Last reply 2 months ago
Sativex

Hello all,

Has anyone tried Sativex or other medical Cannabis based meds for leg spasms? I have Secondary Progressive and my symptoms are very leg-centric, particularly with lock-ups / spasms at night. I’m just keen to hear of your experiences with it, up sides, down sides etc? I appreciate that it’s currently not widely available, at least not on general prescription, but with the potential impending rule changes I’m keen to explore my options going forward. I like the idea of using something that I can up and down the dose of based on how severe my symptoms are on a given day. I’m currently not mediating at all.

Thanks.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

arbee
2 months ago

I’ve never used Sativex but I have tried cbd oil which I think helps with my anxiety attacks although being a regular cannabis user I’m not a good guinea pig, I probably have a lot of it in my system at all times anyway. I only have occasional leg spasms so I’m not sure how useful it is for that but I would say it is certainly worth a try, the stuff I get is around £25 a bottle which lasts me for a couple of months so it’s not overly expensive, I’m not aware of any potential side effects so I’d say it’s worth giving it a shot

mark-o
2 months ago

Thanks Arbee.

stumbler
2 months ago

@mark-o , Sativex prescriptions are as rare as rockinghorse poo!

Now, medical marijuana is an interesting subject, although I have little knowledge of the acquisition process. Your Neuro would probably suggest Baclofen, a muscle relaxant.

mark-o
2 months ago

Thanks @stumbler mmm Baclofen, I tried that for a while and really didn’t get on with it. It worked for sure, but I have 1 good leg and 1 grim leg so both legs loosened up which wasn’t overly helpful. I appreciate it’s tricky when you have lopsided issues though. Baclofen felt too much like a hangover in the morning too. It’ll be interesting to see how Sativex pans out if the rules change.

robb
2 months ago

Hi I have some experience with sativex as I have a friend in wales who gets it on prescription. He kindly let me have it when I see him 🙂 I find it works very well for my spasms, I have primary progressive and my spasms are also bad. It just doesn’t last very long. At the moment I use a decent vapouriser for my cannabis! Also I’m using an exercise bike which also helps the spasms. Oh and just say I did see Satibex on sale in Amsterdam for €140

stumbler
2 months ago

@mark-o , Baclofen may be an answer for you, but I appreciate that it is a double-edged sword. You need enough to relieve the spasticity, but not too much to create weakness.

Also, if the “morning after” is the problem, ensure that you don’t take it too late in the evening. Aim for no later than 12 hours before you intend to rise the next day, to aid sleep but avoid the hangover. Then tweak the timing accordingly to find the balance.

The future of Sativex is “interesting”. If medical marijuana becomes a possibility for us, then the bottom will fall out of the market for Sativex. Big Pharma will have to reduce the price to avoid the ravages of the law of supply and demand. Shame! 😉

nutshell88
2 months ago

You can order something like it cannibis base from iherb either oil hand cream or even for shower
Just type natural hemb but of course sativex might be more trusted

simone2
2 months ago

I use cannabis high in cbd at night with a vaporizer, its great for pain and with spasms

mark-o
2 months ago

Thanks all, very helpful.

george2sticks
2 months ago

Hello Mark-o. I am new to this site,but would like to add that I have used Sativex for about a year now and find it very useful.I keep it in the fridge and find that 2 squirts of it under the tongue,about an hour before bedtime,helps to calm the leg spasticity and tremors all night.It also knocks me out for a good sleep.

mark-o
2 months ago

Cheers George, that’s good to know.

george2sticks
2 months ago

It”s great for pain relief too mark-o;but take care if you use it during the day as it tends to make your legs relax too much resulting in falls !!!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.