Last reply 1 month ago
Shift.ms facelift

Hi all

We’re always trying to make the experience better for our community to help connect with others who understand. Earlier in the year, we surveyed the community to find out how we could improve Shift.ms, and the latest version of the site is the result of that feedback.

Users told us that they were mostly accessing the site on the move, so we’ve designed the site to be a better experience on mobile and tablet. You also told us that you were frustrated with notifications getting lost, so we’ve tried to make it easier to find them and to access messages.

You said you’d like to be able to follow the conversations that were important to you, so we’ve added a bookmark functionality and now you can easily return to a bookmarked conversation. We’ve added support buttons to posts so you can easily show support to other members.

We learned what you thought were the core actions on the site and put them at the top of the homepage. So now you can view ‘Stories’, access useful information in ‘MS: what now’, find MSers through ‘Connect’, and start a conversation using ‘Say something’.

We’ve also refined the overall navigation of the site – you can now get back to the homepage from wherever you are on the site by tapping the Shift.ms logo at the top of every page. All of the site’s content is now accessible through the content menu which is in the top left.

We hope you’ll enjoy these changes to the Shift.ms website. Thank you for helping us make it better for everybody. With your help we’ll continue to improve – we couldn’t do this without you.

Any q’s? Have a watch of the vid: https://shift.ms/take-a-tour

Big ups to the dev team in getting us here!

Enjoy exploring.
George

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

nutshell88
12 months ago

Greetings from Saudi Arabia

Many thanks for the major changes.
You finished them in a short time not sure when you started upgrading but the site was off for one day or less.

Thanks again @gpep and thanks to Shift.MS team 👍🏻

Kind regards 🌷
Reem

bensdad
12 months ago

Very confusing! unsure where half the stuff is, I’m not the most tech savvy and was only getting use to the old site. Unsure if the updates are finished, I can’t find half the stuff. Not very user friendly. Mr negative! 🙁

Anonymous
12 months ago

Hi @bensdad do the take a tour thing it’s helpful

sambillington
12 months ago

Hi all, for anyone who wants to take a look around the site or familiarise themselves with any new functionality or find where stuff is, we crated this handy video to help you: https://shift.ms/take-a-tour

cherish
12 months ago

Good morning to you @gpeps

This looks fab.

Only problem is that it’s the same 404 on mobile phone.

If I was ‘mentioned’ or someone replied to my thread it’s also 404.

Not really a big problem though as I can scroll pretty quickly 😂, just thought I’d mention it.

Great though, it looks ace xx

markp
12 months ago

Just checked and the 404 notification problem @cherish mentioned is still on my laptop too!

Not to worry though, was a touch confused yesterday when I couldn’t get on the site, had no idea you was giving us an update, very snazzy!

bensdad
12 months ago

Thanks Craig, I just got use to the old set up. Old dog new tricks syndrome! ..LOL

tracyd
12 months ago

Shame the 404 error wasn’t fixed while this was being done 🙁

sambillington
12 months ago

Hi guys – thank for the feedback – don’t worry the 404 error is on our hit list and will be dealt with very shortly – we’ll keep you posted and update you when it’s fixed. Thanks for your patience.

tracyd
12 months ago

@sambillington

With the best will in the world, we will believe that when it happens – it’s been at the top of the list since it was introduced a year and half ago in the last ‘upgrade’

tracyd
12 months ago

I will leave the same feedback I think I left last time the site was ‘upgraded’ – I can’t locate the actual post I made last time because the search function is too busy congratulating itself for returning something within a few seconds to go back more than a year looking for things.

– 404 Error introduced in the last upgrade is persistent
– The new Notifications icon is useless because selecting @someone mentioned you returns the 404 error
– There is no way to see posts made by yourself – MS – Memory problems – how do we find stuff ?
– Recent comments and recent conversations has disappeared – the closest thing we had to helping with memory problems
– Mobile presentation format
– scrolling bars falling off the side of the screen just hides content
– throwing the video content in makes page scrolling difficult on browsers as the videos clog up the scroll area
– There is no way to see content updated since your last visit – MS – Memory problems – not helpful really

Its centred and looks less lopsided but the functionality has been regressed not progressed I’m afraid

shiftmsdevteam
12 months ago

@tracyd thanks for the feedback. The 404 is main issue we’ll fix right way – we appreciate this must be annoying, so we are on that now. We’ll get @sarahshift to follow up with you and she can get some more detailed feedback off you – so we can make sure we can address the issues you have brought up or explain why certain decisions were made. We’re constantly trying to improve things now, so any feedback is welcome and we’re always looking for members to be part of the development process, so I’ll get @sarahshift to give you some info on that too if you’re interested?. Thanks! Shift.ms Dev Team

shiftmsdevteam
12 months ago

@tracyd @markp @cherish The 404 issue should be resolved now – thanks for your input guys!

cherish
12 months ago

Great.
It’s all good here

Thank You xx

markp
12 months ago

I too can confirm that it works now!

shiftmsdevteam
12 months ago

markp
12 months ago

Just scrolled through some of my notifications, not looked at them all yet, 9 pages is too many to tackle with my attention span!

