 visits, waiting times would be dramatically reduced. But sorry I forgot. That is not the object of the NHS, the object is to look as busy as possible whilst giving the smallest amount of care especially to people with degenerative diseases where no one is going to ‘make their name’ by saving lives. But they are great if you fall over in the street, whilst pissed as a newt, need an abortion cos you over indulged, got stabbed on Saturday night , etc., you get my drift. You might have to pay for yours but at least you get treated like a human being.😞😜

mlgilber1
2 weeks ago

@grandma That sounds awful. Health insurance is very very expensive here, but I am so thankful that my insurance has been free and has covered everything so far. Wait times can get up to quite a few hours, the nurse last night even said 12 hr wait times before, but it usually depends on the day and time. Unfortunately weekends are filled with intoxicated people taking time away from the people who truly need attention. I’m very thankful that so far this year my hospital visits have gone really well and everyone was really friendly. I’ve been so many times this year. I feel like it’s a second home! Lol

sm050
2 weeks ago

Hi there, so sorry to hear you got shingles. I got shingles about a year ago after my course of steroids (I had just been diagnosed to so i put it towards a crappy immune system and a decent dose of stress). For me what really helped with the pain is capsian oitment (DO NOT RUB your eyes after, its made out of the thing that make chili peppers spicy. Not sure why it worked but it really did) or voltern gel (as long as your kidneys are working fine and your rash is scabbed over). The pain lasted about three weeks AFTER the rash disappeared but it did fade eventually. Otherwise, spoil yourself ! I’m serious, I find in my experience (I’m a nurse as well) shingles (well all viruses really) feed off stress. So stay at home and do your favourite things, allow people to spoil you for a couple of weeks. As for your emotions, this sounds like witch medicine but try meditation. That’s what I have been doing when I feel checked out and I found it helps me to be more intune with myself both physically and mentally as it focuses on simply being aware of your thoughts and feelings. That might help with just recognizing your going through a lot and its ok to feel checked out. Best of luck, message me if you have any questions 🙂

mlgilber1
2 weeks ago

@sm050 Thank you for all that great advice! I’ll definitely try those medications and meditation. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

potter
2 weeks ago

You said this started with a UTI you didn’t know you had. I use to have UTI’s almost constantly as soon as I would get through a round of antibiotics another one would rear it’s ugly head. Then I read a article by a urologists that said MS patients should take a 1000mg tablet of Vit C at bedtime and that would burn away the bacteria. So I decided to try it and it worked, I haven’t had a UTI in 10 years. The 1000mg was to strong for me so I take 500mg of Vit C every night. Potter

mlgilber1
2 weeks ago

@potter Thank you! I will definitely try that!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.