Last reply 1 year ago
Severe head pain in specific area

Dear All, I would like some reassurance that the head pain I have is normal, well at least normal for us MS-ers. I saw my neurologist on Thursday. When I told her about this head pain, which causes me to groan out loud it’s so intense, she said everyone has those darts of pain (and when it’s not a dart of pain it is there in the background). I have worked for many years with individuals of many ages; if everyone has these head pains how come I have not heard or seen people ‘down tools’ at work and groan etc? In addition, I have had ‘interesting’ sensations in both sides of my neck, like pulses/spasms.

Could you say if you have the same sensations? Many thanks. xxx

PS On another note, I asked the neurologist what type of MS I have. She said: you ask that at every appointment. I responded: …and you’ve never answered. So it is r-r at present, which is as good as it gets; still not on any drugs yet though.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

@lucyh , this previous discussion may help :-

Headaches or migraines with MS

gunner08
1 year ago

@lucyh I was suffering with terrible sharp pains in my head that seemed to start behind my eyeballs and would then spread across my head. I went to see my optician and he asked me lots of questions about what the problem was and gave my eyes a thorough check. It turned out to be ‘dry eye’. Something I had never heard of before but apparently quite a few people suffer with it and it is easily treatable with eye drops.

niccis
1 year ago

I get a stabbing pain in the side of my head at the back and in the top part of my ear. I’ve had it for years and it’s agony. I only started wondering if it was MS related a while ago. Another thing to add to the list when I see the nurse next month.

stumbler
1 year ago

@niccis , your problem may be Trigeminal-Neuralgia (TN).

Have a read through here :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/trigeminal-neuralgia

niccis
1 year ago

@stumbler – thanks. I had thought that- I also get a pain inside my ears like someone is trying to drive a pencil through to the other side! Can come on from something minor like turning my head too far too quickly. All things to add to the list for discussion 😊

wesdyne_otto
1 year ago

Read up on optic neuritis. When my ON flares I get a specific headache that is worse in my affected eye and the area in my head behind it.
I was getting migraines but turned out to be a delightful effect of menopause. HRT treated those successfully.
I regularly see a physiotherapist who works with me to develop stretching programs to help deal with neurological pain.
Good luck.

daniel2025
1 year ago

I have Trigeminal-Neuralgia and the pain is sometimes a pins and needles and sometimes its a burning and sometimes its numbness it effects my ear face and gums in my mouth. I was on amitriptyline for it which worked really well but this medicine is a low dose anti depression pill which worked well for the pain it has to have dosage increased until they find the sweet spot. Unfortunately for me as I have bladder problems this drug and gavapentin interacted with the tablets the give for the bladder every single one they tried so they said we can help the bladder or get you feeling no pain in the face but can’t do both. I dare say this won’t happen to you as everyone reacts different to medicine. amitriptyline is a excellent drug for this type of pain if it wasn’t for the bladder problems I would be still on it today. In my case a friend give me some tramodol as she don’t take them anymore and it put my pain to manageable levels it didn’t get rid of it completely but it was manageable. Key thing zero interactions so I put these findings to my doctor who was happy to prescribe. I did however get a lecture about sharing medicine which I know your not meant to do. At the end of the day you have to pick your battles with ms some you win some you lose but always make sure you are the one left standing don’t let ms win. I’m happy with my pain meds at present I just wish amitriptyline didn’t interact but I want my bladder to be better more then anything so like I say pick your battles.

lucyh
1 year ago

Dear @stumbler, @gunner08, @niccis, @wesdyne_otto, and @daniel2025

Thank so much for all your input into this (I suspect the site was temporarily down as I got a ‘forbidden’ msg last time I tried to thank some of you, and I’m quite sure thank-yous are not forbidden!! 😉

Everything you wrote was helpful…yes, I’m in the menopausal stage…I’ve tried Amitripyline and it makes me so dozy, even on very low amounts that, indeed, I’ve had to pick my fights!…I already take eye drops, so I’m more thinking about cluster headaches as a possibility http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cluster-headaches/Pages/Introduction.aspx here’s the link, for those of you who are, like me, still wondering about this.

Having spent years waiting to be diagnosed and being told I was more or less making it all up, there was little chance I was going to tell a health care professional that the stabbing headache had occurred at the same time a couple of days running. The eye on the same side as the pain was bloodshot. I was also painting at the time of the most severe ‘stab’. It might not be a cluster headache, but it sure is acting like one! I’m going to give cranial osteopathy a go.

Again, thanks to you all, and good luck, lucyh XXX

lucyh
1 year ago

PS I have rigeminal-Neuralgia too…again, I thought it was ‘just me’.

daniel2025
1 year ago

What I can say it does happen with some people where it makes them sleepy it happened to me. If you keep taking them eventually that should stop as your body gets used to the medicine. It’s just a question if you can tolerate the reaction to begin with.

acecolours
1 year ago

I started having tension headaches last month and thought all along that it was stress-induced since I transferred to a new company under a role with lots of pressure.. My headaches start as soon as I wake up. Plus I feel tired all the time since tension have a tendency to affect the shoulders and neck. Tension also has that throbbing sensation behind your eyes so the first thing I did was to go to my optometrist to have my glasses checked. After checking, he told me that my grade has not changed and I dont even have astigmatism.. —-Which then led me to finding a general doctor to have me checked then to the neuro.. and that’s my story. 😀

stumbler
1 year ago

@lucyh , Amitriptyline is a medication that can make you feel drowsy.

It’s best to take it in the early evening, at least 12 hours before you intend to rise the next day.

lucyh
1 year ago

Thanks, @stumbler, I must be one of the ones who, even though taking it at night, just cannot get rid of the sleepy feeling!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.