Looks like it goes back 2 years & 2 months, I wonder if I was happier then!!!

sarahshift
12 months ago

Hi @tracyd The 404 issue is now fixed – hurrah!

To see posts you have created – go to your profile (top right hand user menu) and it lists all posts you have made for up to a year underneath your bio. In time it will list all your posts, this is something we’re improving.

About not being able to see the most recent comments – The feed now pushes the most recent posts and conversations to the top of the stream. We’ve also added in a bookmark functionality so you can save anything you want to return to at a later stage.

Would you be able to share more info on the other points you’ve mentioned?

– Mobile presentation format
– scrolling bars falling off the side of the screen just hides content
– throwing the video content in makes page scrolling difficult on browsers as the videos clog up the scroll area
– There is no way to see content updated since your last visit

Email me [email protected] or you can fill in this form – https://shift.ms/ive-spotted-something-thats-broken-2 – which will go direct to our developers.

Thanks
Sarah

tracyd
12 months ago

404 now seems to have gone and notifications take you to the required thread.

To expand on the mobile / video’s comment – when there is a dirty great big piece of video taking up most of your screen scrolling is almost impossible without starting the video

nutheadmom
11 months ago

Difficult to post a profile pic … Why do you have to “crop” before it allows you to post. Many have vision or hand coordination issues much worse than I do and that damn thing was awful. I recommend putting it to where you can choose to just submit without the insistence of cropping!!!

tracyd
11 months ago

@sarahshift

Would someone please take a look at the PM / Notification settings.

Over the course of the weekend I received 11 notifications for the same PM – and it appeared in my inbox 11 times in the same message thread – another message (from the sender of the other one – saying they’d seen it send 4 times – not 11) appeared and notified twice

Thanks

sarahshift
11 months ago

ok thanks @tracyd – I’ll flag it up to the developers and get back to you

tracyd
11 months ago

@sarahshift
Has the edit post function been removed in the facelift ? Before we could correct posts for a short amount of time after they were posted and now the button seems to have gone 🙁

sarahshift
11 months ago

@tracyd It’s on the list of things for the developers to do, bear with us for a couple of weeks on this one.

londonlad
11 months ago

one thing i have noticed is there is no longer timestamps on individual posts in the chain, just the latest one.

and if someone comments on a super old thread, you’ll see the time of the latest post but not the rest of the history.. it kind of makes it difficult to know how recent the comments are..

londonlad
11 months ago

actually, not only is there no timestamp on posts within the thread…the way its timestamped suggests that the poster, made their post at the time of the latest post. lol difficult to explain

but when i submit this… it will show that gpeps posted the original thread “a few second ago” which is of course not accurate..

let me know if this isn’t clear.

noelie
11 months ago

I agree with londonlad, and was about to do the same comment, having a time stamp on every comment would be very useful. Glad it’s not just me having an issue with it. I do like the new way of pushing the conversation with the most recent comment on top of the list tough and the bookmark (although i haven’t tried it yet). Thanks for your work.

gpeps
11 months ago

Agree with you both. Lack of time stamp was not intended and it is on the to list with the dev team. Bear with us pls

lilbird
11 months ago

Hi all 😊

I’ve not been on for what feels like ages & now as I return everything is different 😮 think I’m managing to find things slowly, nice to see the take a tour option I might have to try that later when I’m in a better place concentration wise! 😉 Definitely agree with @londonlad about the time stamp issue being confusing. Really much better to have a time on each individual comment & if that’s not possible, much better if each new comment didn’t adjust the apparent time stamp on the original post- what’s the point of that?! Very confused for a while there before I figured out that’s what was happening. Also the text is much smaller now due the new centred layout, can’t be easy for those with sight issues. Sorry to sound so negative though, I’m sure over all it’ll be great once I figure it all out 😊

lilbird
11 months ago

Aha other people were saying the same thing while I was typing! 😊

londonlad
11 months ago

Cheers @gpeps

Wanted to give feedback, as this site has been massive for me since diagnosis!

Thanks so much for creating it!

lilbird
11 months ago

Yep I’m starting to get to grips with where everything is now so that good 😁 but have noticed that if you are in either friends or bookmarks & click on a post when you click back after reading it takes you back to all conversations regardless of which other list you were in. Not sure if theres a way round this that I haven’t figured out yet but it’s really frustrating.

shiftmsdevteam
11 months ago

@lilbird @loondonlad @noelie Thanks so much for your feedback here’s a brief summary of what we are doing to sort these issue out:

Timestamps – Yep you’re right this is confusing and we’ll get on with sorting it out ASAP (i’ll share our thoughts once we have had our design boffins look at it)

History (remembering which stream you were on when clicking back) – this is annoying and a confusing user experience – we’ll work with our developers to sort it out and keep you posted.

Text size – we’ll do some accessibility testing and see if we can find a better solution for this.

Bear with us and we’ll keep you in the loop with developments over then next week, and again thanks for the feedback all!!!

Many thanks

Sam
The Shift.ms Dev team

shiftmsdevteam
11 months ago

Sorry @londonlad please see above (my fat fingered typing let me down)

londonlad
11 months ago

@shiftmsdevteam

Thanks for the update.

My feedback would be that each individual update to a thread would have a time stamp. So for example, when I submit this post. It should reference =now()

The original post should have its own time stamp, and then perhaps one more time stamp to indicate “most recent update” so = timestamp of last post.

Keep up the good work team 🙂
And thank you

shiftmsdevteam
10 months ago

Hi @londonlad @noelie @lilbird, as promised here is what we’ll update this week with: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kqloeZrYjsrmlS7YP0505UA42hjVo8lL/view?usp=sharing

The only slight addition is we may also add in “Posted: 1 year ago”

What do you guys think..?

Thanks

Sam

stumbler
10 months ago

@shiftmsdevteam , that looks good to me. It gives the timeline of the original post and subsequent comments. 🙂

londonlad
10 months ago

Hi @shiftmsdevteam

I like it. I think the “posted” label should be used for context for new users.

Plus, would it might be useful to have “most recent post” label + timestamp of the newest post!

Cheets

shiftmsdevteam
10 months ago

@stumbler @londonlad – thanks guys we’ll push this live shortly.. thanks for all the feedback

Cheers
Sam

shiftmsdevteam
10 months ago

@stumbler @lilbird @londonlad @noelie The new timestamps have now been pushed live – it hopefully address posted on and updated issues – thanks for your patience and have great evenings!

Cheers
Sam

edmontonalberta
10 months ago

@shiftmsdevteam

I really, really like the time stamps. It was frustrating not knowing if I was responding to a post from six months ago; or yesterday…

Thanks!

londonlad
10 months ago

@shiftmsdevteam

Cheers Sam,

That’s great. I’m not sure how much effort it is to make changes, and whether your
Environment is tied to monthly cycles to deploy new code etc..
However, to be perfect, I think you missed out the posted label, next to the origninal posted timestamp.

But otherwise, this helps massively, as now I am able to see when people responses the trail of messages.

Cheers

piper71a
10 months ago

Great website. I like the changes much improved from the previous iteration. Looking forward to a stand-alone app. Keep up the good work.
Rodders.

shiftmsdevteam
10 months ago

@edmontonalberta @piper71a – Thanks guys!

@londonlad We do all bigger changes in our dev cycles, but small frontend changes like this are fairly easy to do. We did try the posted label, but when it got down to mobile it all felt too cluttered, so had to go for a compromise – Thanks for the feedback though, always appreciated – We’ll now continue to make tweaks and improvements to the site, so let us know if there is anything else that we can do to make the experience better..

Thanks all

Sam

londonlad
10 months ago

@shiftmsdevteam

Thanks Sam, it’s really appreciated.

One last observation, if you browse the site, and follow then select a thread, if you are not already logged in, it will take you to log in page.
When you log in, it currently brings you back to the homepage.
Could it be changed so it directs you to the link you had initially intensded to follow?

Cheers,

shiftmsdevteam
10 months ago

Hey @londonlad – absolutely it’s on our hit list – we’re currently working on a fix to the “history” issue. It impacts a number of things; including flicking between the different streams – i.e you click on bookmark stream, click into a post and if you click back it returns you to the main stream instead of the bookmark stream – this is indeed annoying UX. Theres a number of subtle refinements underway at the moment. I’ll speak to the rest of the team and find the best way of sharing what we are working on with you guys, so you know whats in the pipeline..

Thanks

Sam

sambillington
1 month ago

@londonlad Drumroll!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042b-1L7jFE

The History issue should now be fixed and live on the site !! let us know your thoughts – but hopefully this should solve some of the annoying UX issues.

Next up will be edit post.

Thanks

Sam

londonlad
1 month ago

Great stuff, thanks Sam,

Cheers for letting me know. The minor details like this, and the support you offer, make this site so effective for us to use!

Cheers,

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.